Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Flying with a Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I did a search and couldn't find anything here.

I am going to start on a Dexcom CGM system tomorrow and fly a few times a month. I will be flying for the first time this weekend with it.

I was told the sensor and transmitter were ok to wear through a manometer but not a full body scanner (I have precheck so I should be ok there and if for some reason I don't get precheck I'll deal with a pat down).

I was told that the receiver shouldn't go through Xray and I should ask for a manual inspection instead.

Are there any other CGM users that can verify it shouldn't go through Xray and if it shouldn't will I be given a hassle if they have to manually inspect it. I'm not sure what all that would involve and how much extra time to allow for screening due to this.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not rely on others. Your doc and the manufacturer's recommendations deal with this. If they say "no" it's no.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I've been wearing an insulin pump for several years and when I started, the manufacturer's website said OK for WTMD and no for body scanners. A few months ago I looked again and they now allowed them through body scanners too. I guess that originally the manufacturer had simply not run the necessary tests to give the OK.
I would not rely on the advice given in a forum, but ask the manufacturer directly. I would be surprised if the information is not available on their website.
Note you may occasionally get TSA (and their foreign equivalents) insisting you take the devices off. You just have to insist (politely) back that they are attached to the body and don't come off!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by catandmouse
I've been wearing an insulin pump for several years and when I started, the manufacturer's website said OK for WTMD and no for body scanners. A few months ago I looked again and they now allowed them through body scanners too. I guess that originally the manufacturer had simply not run the necessary tests to give the OK.
I would not rely on the advice given in a forum, but ask the manufacturer directly. I would be surprised if the information is not available on their website.
Note you may occasionally get TSA (and their foreign equivalents) insisting you take the devices off. You just have to insist (politely) back that they are attached to the body and don't come off!
I ended up calling Dex and the nurse educator said the transmitter and sensor on my body have been approved for the Magnometer but not yet approved for the nudeoscope (fortunately I have precheck so that shouldn't be an issue in the US). They said extra sensors and the receiver should be hand inspected.

They emailed me a letter to show TSA explaining the CGM and she gave me some great advice since I travel all the time. She recommended keeping a large ziplock bag in my backpack and keeping the letter from Dex in it as well as a spare sensor and when I get to screening put the receiver in the bag and iuf they give me a hassle about not xraying it show the agent the letter.

I flew out of EWR a couple months ago and someone on a pump was arguing with the agent. He was wearing an omnipad and the agent was insisting it had to go through the xray belt and was no different than running a cell phone through and the diabetic was stating he was told the warranty would be voided if they ran it through xray and something happened. I don't know why TSA was giving him such a hassle, I don't think they realize how expensive these things are.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by catandmouse
Which manufacturer is that? I have an Animas pump and they still say to avoid the body scanners. I am due to get a new pump so one that can go through the MMW scanners would be a plus.

I've been getting more resistance to opting out of the scanners lately. The TSA screeners insist the scanners won't hurt the pump. I don't think the MMW will hurt the pump but until Animas says so, I'm not taking the chance.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is the contact for your CGM system.

http://www.dexcom.com/customer-care/contact-us

Contact them with your questions.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
There's a fairly active listserv for insulin pump users at http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/mailjoin.shtml

The website hasn't been updated since the 80s, but I promise you the listserv is still alive and kicking. It's a great resource for questions like this.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Originally Posted by spd476
Which manufacturer is that? I have an Animas pump and they still say to avoid the body scanners. I am due to get a new pump so one that can go through the MMW scanners would be a plus.

I've been getting more resistance to opting out of the scanners lately. The TSA screeners insist the scanners won't hurt the pump. I don't think the MMW will hurt the pump but until Animas says so, I'm not taking the chance.
As it happens, it's Medtronic.
I'm in the electronics business and my gut feeling is that the MMW scanners aren't going to do any harm to the devices. Remember the pump and the CGM are going to spend a lot of their lives in close proximity to mobile phones, which are significant emitters of electromagnetic radiation, and they are going to have to be immune to them.
However, I also understand the manufacturers who are being cautious until they have the testing and certification done.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
DO NOT XRAY it - that's clearly in the documentation for the device.

I walk through the metal detector with it on my hip weekly - I've been using the G4 for eight or nine months.

If asked I tell them it's a medical device. "Put your cell phone in through the xray" "It's a medical device"

SOP allows them to clear you if it doesn't alarm without any further action.
Some airports will do an ETD on the device - that is they have you rub your hands over it and then swab your hands.

