Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Traveling to YUL - Question regarding how much time to allow for connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Delta SkyMiles

I will be making my first flying trip into Canada at the end of the month. Flying BOS-YUL on DL and going through JFK way out and DTW way back. I know other airlines fly directs but DL connects are cheapest.

Going to YUL I should be ok. Should I allow for more than an hour for my return flight? I know I have to go through customs, but is it at YUL? or do I have to go through the lines at DTW?

Thanks all in advance.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:27 pm

I have never flown DL from YUL, but you will preclear customs in the new terminal
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exbayern
I have never flown DL from YUL, but you will preclear customs in the new terminal
Thanks. Sounds like an hour should be enough (my usual layover time). If it isnt I know there is another flight I can back up on.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:32 pm

Just be aware that if you are checking bags, there may be a longer minimum bag check window than for US domestic flights. I recall a thread on the UA forum where someone couldn't check a bag or board their flight at YUL because the UA staff close the check in counter to work flights as GAs. Again, I have no idea how DL handles it at YUL.

You may want to check the AC forum for customs wait times at YUL at the time of day you intend to travel, as well.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exbayern
Just be aware that if you are checking bags, there may be a longer minimum bag check window than for US domestic flights. I recall a thread on the UA forum where someone couldn't check a bag or board their flight at YUL because the UA staff close the check in counter to work flights as GAs. Again, I have no idea how DL handles it at YUL.

You may want to check the AC forum for customs wait times at YUL at the time of day you intend to travel, as well.
No checked - all carry on. Thanks for the tip on checking wait times too.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
i've done YUL-JFK-BOS on DL.. the JFK connection is *pleasant* compared to the cluster$!%( that is the new US departures facility at YUL. i would allow one hour to clear security and customs. might not need it, but it's likely enough that i now always allow it... (and i *always* breezed right thru at the old facility...)

at about the third boarding pass checker in the security line, you will step on a platform that indicates whether you are randomly selected for the MMW line. if selected, that will cost you 20-30 minutes.. they are very professional about the opt out, at least.

you clear US customs/immigration at YUL, so once you get to JFK, it's a domestic connection. unless you want to standby on an earlier JFK-BOS. then it's international, and you can't do that.

lately, my boss has been burning CO miles on our trips to YUL -- he views his membership rewards miles as company property, and 25k for the AC nonstops is a great deal compared to the insane fares on this short trip....

Last edited by Seat1A; Jan 9, 2011 at 8:47 pm
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Seat1A
i've done YUL-JFK-BOS on DL.. the JFK connection is *pleasant* compared to the cluster$!%( that is the new US departures facility at YUL. i would allow one hour to clear security and customs. might not need it, but it's likely enough that i now always allow it... (and i *always* breezed right thru at the old facility...)

at about the third boarding pass checker in the security line, you will step on a platform that indicates whether you are randomly selected for the MMW line. if selected, that will cost you 20-30 minutes.. they are very professional about the opt out, at least.

you clear US customs/immigration at YUL, so once you get to JFK, it's a domestic connection. unless you want to standby on an earlier JFK-BOS. then it's international, and you can't do that.

lately, my boss has been burning CO miles on our trips to YUL -- he views his membership rewards miles as company property, and 25k for the AC nonstops is a great deal compared to the insane fares on this short trip....
I'm not sure that I get what you're calling a "cluster$!%(". What makes that process different from any other preclearance loaction in Canada?

I'm also not certain that you can compare a sterile-side connection at JFK to a curbside-to-gate departure from YUL. The fact that you encounter CATSA and USCBP make one an apple and the other an orange.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.