Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

List of Airport Alternatives without Full Body Scanners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List of Airport Alternatives without Full Body Scanners

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by gatelouse

True, that's likely too long a drive despite the number of flights available. So PDX is off the list for SEA. Salisbury, MD likewise (for DC).

Why keep an airport like PDX off the SEA list? The three hour distance assumes the list is exclusively for people that live in the city where the airport is. What if someone lived an hour from SEA and two hours from PDX?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:18 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by gatelouse
An opt-out guarantees a thorough frisk. I'm aiming for the traveler who wants neither the NoS nor the frisk, and is willing to drive 2-3 hours on that principle. (Yes, random secondaries are always possible...and don't alarm that WTMD!)

Didn't mean to jump on you gatelouse. As another poster pointed out, I-5 is practically a parking lot from Longacres to Northgate at any given time of the day so it rankles us locals a bit to read that PDX is a viable alternative to SEA. I've done that drive enough over the past 30 years to know that it's not worth the aggravation anymore. That's all I was getting at.

A key missing data point w/r/t PDX is that one can fly SeaPort Air (out of PDX's biz aviation area, a five minute walk from the main terminal) to Seattle's Boeing Field (BFI), which is actually much closer to d/t Seattle than SeaTac, without any TSA interference whatsoever. But that's another topic for another thread.

Last edited by essxjay; Nov 13, 2010 at 9:25 am
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Minneapolis/St. Paul area:
- Rochester (RST)

About a 80-90 minute drive from MSP; downside is service is limited to ORD (AA), DTW (DL) and MSP (DL) for about 10 daily flights all on 50-seat RJs.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
ISP can be reached by taking the Long Island Railroad from Penn Station in NYC (or from the Jamaica station) to Ronkonkoma (1 hr. 20 min ride), and then taking a 5-minute shuttle to the ISP airport from the train station. LIRR schedule is at http://lirr42.mta.info/sfweb/faces/departSchedules.jspx
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:30 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Gregg
Why keep an airport like PDX off the SEA list? The three hour distance assumes the list is exclusively for people that live in the city where the airport is.
I see no such assumption underlying the list.

Re: Chicago area, what about Rockford?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 14, 2010 at 12:11 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:52 am

One negative-

I wouldn't recommend taking a more expensive alternative. As it is, the airlines are a potential ally in the struggle against invasive security. If people start taking more expensive flights to avoid said security, the interests of the airlines will no longer be aligned with those of travelers.

(Of course, revenue is more important than ticket price, but I don't know how to determine that.)
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: Frontier EarlyReturns
Great list! One thing to add, for the Denver area the Colorado Springs airport is NoS free.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
You can avoid the "nudeoscope" in CLT by using C checkpoint.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
COS is still NoS-free, and is an alternative to DEN. Frontier and UA have flights between COS and DEN.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred
MSP alternative... EAU - about 70 miles or so east of MSP. 3-4 daily departures to ORD via UA.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:30 pm

Bakersfield is not really a good alternative to LAX, unless you can fly direct from there to your destination, and they only fly to a few cities -- Phoenix, DEN, SFO, I think. Otherwise you get to LAX anyway to connect, and given LAX's layout the chances are high you'll need to reclear security anyway.

Plus it is really quite a long way away -- 3 hours minimum, more in traffic.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:32 pm

I always use BUR as an alternative to LAX. No body scanning machines but I have seen them conduct NOT enhanced patdowns at the gate. Not sure if its random or selected.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Good evening, FT! I'll be online for the next couple of hours to work on this list some more.

Originally Posted by Gregg
Why keep an airport like PDX off the SEA list? The three hour distance assumes the list is exclusively for people that live in the city where the airport is.
Originally Posted by essxjay
I-5 is practically a parking lot from Longacres to Northgate at any given time of the day so it rankles us locals a bit to read that PDX is a viable alternative to SEA.
There has been much passionate debate about PDX as an alternative to SEA. I think the right answer is to give Portland its own metro entry, with PDX the obvious choice.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
ISP can be reached by taking the Long Island Railroad from Penn Station...
An excellent point! I'll add transit directions to airports that have accessibility. I believe there's a short taxi ride required from Ronkonkoma station, right?

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
You can avoid the "nudeoscope" in CLT by using C checkpoint.
Another good point with a larger insight: many major airports have NoS-free checkpoints. Often this requires a careful choice of carriers. What I'll do is to put a disclaimer/how-to-use note at the top noting that a quick scan of the FT NoS location thread is worthwhile.

Originally Posted by beauvoir
Great list! One thing to add, for the Denver area the Colorado Springs airport is NoS free.
Originally Posted by mre5765
COS is still NoS-free, and is an alternative to DEN. Frontier and UA have flights between COS and DEN.
How could I forget the Denver area! COS for DEN in the next update.

Originally Posted by mersk862
Minneapolis/St. Paul area:
- Rochester (RST)

About a 80-90 minute drive from MSP; downside is service is limited to ORD (AA), DTW (DL) and MSP (DL) for about 10 daily flights all on 50-seat RJs.
Originally Posted by AirShuttle6162
MSP alternative... EAU - about 70 miles or so east of MSP. 3-4 daily departures to ORD via UA.
Thanks for the MSP reports. Also note that many MSP checkpoints don't have a NoS at all.

Originally Posted by whitearrow
Bakersfield is not really a good alternative to LAX, unless you can fly direct from there to your destination, and they only fly to a few cities -- Phoenix, DEN, SFO, I think. Otherwise you get to LAX anyway to connect, and given LAX's layout the chances are high you'll need to reclear security anyway.

Plus it is really quite a long way away -- 3 hours minimum, more in traffic.
Three hours? I rode Bakersfield-LA by Ambus and don't recall it being that long. Having said that, LAX has plenty of closer alternatives as it is, with plenty of mainline service. So I agree, let's pull Bakersfield.

Okay, I believe I've added everyone's suggestions to this point...

Originally Posted by essxjay
Re: Chicago area, what about Rockford?
...including yours. (Which I forgot to acknowledge earlier. Interesting place, that RFD.)

I'll spend an hour a day over the next few days to add links to airports, look up drive times on Google, add new areas, etc. Keep those suggestions coming. In particular, I'm interested in close-in airports with air taxi service like Bedford, MA for BOS.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 14, 2010 at 12:13 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P
SNA is also an alternative to SAN, a little over a 90 minute drive north.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:51 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by schwarm
I wouldn't recommend taking a more expensive alternative. As it is, the airlines are a potential ally in the struggle against invasive security. If people start taking more expensive flights to avoid said security, the interests of the airlines will no longer be aligned with those of travelers.
Absolutely. Come to it, they've already sold us down the river time and again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.