My NEXUS Card was refused at PHX T4

Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Thumbs down My NEXUS Card was refused at PHX T4

So, I decided to use my NEXUS card today to clear security.

I presented it to the TDC who said she didn't recognize it and asked her fellow TDC who said he didn't know either. She said she would ask a supervisor.

She called for one and he was on the other side of the moat. She asked if NEXUS was accepted and he said no! I told her I wanted to talk with a supervisor and she requested one come to the TDC area. While waiting, I pulled out my smart phone and pulled up Pistole's post about ID.

The supervisor arrived and I told him I had a NEXUS card and the TDC, butting in, said, "I think they went out of business." (Yes, the Canadian and U.S. governments have gone out of business.)

The supervisor said he cannot accept the NEXUS card and I then showed him Pistole's missive and the supervisor said, with a straight face, "That program hasn't started yet."

Let's go to the tape....

There seems to be a trend of TSOs not recognizing TWIC cards at our checkpoints. As a result of your feedback, I will ensure that TSA officers receive the necessary refresher training to recognize TWIC cards and other government-issued ID's (Including NEXUS cards) brought to the checkpoint.
That was Pistole's pledge. Notice it doesn't say the cards aren't accepted. It says the officers will be trained to accept the cards as they are valid ID as noted HERE. (See bullet point #3)

I demanded a comment card and the supervisor was not pleased and took his sweet time getting one. The TDC asked if I had a Canadian passport, for some odd reason. I produced my Passport Card and she signed off on my BP.

It is bad enough having TSOs tell you the website is out of date. It's worse to say that Pistole's program of re-educating TSOs about acceptable ID is not active yet, so they don't have to accept it.

You can rest assured that comment card will be appropriately used and complaints will be made.

God, what a terrible agency.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev

It is bad enough having TSOs tell you the website is out of date. It's worse to say that Pistole's program of re-educating TSOs about acceptable ID is not active yet, so they don't have to accept it.

You can rest assured that comment card will be appropriately used and complaints will be made.

God, what a terrible agency.
Perhaps Pistole has figured out one thing: If TSA is incompetent at training its employees to recognize acceptable forms of ID, then there is no way any rational person could believe TSA can be competent at keeping WEI off airplanes.

Any ordinary idiot could figure out how to tape a list of the acceptable IDs to the TDC podium. That way even the most stupid TDC could have a fighting chance of correctly recognizing a proper ID. However; every day brings new proof that TSA managers are not ordinary idiots but rather some sort of special idiot since this simple fix is beyond the limit of their imagination.

These guys wouldn't last 3 days at a McDonald's and we're expecting them to protect the flying public. What a joke.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Bummer, if you had the time you should have continued up the food chain. However, at that point I would have asked to the TSA director for the airport. Let me know if you want that contact.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Here we go again. For lack of a better term, WHAT IDIOTS!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 11:31 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by T-the-B
Any ordinary idiot could figure out how to tape a list of the acceptable IDs to the TDC podium.
Remember, these aren't ordinary idiots. That list would somehow become SSI, and everyone knows you can't just go around taping SSI documents to the podium.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Bummer, if you had the time you should have continued up the food chain. However, at that point I would have asked to the TSA director for the airport. Let me know if you want that contact.
Yes, I would like that contact, please.

After stewing about this, I think was is ticking me off the most is amount of sheer arrogance from the supervisor. It was just astounding. It wasn't a matter of saying that he thought it was an ID that wasn't accepted and that he would check it out. Nope, it was cut and dried: he was right and I was wrong, even after I showed him Pistole's post on the TSA's own website.

A person with that kind of hubris needs to be removed from working with the public.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 2:15 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
why don't you send a letter to Pistole also? Probably won't get you a response, but he may just get to read it (a remote likelyhood I understand)
Old Sep 4, 2010, 5:06 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I had a similar experience, up to a point, at BNA, my home AP. The TDC refused the Nexus. Supervisor was called and agreed with TDC, and insisted that I show another ID. I surrendered and presented by DL. I walked to the xray line fuming.

After passing through the WTMD, the supervisor approached me and said that he had looked into the Nexus, found that he was incorrect and apologized for his mistake. He also promised to make sure that his TDC's were aware that it was a good ID.

Two weeks later, I was standing at the TDC podium and the TDC (a different one this time) had done the magic light and turned over the Nexus, twice, and was giving me that is this all that you have look. Just as he was about to speak the supervisor saw what was happening from about 30 feet away, came to the podium, said hello to me and told the TDC the Nexus was okay. They mentioned something about "Clear" being a problem not Nexus. As we walked away he said he sorry and was getting the word out as best he could. He said have a nice flight and walked of to do his other duties.

