Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Entering Canada from US with maiden name in passport and married name in US greencard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entering Canada from US with maiden name in passport and married name in US greencard

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

My passport is under my maiden name while my greencard is under my married name. I am traveling in Canada 2 weeks from now due to an emergency with a family I have in there so I do not have time to update my passport.

I'm afraid to get stuck in immigration when going into Canada because my Philippine passport does not match my greencard and the visa stamp that I have on my passport is expired. I am planning to bring my marriage certificate to show proof that I am the same person. Will this suffice Canadian immigration officers?

Any information will help.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:32 am

You should be fine. GC is mostly what they care about.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: OnePass
My suggestion to you would be to bring a copy of your marriage certificate with you. That way, you can prove your name change and all should be OK.

We had to do this with my wife when we traveled in Europe this past summer because she had not changed her passport over to her married name. We had no problems.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mikemey
My suggestion to you would be to bring a copy of your marriage certificate with you. That way, you can prove your name change and all should be OK.
+1. This is excellent advice. Small chance that your wife will need to produce it, but having it available if necessary will dramatically shorten the process.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by kurasaki123
Hello,

My passport is under my maiden name while my greencard is under my married name. I am traveling in Canada 2 weeks from now due to an emergency with a family I have in there so I do not have time to update my passport.

I'm afraid to get stuck in immigration when going into Canada because my Philippine passport does not match my greencard and the visa stamp that I have on my passport is expired. I am planning to bring my marriage certificate to show proof that I am the same person. Will this suffice Canadian immigration officers?

Any information will help.
I am swedish and a greencard holder.
I was told by immigration in California, that if I would remarry either in Sweden or USA. The only thing I should do, before I could get both passport and greencard to match. Is to have my marriage certificate with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.