Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US Border Patrol checkpoint on I-10 in west Texas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Border Patrol checkpoint on I-10 in west Texas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:51 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
In every stop I was driving and I was asked "All all of you US citizens" (or something very close to that) and I replied I am and they are Italian, or he is BRitish, or they are Spanish and Dutch. Then it was "Have a nice day" and I drove on.
Every time I've been through one of these checkpoints, I've been waved right thru, no questions at all.

So what's the methodology here?

If you LOOK LIKE you might be an illegal or if you actually answer "no", then you are further interrogated?

How is this possibly effective, as an administrative search must be? How can it possibly be anything other than racial profiling?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 6:49 am

I have been stopped at four different checkpoints in the last 10 days, one in New Mexico and the others in Texas. On Saturday was the one subject of the title of this thread:

BP Agent: Hi, how are you doing, sir?

ND Sol: Okay.

BP Agent: Are you recording right now?

ND Sol: Is that a problem?

BP Agent: Both US citizens?

ND Sol: Yes.

BP Agent: Do you mind deleting that?

ND Sol: Yes, I do.

[BP Agent goes to rear of car to discuss with K-9 handler who is having the dog sniff all cars and then comes back]

BP Agent: All right, thank you.
In the time I was delayed by this checkpoint, I could have been over 10 miles down the road.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
That is a good question. I have passed through these checkpoints (two on IH-35N and once IH-10E all in TX) with non-US citizens thrice, and everytime, the agent didn't ask another question and let us go. None of these were Mexican citizens (not sure if that matters but all were European).

In every stop I was driving and I was asked "All all of you US citizens" (or something very close to that) and I replied I am and they are Italian, or he is BRitish, or they are Spanish and Dutch. Then it was "Have a nice day" and I drove on.

Ciao,
FH
While driving with family members (dad, step-mom, and half-sister) to Las Vegas for my brother's wedding, we passed through one of these checkpoints. The agent look at us and asked, "How y'all doing today?" My dad answered, "Just fine, thank you!" Then he waved us throught. I commented after we drove away, "Good thing none of us has a good suntan!" My dad just laughed.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: The program formerly know as WorldPerks
I get to experience my first one on Monday. I'm down in Las Cruces right now and have to go through the one on northbound I-25. Not really looking forward to it....
Old Mar 26, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by alexb133
Just out of curiosity (I will probably never drive down in that part of the country), what happens in the case of a non US citizen?

My Canadian passport doesn't have any stamps of admission on it (I use NEXUS)..

Then again another question... Would they wave members of trusted traveler programs through without questions?
As a NEXUS holder, you aren't required to carry your passport anyway, so stamps don't make much of a difference. I'm sure if the CBP thugs had a thought that you had overstayed, they can easily check your NEXUS record.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 6:33 am

Thumbs up Border Patrol does their job

I live in El PasoTX USA and travel frequently on the roads, which means regular stops at the BP checkpoints. Sometimes I am in the line to be questioned LONGER than the actual amount of questioning time. It is very brief, the agents are very professional, and are entirely within their legal right to detain anybody as long as needed to perform their designated duty. To refuse to cooperate with them is thwarting justice and could become just cause for secondary inspection.
On a related note, while my children were young and we traveled across the border, I was routinely put into secondary inspection because my spouse was not with us. When she joined us, no questions were ever asked!
On a not-so-related note, when traveling by air, I wear sandals to speed inspections. My sandals are former bicycling sandals with a steel shank, and look pretty torn up anyway. Of course they look pretty suspicious and TSA literally separated the sole from the footpad in effort to find something--which they did not. Unfortunately, it was never the same and my feet suffered thereafter!
Regardless, all of these personnel are experts and perform extremely well. I don't mind the extra few minutes.^
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by John Eyberg aka Juanito Hayburg
I live in El PasoTX USA and travel frequently on the roads, which means regular stops at the BP checkpoints. Sometimes I am in the line to be questioned LONGER than the actual amount of questioning time. It is very brief, the agents are very professional, and are entirely within their legal right to detain anybody as long as needed to perform their designated duty. To refuse to cooperate with them is thwarting justice and could become just cause for secondary inspection.
Bull. As an American citizen, I should be free to travel within this country's borders without having to prove my citizenship. It is not their legal right to detain anybody. If you believe otherwise, read the Fourth Amendment.