I repeat this because what should happen is so unusual that it is remarkable.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 5:48 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by ylwae
Remember, these aren't ordinary idiots.
Not ordinary, they have taken the power over the people and are not afraid to use it....
Old Sep 4, 2010, 6:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Stupid that they cannot recognize Nexus as a legitimate card - even worse to confuse it with Clear.

here is the webpage from TSA on government ID and there is a link to a PDF of the ID -- clearly stating NEXUS is being legitimate.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm
Old Sep 4, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
it's all part of the 'layers to confuse™'
Old Sep 4, 2010, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't there a Terminal Manager who post here on FT? Castrobeans are such. Perhaps s/he could give us some insight on just why TSA can't teach employees the most basics tasks.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
why don't you send a letter to Pistole also? Probably won't get you a response, but he may just get to read it (a remote likelyhood I understand)
Please file a complaint with the DHS Inspector General (IG) using their IG Hotline. The TSA doesn't have its owN IG; rather, they fall under the DHS IG as one of the bureaus under DHS. FYI, Richard Skinner is very highly respected among federal department IGs.

Office of Inspector General Hotline Information: Report Fraud, Waste or Abuse, and Whistleblower Issues

The Department of Homeland Security/OIG Hotline is designed to receive allegations regarding:

* Fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement involving the Department programs, funds, contracts, grants, employees or operations.
* Civil rights abuses within the Department.
* Whistleblower and retaliation matters within the Department.

The OIG Hotline is not an information or helpline and we regret that we cannot respond to general questions regarding the Department operations or policy.

To report allegations of fraud, waste, abuse or mismanagement involving the Department programs, funds, contracts, grants, employees or operations and /or civil rights abuses or Whistleblower retaliation within the Department, please:

* Email us at [email protected].
* Write to us at: DHS Office of Inspector General/MAIL STOP 2600
Attention: Office of Investigations - Hotline
245 Murray Drive, SW, Building 410
Washington, DC 20528

* Fax the complaint directly to us at 202-254-4292.

* Call our Hotline at 1-800-323-8603. (Please note that this phone number is used to make a report only.)

PLEASE NOTE THAT the above methods of reporting are listed in the order that we hope you will use them. The use of e-mail to make your report will promote efficiency and expediency in reviewing and processing it. When a report is e-mailed, you will receive an e-mail receipt affirming delivery to our Hotline.

When making a report please attempt to convey as much detailed information as possible. Include all known information that describes: Who? What? Where? When? Why? How?

The OIG seeks to protect the identity of each writer and caller. Complaints may be made anonymously or you may request confidentiality.
The added benefit is that you will cause Pissy personal pain. He will have to explain why his re-training efforts he so proudly announced on PV are not being carried out. It could be because he made a commitment he has no intention of carrying out. It could mean that he has senior and middle managers who have no intention of complying with his direction. Oh yeah -- his responses to the IG are FOIA-able.

Just clearly state the facts, all the lies you were told and by whom, and connect it to the PV blog entry.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Isn't there a Terminal Manager who post here on FT? Castrobeans are such. Perhaps s/he could give us some insight on just why TSA can't teach employees the most basics tasks.
I am not hopeful at the response because anything short of an admission the TSA is not overly concerned about disseminating information in a timely and aggressive manner is empty sentiment. Every single corporation in the U.S. has to disseminate information to its employees when changes are made to federal and state laws and somehow it manages to get done.

When similar issues have come up, we have seen Ron and others jump in and give the same tired responses: the agency is too new, it takes time, there are too many IDs to know about, etc. It's all a cover for laziness.

I receive broadcast faxes, emails and hard copy memos all the time with updates to the SOPs, changes announced by executive management, and notes about new or updated laws on a state and federal level. I am accountable to know about those changes and follow them. That's part of my job.

If the TSA management and staff find it a burden to keep up with the laws and their own rules, perhaps they need to find simpler work.

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Please file a complaint with the DHS Inspector General (IG) using their IG Hotline. The TSA doesn't have its owN IG; rather, they fall under the DHS IG as one of the bureaus under DHS. FYI, Richard Skinner is very highly respected among federal department IGs.
Thank you for this. I will, indeed, send my complaint and include plenty of cc's including the DHS IG.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Here we go again. For lack of a better term, WHAT IDIOTS!
Uh-oh! Something is strange going on?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.