US-China Flight, HKSAR Passport

Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
US-China Flight, HKSAR Passport

I'm not sure what the proper forum is to post this question (it's not HK, nor China, specifically, so here it is - mods, please feel free to move).

A partner at our firm is a dual Canadian-HKSAR passport holder currently living in LA, as a US Permanent Resident (green card holder). We are wanting to fly nonstop SFO-PVG to conduct transactional due diligence, and while it's an easy answer for American citizens (go to the LA Consulate and get a visa), she (the CDN/HKSAR dual citizen) wants to skip that step. She doesn't have a home-return permit, but does have a HKSAR passport and HKID card.

So... obviously, she can get a China visa in her CDN passport through the same LA consulate, but because this is FT, were wondering if there's anything the LA Consulate could do to get her a home-return permit. The LA Consulate can get HKSAR passports liaising with the HK immigration folks, so can the consulate do the same for a HRP with CTS in HK?

Ultimately, the question is can the LA consulate help with getting a home-return permit for a HKSAR/HKID holder?

(Sorry, just to narrow this down, I'm not asking about consular protections on entering as a citizen of one country vs. another, nor whether or not we should get a Chinese visa in her CDN passport)
Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
I asked the same question about two years ago at the Chinese Consulate in L.A. and was told no. I don't know if there has been any change in policy since then. I was told that I have to personally appear in Hong Kong at China Travel Service with a SAR passport (HKID card will not suffice) to apply for the Home Return Permit although someone else could collect it for me when it was ready. You may get more responses in the Hong Kong thread.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Travel Permit (Lüxingzheng), an alternate to the Home Return Permit (Huixiangzheng)

The passport is a national responsibility, so that's why a Chinese embassy or consulate will process such an application even though they simply forward all documents to a SAR government, and since a SAR ID is required to apply for such a passport, they'll even process an application for a SAR ID. However, the Home Return Permit (Huixiangzheng) is issued by the Guangdong Security Bureau through the CTS, and no such relationship exists between them and the embassies and consulates.

However, Chinese with HK residency abroad can apply for a "Travel Permit" (Lüxingzheng). The requirements, procedures and the form are only published in Chinese on either L.A.'s or Washington's websites. Here's L.A.'s:

http://big5.fmprc.gov.cn/gate/big5/l.../t755671.htm#3

As in the Huixiangzheng, the Lüxingzheng (if they haven't changed from the one I got a decade ago, which was for one-time use) is also exclusively in Chinese. Flying MU LAX-PVG may be easier than UA SFO-PVG as the permit will surely be recognized by the MU LAX counter. UA SFO counter should have Asian-language staff but no guarantee.

Alternatively, if the stay in Shanghai is less than 48 hours, Americans and Canadians can transit without a visa. You would have to tack on an onward destination outside of Mainland China (such as HK).

http://losangeles.china-consulate.or...sa/t759598.htm
http://losangeles.china-consulate.or...isa/t27600.htm
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks for the info. Are there any other CTS branches outside Hong Kong that she can go ahead and access to apply for the Home Return Permit? Ie, are there offices in say, PVG or better yet, outside of China, that could also issue the HRP? Or is it just through CTS offices in HKG?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:31 am

The HRP can only be issued by CTS in HK and Macau.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Return_Permit
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:10 am

hongkong passport cannot be used to enter china. he can only travel from hong kong with home return permit or travel from oversee with travel permit. he cannot travel with home return permit from oversee. his canadian citizenship is recognized if he is hong kong citizen. but reality is depending the airline agent to board the flight. his visa situation will depend on individual consular officer to decide to issue visa on canadian passport or chinese travel permit.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If she is representing the firm it is best to enter PRC as a citizen of US or CDN using appropriate travel documents.

I have always enter PRC with my multi-entry visa in my CDN passport when on business as a CDN citizen.
I am also a legal holder a home-return permit which is for HK citizens to travel to PRC DIRECTLY FROM HK. That is why it is only issued in HK.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:58 pm

The days when the HRP is only for travel from HK to Mainland are long gone. In fact, the permit has been renamed to something like "mainland access permit" (a native of Cheung Chau or the New Territories doesn't have a "home" to "return" to). The HRP is valid at any Mainland China port of entry regardless of point of origin.

http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/ch...xz/t291781.htm

For the OP's case, it is actually less complicated because she would never need to show her Canadian passport. The US consulates want a proof of US legal presence, which would be the Green Card.

Should she desire to apply for a visa using a Canadian passport, it would actually be cheaper than a US citizen applying for the same.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:52 pm

i have a British passport and Home return permit + HKID

I want to fly from London to Beijing using my home return permit as a Visa for China and british passport as a travel document

Is it possible? will the airline let me board the plane?

thanks
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The airlines usually use IATA Timatic Web; you can fill in the information here and see what the airlines will see.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by tracy12
You're all OK in terms of passing immigration checkpoints. It's going to be boarding that may be an issue. If CA is taking you to PEK, they'll definitely know what an HRP is. If it's BA, they'd probably have Chinese-reading staff knowing what it is. If you don't start from LHR/LGW or have some connection in between, some misunderstandings may happen.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tracy12
i have a British passport and Home return permit + HKID

I want to fly from London to Beijing using my home return permit as a Visa for China and british passport as a travel document

thanks
Cross posting (in 5 different threads, no less!) is a violation of FT terms of service. Our SOP is to ask our questions in one forum and then remain patient.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.