On a related note, while my children were young and we traveled across the border, I was routinely put into secondary inspection because my spouse was not with us. When she joined us, no questions were ever asked!
On a not-so-related note, when traveling by air, I wear sandals to speed inspections. My sandals are former bicycling sandals with a steel shank, and look pretty torn up anyway. Of course they look pretty suspicious and TSA literally separated the sole from the footpad in effort to find something--which they did not. Unfortunately, it was never the same and my feet suffered thereafter!
Regardless, all of these personnel are experts and perform extremely well. I don't mind the extra few minutes.
The TSA broke your shoe and all you can say is they were experts and did well? People like you who put up with this crap are why the TSA continues to do it. Perhaps if more people fought back and said "No, we're not going to be virtually strip searched, no, we're not going to be groped, no, you're not going to pat down my child's diaper, no, you're not going to play 20 questions with me" we wouldn't have to deal with this.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Originally Posted by John Eyberg aka Juanito Hayburg
Regardless, all of these personnel are experts and perform extremely well. I don't mind the extra few minutes.^
That's fine if you wish to believe that, but I don't think Constitution Free Zones are anything to be proud of.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:59 pm

Drove thru this checkpoint a few nights ago. Was moving from the Portland area to Gulf Coast FL and decided to bypass the Rockies by driving down to LA and take the 10 across. So after deciding NOT to stay in El Paso (since I could hit a golf ball from the I-10 and hit Juarez) we decided to push on to Van Horn. Sure enough, we hit the border patrol checkpoint. They ask where we're heading, where we're coming from and if we have any illegal aliens in the car and if we have any weapons or drugs. We have nothing illegal in the vehicle, yet we're asked to pull over so they can inspect, and as we're pulling over, we're flanked by 5 agents...2 on each side and one behind us...the dog they walked around us didn't bark or anything. We were told that the dog was alerted by something. We're lead into the detention building where I'm patted down, then told to sit back down. My fiance and our 4 yr old son aren't checked. After sitting for about 45 minutes, we're lead back out to our vehicle and one of the agents points at our door and says "What's that?"...I didn't see anything, and he points again...sitting on my door handle is a partially smoked joint, wrapped in red, white and green paper with spanish writing on it. Pretty obvious it came from Mexico. We tell them it isn't ours, which of course it wasn't. They tried accusing us of throwing it out of the window at the checkpoint. Now, common sense would tell them that it wasn't ours considering that our vehicle didn't smell like pot and that we couldn't have thrown it out of the window with five agents surrounding us during the check, along with the dog. Then we were told that next time we would go to jail and to get outta here. Needless to say we were pretty pissed. /rant off
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Originally Posted by OR2FL
After sitting for about 45 minutes, we're lead back out to our vehicle and one of the agents points at our door and says "What's that?"...I didn't see anything, and he points again...sitting on my door handle is a partially smoked joint, wrapped in red, white and green paper with spanish writing on it.
I'm curious if one is allowed to watch their vehicle being inspected, at a distance, to make sure things like this don't get planted.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:32 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by N965VJ
I'm curious if one is allowed to watch their vehicle being inspected, at a distance, to make sure things like this don't get planted.
But what could you do? How could you prove it? Maybe record it... but would you be able to capture everything?

This is exactly the problem with a search like this. In your everyday life, you can probably avoid any interaction with the police fairly easily. If not, the interaction will likely be in a random public location, with plenty of witnesses.

But at a checkpoint, you never know what you'll find and, because the setting is staged to benefit law enforcement, it can be staged to avoid any effective oversight.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

It is entirely up to the officer/agent. There are many variables, the biggest being if there is sufficient staff to ensure that the search can be safely conducted. That being said there are arguments for both ways of conducting the search (the driver being present or the driver not being present) I most often liked the driver being present if it was possible.

FB
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
But what could you do? How could you prove it? Maybe record it... but would you be able to capture everything?

This is exactly the problem with a search like this. In your everyday life, you can probably avoid any interaction with the police fairly easily. If not, the interaction will likely be in a random public location, with plenty of witnesses.

But at a checkpoint, you never know what you'll find and, because the setting is staged to benefit law enforcement, it can be staged to avoid any effective oversight.
Chances are you would not be allowed to record the search in a Port of Entry or a secondary area of a Border Patrol Checkpoint.

FB
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Bad things are less likely to happen out in the open.

Originally Posted by Firebug4
It is entirely up to the officer/agent.
I wish there was some more consistency, and I don't see what the issue would be if the owner of the property could not interfere.

Originally Posted by Firebug4
I most often liked the driver being present if it was possible.
Good to hear. ^
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:38 am
In Memoriam

Send complaint to CBP Internal Affairs and DHS OIG. Add this case to the >600 CBP personnel under investigation as of 6/10/11.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.