Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Organized resistance to WBI/invasive patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:54 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
]the words I would use for his statement rhyme with full spit!
This gets the Joseph Goebbels award for the biggest spew of crap ever written by the TSA!
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Two half page flyers ready for proofing. Check facts, grammar, etc. PDF files are available (next post) and a website address can be added.

1:
Did you give informed consent for a WBI session?

No? Opt out for a pat down. You have the right. Say "I opt out."

Unlike a pat down (treatment for a inconclusive imaging session), consenting to a Whole Body Imaging (WBI) session imposes additional risks with few benefits.

Benefits

A false sense of security. At best, the machines can confirm that the imaged areas, which do not include fat folds or body cavities, appear to be normal. Unlike existing metal detectors or explosives detection machines, WBI machines do not detect metal or explosives.

Risks

Property risks

When confined in a WBI machine, you can no longer maintain a clear line of sight to your property as your items enter and exit the X-ray scanner.

Do not be surprised if a fellow traveler 'accidentally' takes your laptop and if items are missing from your wallet, which must be removed for WBI.

Privacy risks

WBI machines provide operators with an image of your body, exposing attributes such as deformities and genitalia size while revealing what is beneath your clothing.

Rolando Negrin, a TSA screener, was ridiculed by other screeners for having a small penis after being imaged by a WBI device.

Images from WBI devices may also be stored by the TSA or by a third party (with or without TSA's knowledge). These images may be the Ivy League nude posture images of our generation.

Health risks

Backscatter X-ray machines use ionizing radiation, a known health hazard, for imaging.
Children, pregnant women, and those with defective DNA repair mutations are considered to be especially susceptible to DNA damage.

Millimeter wave machines use active millimeter waves for imaging and their risks have not been characterized.

These imaging machines may be the shoe-fitting fluoroscopes of our generation.

2:
What will be the result of your WBI session?

A 'naked image' and

* a 'missing' laptop

* identity theft

* comments about your body's abnormalities

* jokes about your previous medical procedures

* a secondary pat down due to attractiveness

* an increased risk of cancer

* an increased risk of birth defects

* a false sense of security

or a combination of these and other possibilities?

Don't like these outcomes?

Opt out for a pat down. You have the right. Say 'I opt out.'

Unlike a pat down (treatment for a inconclusive imaging session), consenting to a Whole Body Imaging (WBI) session imposes additional risks with few benefits. At best, the machines can confirm that the imaged areas, which do not include fat folds or body cavities, appear to be normal. Unlike existing metal detectors or explosives detection machines, WBI machines do not detect metal or explosives and prevent you from maintaining a clear line of sight to your property while your items enter and exit the X-ray scanner.

Edit: the files are at mediafire
File 1: append ?2wdhr52sdhvmxzv [md5:dc87fa1594f838f3612c3c06a3800ee2]
File 2: append ?vdbetu8znb668y9 [md5:7b04e722f6ee5e61b5d65ac06c1ada2d]

Last edited by luxetveritas; Aug 26, 2010 at 9:07 pm Reason: link addition
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by pbjag
And on the back, a list of the reasons why, so those in line behind you can read while in line...
Just get TK's shirt that says "The TSA Wants to See Me Naked!" with scan pics of the Nude-O-Scopes.

Wear it every time I travel - always gets a reaction from TSA, pax, and crew.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Have domains, will ....

I've registered NudeOScope.com/org/net. I'm open to suggestions & amenable to volunteers. I don't have a lot of time for web site development.

Present they all redirect to this thread.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Heroic officers? rotflol
This really underscores the need for a barfing smilie. just doesn't convey my reaction to that quote.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I've registered NudeOScope.com/org/net. I'm open to suggestions & amenable to volunteers. I don't have a lot of time for web site development.

This really underscores the need for a barfing smilie. just doesn't convey my reaction to that quote.
It was so over the top and ridiculous I have to wonder if it was an Onion-style spoof or some sort of joke to get the TSA people all excited. If that person honestly believes what they wrote - they need a straightjacket.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by MikeMpls

Just a thought - if the point of the campaign is to get Ma & Pa Kettle (and the infrequent business traveler) to visit the site, the domain name is going to need to be relatively innocuous, at least in the choice of words. I know my company's network filtering system would block me from visiting a site with the word "nude" in the URL; many public facilities, like libraries and municipal (free) wi-fi would have similar measures in place. The site doesn't do any good if the site gets blocked.

On the other hand, you also have to be careful not to choose a site that sounds, to put it bluntly, a little too Tea-Partyish/Glenn Beck-ian. So phrases like 'preserve your rights' would probably be out.

What about something like airportdignity.com/.net/.org/.us/.info? (They're all available.)
Old Aug 27, 2010, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by luxetveritas
Two half page flyers ready for proofing. Check facts, grammar, etc. PDF files are available (next post) and a website address can be added.
Good information, and doesn't use lots of confusing scientific jargon which is good.

I would try to indicate that the pat down includes having someone feel your genitals and is more of a 'rub down' than a 'pat down', but these are good.

