Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I fly with gold coins/bullion?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2010, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No legal issues but I would be very worried about sticky fingers.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Batmanuel
Hundreds of coin dealers fly every few months to attend coin shows with millions of dollars in hand-carried coins/currency/bullion. (I'm a currency buff myself)
^ for currency buffs. Forget where but I recently read of a pilot who was a little concerned that he had to use slightly higher than normal throttle positions the entire flight and had a higher than expected fuel burn. Plane was still within safe limits but something was abnormal enough to notice. The curious pilot tracked down the problem. Seems almost every passenger on that flight was a dealer attending a coin convention and carrying 20 to 40 pounds more than the expected baggage weight for a typcal pax that they use for weight and balance calculations. Does not sound like much but the whole jet was a couple of TONS heavier than the expected typical load.

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
I will carry it for you ! I'll even buy my own air ticket.....
I'll do the OP one better to relieve him of his problem. Just mail it to me--postage collect. I figure I can afford to pay for 15 pounds of freight.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by deadpass
If you have that much gold then I suggest you contract out a private courier to transport the gold for you, or charter a private plane.
Agree. Far safer & less likely to cause you grief.

Originally Posted by Wimpie
The only practical way to move the gold would be to drive it yourself.
Maybe rent a nice car, and see some of the country.

This is the only real way to avoid a possible national incident.

My advise would be stay the f* away from any airport with gold. It cannot possibly turn out well!
That does have some risk for a long trip.

As for the airport, jewelry dealers and coin dealers move products of substantial value through the airport all the time. Probably the lowest risk would be to request private screening before entering the checkpoint - I will guarantee that the quantity of metal you're discussing will be flagged for a bag check at the x-ray. Indicate that you're carrying high-value items and don't want to be exposed as to the item or the value in public.

I would also talk with an attorney experienced at seizure laws. Have their number on speed-dial. Be prepared to call them. If you can get some proof that it's yours (in advance), you'll be able to answer the inevitable questions.

Pretty disgusting in Amerika that you now have to prove you're not a criminal in order to engage in a perfectly legal operation.....
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:04 pm

sorry... with that much gold, you are required to check it as luggage. Make sure you use a TSA-approved lock and clearly mark "HEAVY - GOLD" on the outside.(don't want to injure baggage handlers, right?)
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I believe that Registered Mail will work. USPS does, or did, accept valuations over $25,000 with advance notice as the shipment has to have a Postal Inspector accompany it. This is not something I would expect every local post office to know. 1-877-876-2455 will connect you with the nearest USPIS location, 8-430p M-F.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (LT Plat, ex-ConciergeKey), SPG (Plat), DL (Diamond), Marquis Jet Card
Originally Posted by dgwright99
If you can fly and take 100-200 ounces with you, then surely you can equally send several packages by mail, fly, and then be present to receive at the other end ?
The problem with Registered Mail is the insurance ends when the shipment is signed for by anyone. Right now, I do not have a residence in the other state, so the shipment would either have to go to me at a hotel (where if lost between delivery and my room I am out of luck) or to a UPS store where I have a private mailbox (again, it is uninsured after delivery before I pick it up).
Old Aug 22, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by modern
The problem with Registered Mail is the insurance ends when the shipment is signed for by anyone. Right now, I do not have a residence in the other state, so the shipment would either have to go to me at a hotel (where if lost between delivery and my room I am out of luck) or to a UPS store where I have a private mailbox (again, it is uninsured after delivery before I pick it up).
Personally I would sign up for a post office box at the destination then. Send the packages Registered Mail and the insurance stays in force the whole way until it is put back in your hands.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except for the theft at the checkpoint issue, I can't believe we're even having this conversation.

You can bet that the TSA will have you detained a la Bierfelt.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 7:29 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
As a coin and currency collector, I travel often with several large rolls of coins (gold, silver, clad) and they will ALWAYS trigger a search for me. Even one roll. It is dense and the screeners cannot see through it. Ingots would most likely do the same. There is no law against traveling with any amount of gold or money (contrary to some views in the TSA). Many times I have no problems with the TSOs, occasionally they ask some inane questions.
The most feckless was with two ~20 coin rolls of Ike Dollars and one roll of silver Peace Dollars in plastic tubes which a TSAer wanted to open and touch each coin, to which I had a minor fit, as he didn't have gloves on. I will give credit to the supervisor at PBI who agreed with me and told the line TSO to go away. I did have an outbound customs check once ask me about a roll of Ikes, whereas I said they are worth facevalue or maybe 25c more than face so a 25$ roll of coins is below the 10k limit I sell them back in Europe for 3-5 Euros a piece and even that is below the limit. Then they let me go.

It would be adviseable to have purchase receipts or proof of ownership for most of it however (I try and carry such when available). I have also heard of some coin and bullion dealers telling the airport in advance they are coming so the 3 striper at the line knows you are coming.

Ciao,
FH
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:13 pm

Programs: TSA
umm

IT will trigger a search and you need to ask for a private screening. Remember that you dont have to answer anything about it.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by eyecue
Remember that you dont have to answer anything about it.
Ya sure - That'll work F***** great when LEO, DEA, and the FBI show up!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by modern
Can't you ask the PO to hold for pickup at the receiving end?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:10 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You will be carrying 12 lbs of gold worth about a quarter of a million dollars if you are moving 200 ounces of it. While you probably have a perfectly legal right to move it, I would expect it to draw considerable attention and a referral to the law enforcement people as to why you are doing so.

I wouldn't call that being singled out, if you were stopped for a traffic stop and they noticed $245,000 in cash in a duffle bag on the back seat, they would probably have those same questions.

I can only imagine what the questions would be the second time you went though the airport and with some really bad luck ended up with the same law enforcement people with another quarter of a million dollars

I second the bonded secure courier service that specializes in things like this, even if it's just you dropping it off at a depot where you are and picking it up at one near where you are going.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyecue
IT will trigger a search and you need to ask for a private screening. Remember that you dont have to answer anything about it.
You never know -- a screener might think you're hiding a razor blade in with all the coins.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
One other option...

Why not sell the gold at its current location and buy an equivalent amount at your destination? Gold is sufficiently liquid that you could probably do both on the same day, and never have to touch an ounce. You will pay some transactional cost, but there is transactional cost on all the previously proposed solutions - this might be the cheapest one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.