Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What is the average hour wage for TSO screener?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:06 am
mck
Original Poster

I have seen a few different references to starting TSO salary, does anyone have an official reference or knowledge of the wage scales for the TSA?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Google is your friend

http://www.tsa.gov/join/careers/pay_scales.shtm
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:25 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by mck
I have seen a few different references to starting TSO salary, does anyone have an official reference or knowledge of the wage scales for the TSA?
The official reference is, of course, tsa.gov (easily Goggleable):

http://www.tsa.gov/join/careers/pay_scales.shtm

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 20, 2010 at 3:27 pm
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mck
Thinking of joining?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:44 am

Since our taxes pay their salaries, I would say anything above 0$ is way too much.....
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Solve the unemployment crisis in this country!!

^^give every unemployed person a job with the TSA ^^

Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:30 pm
mck
Original Poster

Thank you guys for the references,

Following those links, I get to a page with "Find Your Dream Job, Security Careers, Transportation Security Officer".

It lists TSO with with a Pay Band D/E, corresponding to min/max
D $25,518 $38,277
E $29,302 $44,007

The temptation is indeed great, but I'm working on a different dream job already. Just wanted to have an idea of how attractive/unattractive the salary might be for those seeking a job.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 1:14 pm

Using Laredo & Omaha, as examples that include locality pay, basic screeners make:

$29131.00 / yr.
$2427 / mo.
$606 / wk.
$15.15 / hr.

Around double minimum wage, depending on where you live. Extremely attractive for the burger flipper / walmart greeter crowds.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by Batmanuel
Around double minimum wage, depending on where you live. Extremely attractive for the burger flipper / walmart greeter crowds.
That's just disgusting. Totally disgusting. Double minimum wage for a job that requires less effort, less intelligence, and less customer service orientation than a Walmart greeter...

Our tax dollars at work. Or in the case of TSA, perhaps not so much "at work" as it should be. (Just Google "TSA sleeping" to find out why.)
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Payscale.com:

Hourly Rate Snapshot for Security Guard Jobs
Updated: 15 Oct 2010

$9.00 - $12.01 per hour

That's private sector. What kind of benefits does a TSA screener get?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by clrankin
Double minimum wage for a job that requires less effort, less intelligence, and less customer service orientation than a Walmart greeter...
Not even close to being true. At least try to stay in the realm of reality with your rants.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
If I was down and out, I'd probably get a job there just so I could get a hold of the latest SOP and hand it over to Julian Assange.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Originally Posted by mck
Does this include all the property stolen? Or are we not really talking about the average...
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Payscale.com:

Hourly Rate Snapshot for Security Guard Jobs
Updated: 15 Oct 2010

$9.00 - $12.01 per hour

That's private sector. What kind of benefits does a TSA screener get?
And in teh DC area there's a politician complaining about $40/hour school crossing guards.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by clrankin
That's just disgusting. Totally disgusting. Double minimum wage for a job that requires less effort, less intelligence, and less customer service orientation than a Walmart greeter...

Our tax dollars at work. Or in the case of TSA, perhaps not so much "at work" as it should be. (Just Google "TSA sleeping" to find out why.)
Wow are you ever off base. In fact the head of TSA when he saw a pay check for a TSO last week said that he was going to push for an increase in pay for officers. TSA is not on the GS scale and that is part of the issue that the unions are upset about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.