If they insist ask for a supervisor...

The only 'fight' I've had was at IAD when the gate-dragon told me it "no, it's a cellphone" to which I told her that I knew what the medical device on my hip was and did I need to ask for a supervisor?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:26 am

BTW, if you haven't found it... TallyGear... there are half a dozen options beyond the Dex case...
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BStrauss3
BTW, if you haven't found it... TallyGear... there are half a dozen options beyond the Dex case...
Thanks. I'll check it out since I hate the case that cane with it. Had no hassles having it hand inspected Thursday, she just asked what it was
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:36 pm

Worn a Dexcom for 9 yrs

Boy, I'm away for a month and miss all the good threads. So saying, I've worn a Dexcom for 9 yrs and pump for 23 yrs. I fly long haul international many times a year and have tried to get away with everything. These are my experiences and I leave it to you to make your own choices.

I''ve worn my Dexcom recvr thru the reg scanner (on accident-late for flight) and while it did set off the beeping, and I got the TSA body pat, it didn't seem to harm the recvr for that one time.

I usually just tell TSA beforehand I wear insulin pump, blood sugar monitor and tell them the sensors are stuck under my belly skin. While this adds about 15 min to security check, in nine years the only problem was at BUR.

I've given a few lectures on "The Flying Insulin Pump" and I've had many comments from frequent flyers that if you smile and make jokes about all your bionic parts, they are usually pretty cool. Best airports for pumpers: YVR, LAS. Worst: LHR, ATL so plan on a few min extra.

Please don't wear your Animas pump through the scanners as it voids the warranty and they Will not REPLACE OR REPAIR!! I wore my Animas thru the scanners and after the 3rd time the screen went orange and started to die. I have worn my MiniMed thru and it didn't seem to suffer but mfg still tells you not to. My new Tslim can go thru the magno but not the nudeoscope and they warranty for almost everything.

Hope this helps and I'd be interested to find our how things went for you,
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BStrauss3
I bought a case from there and really like it. I also bought the bike case that I can put it in to attach to the handlebars and it works great
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cynthiausher
Boy, I'm away for a month and miss all the good threads. So saying, I've worn a Dexcom for 9 yrs and pump for 23 yrs. I fly long haul international many times a year and have tried to get away with everything. These are my experiences and I leave it to you to make your own choices.

I''ve worn my Dexcom recvr thru the reg scanner (on accident-late for flight) and while it did set off the beeping, and I got the TSA body pat, it didn't seem to harm the recvr for that one time.

I usually just tell TSA beforehand I wear insulin pump, blood sugar monitor and tell them the sensors are stuck under my belly skin. While this adds about 15 min to security check, in nine years the only problem was at BUR.

I've given a few lectures on "The Flying Insulin Pump" and I've had many comments from frequent flyers that if you smile and make jokes about all your bionic parts, they are usually pretty cool. Best airports for pumpers: YVR, LAS. Worst: LHR, ATL so plan on a few min extra.

Please don't wear your Animas pump through the scanners as it voids the warranty and they Will not REPLACE OR REPAIR!! I wore my Animas thru the scanners and after the 3rd time the screen went orange and started to die. I have worn my MiniMed thru and it didn't seem to suffer but mfg still tells you not to. My new Tslim can go thru the magno but not the nudeoscope and they warranty for almost everything.

Hope this helps and I'd be interested to find our how things went for you,
Started using the Dex in early March (and LOVE it, wish I would have gone on it years ago and my endro is thrilled because he has been trying to get me on a pump for years and it convinced me to get an omnipod-just waiting on insurance to approve it).

I've flown four RT's since being on it, all flights originating in DTW using the lower precheck at McNamara. The one screener was there all four times and remembered me and outside of being asked what the device was a few times, now issues other than the second time I flew out of DTW. When they swabbed it and stuck in the machine something alarmed and I was told I either had to have a hand search or allow the receiver to go through Xray. I had plenty of time and didn't want to risk anything with it being xray'd and the did a patdown and opened up my backpack and rollerbag and just swabbed a few places and I was on my way. I didn't alarm on the return trip or any other trips.

I'm hoping when I go on the Ipod it will be just as smooth.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:25 am

My training efforts @ SEA seem to be paying off.

I went through Thursday, no alarm, the screener asked me "Is that a cell phone" "No, it's a medical device"... he started to send me for a secondary, but you could see him stop, think, and then he said "No alarm, OK"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.