Originally Posted by Critic
What about something like airportdignity.com/.net/.org/.us/.info? (They're all available.)
I like this. Also perhaps respectfortravelers.com/.net/.org/.us etc. Domain registration isn't that expensive and I'd be willing to throw some cash into the ring.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 5:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mozgytog
Good information, and doesn't use lots of confusing scientific jargon which is good.

I would try to indicate that the pat down includes having someone feel your genitals and is more of a 'rub down' than a 'pat down', but these are good.

I like this. Also perhaps respectfortravelers.com/.net/.org/.us etc. Domain registration isn't that expensive and I'd be willing to throw some cash into the ring.
I agree with the highlighted part.

I'd also suggest that somehow we get "Transportation Security Administration" written into the document title as, IMO, those are the terms that individuals might use in searching for travel information:

Transportation Security Administration, Whole Body Imaging and You

I'd also put Health Risks at the top of the risks list as well as the "outcomes" list and property risks last, if we are aiming at the infrequent flyers.

I also might omit the shoe reference 'cause not many people are going to relate to that.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by doober
I also might omit the shoe reference 'cause not many people are going to relate to that.
Young people likely will not know what a fluoroscope was. Gaining the support of the young people in the battle against the TSA will be difficult because for most of them they have no meaningful memory of a pre-9/11 world. They've always had to deal with these intrusions into their liberty, so they don't recognize them.

Ultimately though, we need to win them over to win the battle. I get nervous when I see things like airport security play sets that mimic airport security to teach kids to be accepting of searches and find these things normal.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:03 am

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
I'd also like to suggest that something be added to the effect:

Medical devices (colostomy bag, breast reconstruction implants), sanitary napkins, adult diapers may also require a full body search after going through the AIT.

This is just off the top of my head. There may be additional items or better wording that should be added that might catch the attention of the less frequent flier.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by mozgytog
Young people likely will not know what a fluoroscope was. Gaining the support of the young people in the battle against the TSA will be difficult because for most of them they have no meaningful memory of a pre-9/11 world. They've always had to deal with these intrusions into their liberty, so they don't recognize them.

Ultimately though, we need to win them over to win the battle. I get nervous when I see things like airport security play sets that mimic airport security to teach kids to be accepting of searches and find these things normal.
I remember pushing a friend in a wheelchair across most of ATL around 1970 to keep him from missing his flight. That would be nearly impossible to recreate today...
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:33 am

Just a thought - if the point of the campaign is to get Ma & Pa Kettle (and the infrequent business traveler) to visit the site, the domain name is going to need to be relatively innocuous, at least in the choice of words. I know my company's network filtering system would block me from visiting a site with the word "nude" in the URL; many public facilities, like libraries and municipal (free) wi-fi would have similar measures in place. The site doesn't do any good if the site gets blocked.

On the other hand, you also have to be careful not to choose a site that sounds, to put it bluntly, a little too Tea-Partyish/Glenn Beck-ian. So phrases like 'preserve your rights' would probably be out.

Here is another thought if you really want these peoples support I would stop referring to them as Ma & PA Kettle. After all you don't want to be referred to as Tea-Partyish/Glenn Beck-ian right. (pzzzt. That is exactly how many of you sound)

FB
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by Firebug4
Here is another thought if you really want these peoples support I would stop referring to them as Ma & PA Kettle. After all you don't want to be referred to as Tea-Partyish/Glenn Beck-ian right. (pzzzt. That is exactly how many of you sound)
I apologize if you didn't like the reference; I'm just trying to point out that people who are infrequent travelers (and, possibly, are technophobes) are the target audience, and using the slang that we'd use here on a site for frequent travelers (including "nude-o-scope" and, yes, "Kettles") wouldn't be appropriate.

That being said, I don't know that I appreciate being told that I sound like a TeaPartier. There's a difference between dislike for a specific government agency and a distrust/dislike of Government as an institution. I think if there's any point that both civil libertarians and TeaPartiers could agree on, it's that TSA, as an agency, is overly invasive and is in need of reform.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I apologize if you didn't like the reference; I'm just trying to point out that people who are infrequent travelers (and, possibly, are technophobes) are the target audience, and using the slang that we'd use here on a site for frequent travelers (including "nude-o-scope" and, yes, "Kettles") wouldn't be appropriate.
I would suggest that anyone who arrives at an airport is part of the target audience.

If not stopped now these things will be done on trains and subways.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
More Crap Spewing from PV

Today from "Ponter" - What's in that Koolaid?????
I think I am going to barf:

The TSA has protected our most important freedom, the freedom from terrorism
As you probably are aware, there hasn't been a repetition of 9/11 since the TSA began protecting the air transportation system. There is NO possible argument against that track record of proven success!
I'm grateful that the TSA has thoughtfully provided an effective alternative in the form of an Enhanced Pat down for those who are are needlessly afraid of AIT.
At least one dissenter commented:
Open handedly feeling up a person is a sexual assualt. If you don't believe so then go out on the street and do one of these "Enhanced TSA Grope Downs" and see what happens, mate.
I can't even quote the rest, I'm getting sick to my stomach. Read it at:

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?po...p=false&page=2

Baarrrrf!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.