Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Heads Up! Senate TSA Oversight Hearing -- 17 Nov

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads Up! Senate TSA Oversight Hearing -- 17 Nov

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by doober
Phone calls made.

Lautenberg's office not particularly helpful, almost obstructionist.

Menendez' office, although it took time to get through, was extremely courteous.
I had the same experience with Lautenberg. The staffer on the line was almost openly hostile.

I made sure my comments got through, though. I didn't call Menedez' this morning, I wanted to concentrate on Lautenberg since he actually sits on the committee.

Did you see the story about the state legislators holding a press conference today to protest the screenings?? Maybe THAT will get through to Frankie.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by NationalOptOutDay
I put the information up on optoutday.com - as well as on the twitter feed. the only chance we have at changing things is via legislation, since the administration won't budge. This may be one of our best shots!
CORRECTED: This is a full committee hearing - Sen Rockefeller is the committee chair, Sen Dorgan is the subcommittee chair. The top post has been updated.

Great! But the subcommittee chairman is Sen Byron Dorgan (D-ND) (202) 224-2551, not Sen Rockefeller.

Sen. Rockefeller is the chair of the Senate Committee on Commerce and an ex-officio member of all the subcommittees, including Aviation.

The first post in the thread has the URL and phone for all subcommittee members; you're welcome to copy/point to that.

Last edited by neko; Nov 15, 2010 at 10:14 am
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by neko
Great! But the subcommittee chairman is Sen Byron Dorgan (D-ND) (202) 224-2551, not Sen Rockefeller.

Sen. Rockefeller is the chair of the Senate Committee on Commerce and an ex-officio member of all the subcommittees, including Aviation.

The first post in the thread has the URL and phone for all subcommittee members; you're welcome to copy/point to that.
It's not a subcommittee hearing. It's a FULL committee. I just called the communications director to confirm this. Where are you getting it's a subcom hearing?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Nevermind saw it got updated in the first post. I just have to edit my letter to include pissys insolence on TV today.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NationalOptOutDay
to the OP: please change your post. This is a FULL COMMITTEE hearing!
"WASHINGTON, D.C.—The U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation announces the following full committee hearing on Transportation Security Administration oversight."

http://commerce.senate.gov/public/in...1-de668ca1978a
Top post is updated with all committee members (it's mostly overlapping). The short list of witnesses (TSA head Pistole only) has now been posted, as well.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
I've just e-mailed Senator Warner, and I will call his office on Monday. Needless to say, it won't be me asking him to congratulate TSA.
I just emailed him myself.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Damn damn damn. None of my Congresscritters (I'm in Nashville) on any committees. Let us know if there's anything we non-constituents can do. (I'm glad to help write more letters, for one thing.)
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Damn damn damn. None of my Congresscritters (I'm in Nashville) on any committees. Let us know if there's anything we non-constituents can do. (I'm glad to help write more letters, for one thing.)
First post in the thread -- If you don't have a senator on the committee, contact the chairman of the committee (Sen Rockefeller) and subcommittee (Sen Dorgan).

You can and should also contact your own senators and representative and let them know what you think - it's just that they won't be at this particular hearing

From the top level Senate and House pages, you can find the name and homepage of your congresspersons. Each homepage is different, but they all have some kind of contact link with an email webform and a list of addresses and phone numbers for their DC and local offices.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Let us know if there's anything we non-constituents can do. (I'm glad to help write more letters, for one thing.)
I believe that Committees are a different animal entirely. I think it's OK for a non-constituent to call and express opinions to a member, just don't outright mention you aren't a constituent. However, if you are a constituent, then by all means say, "As a constituent I am shocked and appalled at TSA's abuse of the American public and I will be watching this Committee hearing very closely to inform my decision to vote for Senator Such and So in the next election." Then launch into the script of:

We are not saying that people should not be screened, we want effective screening that respects our human dignity. It is a violation of the Fourth Amendment to offer someone an electronic strip search or sexual assault for condition of travel. The TSA is egregiously out of line in subjecting innocent people to invasive, abusive, and disgusting practices such as these, and I therefore encourage the Senator (Representative) to rein in the TSA and ensure that The Constitution is respected.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
When you call, ask to speak to the office's Legislative Assistant who handles TSA issues. Otherwise, the intern/staffer at the front desk will just take your name down and send you a form letter in a few weeks.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
? What is the name of the full committee so i can have the correct committee names in the letter
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
I've contacted all my own Congresspeople and Senators as well as those on the committee.

We're making progress but have to keep this in peoples' faces and get the general public outraged...

Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:52 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
emails sent.

Calls made.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
? What is the name of the full committee so i can have the correct committee names in the letter
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation and Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security.

Members are listed on both homepages (mostly overlapping).
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Letter going out to Boxer, Feinstein, Pelosi

I am writing concerning the use of whole body imagers as a primary screening method at TSA airport checkpoints.

I recently flew from SFO on a Friday evening. All passengers were being sent through the new millimeter wave machine. I exercised my right to opt out. I did so because I am not comfortable having a stranger in a secret room looking at my naked body. I am also not convinced that the machines are safe, especially for frequent fliers. The risks from the millimeter wave technology in use at SFO are not well studied. The backscatter type machines clearly seem risky to me, as radiation exposure is cumulative. I am not willing to risk my long-term health just to travel.

After I opted out from the scanner, I received a pat down which included the screener placing his hands inside my pants and underwear and then running his hands up my thigh until they reached my genitals. I found the whole process extremely disturbing and revolting.

I am a top tier frequent flier with American and Alaska Airlines. I typically make 2 cross country trips most months, with occasional trips to Europe and Canada. The majority of my trips are discretionary. I am so upset by the new screening requirements that I am considering giving up all non-required flying. If many of us did that, it would certainly hurt the airline industry.

I do not object to reasonable, effective security. I believe the walk-through metal detectors work well without being intrusive. I accept that my bags will be scanned. I believe random explosives swab tests are quite useful. I object to invasive techniques that do little, if anything, to improve security.

I believe these techniques are way beyond the restrictions of the fourth amendment of our constitution. I hope you will support the rights of Americans to travel without being subject to unreasonable searches of their person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.