Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Show of force on DC Metro today, including TSA....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR

Glad I rarely take Metro any more. Some of the comments are priceless, and some are clueless.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dr-...?hpid=newswell
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:32 pm
Suspended

"

The comment by one person was laughable as in NYC and I presume DC it was announced on all the radio and television stations last night as a "heads up, it's just a drill."

WAPO--ever hear of OPSEC? It stands for Operational Security and it means---don't report on things that could endanger operations in the future. Apparently your need for readers is attempting to endanger TIDE's effort to practice what they need to do. Pathetic.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by David Johnson, special agent in charge at TSA and VIPR program manager
"We are looking for people who want to harm mass transit,"
Start with the guy you see in the mirror every morning when you shave, David.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't See a Thing At 0-Dark-30...

I take the first MARC train to Silver Spring, arriving at about 0610. I was even out running from about 0630-0730 and didn't see anything. I guess my personal schedule is way too early for any self-respecting TSA dweeb to be out there.

It's also way too early to be out there if you hope to get maximum live coverage on the morning news shows. (I wonder if Holly Morris was out there getting frisked by the TSA on Fox 5 Live???)

PS: I've shared PMs with several other FTers who are fellow MARC train riders and we all agree that we can guarantee there will be TSA casualties if they even think of trying this garbage with the MARC Brunswick Line. We passengers will do the job if the conductors don't do it first.

Last edited by FliesWay2Much; Jun 29, 2010 at 5:35 pm
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: SSSSS
Proposed TSA anthem: Die Wacht am Rhein

Leib' Vaterland, machts ruhig sein
Leib Vaterland, machts ruhig sein
Fest steht und treu, die Wacht am Rhein
Fest steht und treu, die Wacht, die Wacht am Rhein

Durch Hundertausen zucht es schnell
Und aller Augen blitzen Hellig
der Deutsche beider, fromm und stark
beschuetzte heilige Landesmark

English para-translation:

Beloved Homeland, rest easy now
Beloved Homeland, rest easy now
Stands straight and true, the Watch on the train, the watch on the plane
Stands straight and true, the watch the TSA has on you.

Through hundreds of thousands it quickly draws
And everyone's bright eyes flash
The TSA respectable, pious and strong
Watches the sacred country's borders

Und lass uns nicht vergessen sagte dem TSO:
"There is no enumerated constitutional right for an individual, unimpeded, to fly in an airplane, or ride on a train. An' we're werkin' on boats, cars and bicycles. Then horses, mules and shanks ponies.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I take the first MARC train to Silver Spring, arriving at about 0610. I was even out running from about 0630-0730 and didn't see anything. I guess my personal schedule is way too early for any self-respecting TSA dweeb to be out there.
During a previous life, when I survived 17 long years of commuting on the MBTA in BOS, I had a similar schedule. I used to love it when, already in my office, reading something on-line about the T police doing one of these drills. All I can think is that whomever is scheduling these things has top-secret intel that shows tewwowists are not morning people & therefore there's no need to have a show of force before 8am, but preferably more along the 9-9:30ish range
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by txrus
During a previous life, when I survived 17 long years of commuting on the MBTA in BOS, I had a similar schedule. I used to love it when, already in my office, reading something on-line about the T police doing one of these drills. All I can think is that whomever is scheduling these things has top-secret intel that shows tewwowists are not morning people & therefore there's no need to have a show of force before 8am, but preferably more along the 9-9:30ish range
Or, maybe, there are more people traveling on the later trains?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:15 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Show of force farce on DC Metro today, including especially TSA....

Title corrected.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
PS: I've shared PMs with several other FTers who are fellow MARC train riders and we all agree that we can guarantee there will be TSA casualties if they even think of trying this garbage with the MARC Brunswick Line. We passengers will do the job if the conductors don't do it first.
Oh, I can easily see that - that's the way it would have been on Metro North and the LIRR when I used to ride those.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
100% Success Rate Today

"Originally Posted by David Johnson, special agent in charge at TSA and VIPR program manager "We are looking for people who want to harm mass transit" There are several teams of federal air marshals involved in the Metro anti-terrorism drill along the Red Line, as well as some "behavioral detection officers" who look for people exhibiting suspicious behaviors, he said."

I watched the national TV news tonight. Not a single story about a Metro train being hijacked and run into a tall building. ^ No doubt in part because the BDOs stared at the tewwowist goats and turned them into sheeples. Well done, VIPR Team, Mission Accomplished.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:45 pm

"Saw two K-9 officers at Medical Center this morning. One was holding two dogs while the other was using a lot of paper towels to clean up what I assumed to be an "accident." (Though I didn't know that well-trained police dogs had those!)"

LOL!
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Spiff
Show of force farce on DC Metro today, including especially TSA....

Title corrected.
+1 ^

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
"Originally Posted by David Johnson, special agent in charge at TSA and VIPR program manager "We are looking for people who want to harm mass transit" There are several teams of federal air marshals involved in the Metro anti-terrorism drill along the Red Line, as well as some "behavioral detection officers" who look for people exhibiting suspicious behaviors waste our tax dollars, and don't do anything to thwart terrorist activites.... , he said."

I watched the national TV news tonight. Not a single story about a Metro train being hijacked and run into a tall building. ^ No doubt in part because the BDOs stared at the tewwowist goats and turned them into sheeples. Well done, VIPR Team, Mission Accomplished.
Fixed that one sentence for you!

How about this comment:

"A lot of people are coming up and saying thank you," said Sgt. Sean Flinn of the Metro Transit Police.
Second of all, TSA has no reason to be on any METRO system. Misson creep, hello???

A sad waste of time, effort, and money. The only people who have died on metro weren't killed by terrorists, that's for sure. The money could be better spent elsewhere. And the only people who are regularly terrorized on metro ride the green line, where stepped up police presence could really be used, not the red. Once again, we are poorly served by our misspent tax dollars at work.
Saw two K-9 officers at Medical Center this morning. One was holding two dogs while the other was using a lot of paper towels to clean up what I assumed to be an "accident." (Though I didn't know that well-trained police dogs had those!)
whoops! Hopefully they put the TSOs to work!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:28 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Good Guy
Or, maybe, there are more people traveling on the later trains?
Of course there are. But, aren't these people supposed to protect the system 24/7, especially if it's in operation, not just during periods of peak ridership? If they were truly serious about these operations, they'd be out doing these dog & pony shows @ 5am when the first trains leave or at midnight when the last ones come in instead of only during business hours M-F in front of cameras.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 6:20 am

Unless it's Alan or Gary (I know Alan is on the 7:10 into SS, 7:25 into DC, and since they are on the same train out in the evening...). Alan was talking about how he'd have called the cops on the people that were complaining on last weeks broken down Penn. Then the conductors believe it their sacred duty to help the TSA protects us from 9/11: Train Edition. Not to name names.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Amtrak is stepping up its Police Presence today as they gear up for the MTA/Amtrak Fireball that is going to show up this afternoon. "Everything we do is in the interest of protecting public safety, including missing train stops and keeping people on a broken down train for two hours."
Old Jun 30, 2010, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nbs2
Unless it's Alan or Gary (I know Alan is on the 7:10 into SS, 7:25 into DC, and since they are on the same train out in the evening...). Alan was talking about how he'd have called the cops on the people that were complaining on last weeks broken down Penn. Then the conductors believe it their sacred duty to help the TSA protects us from 9/11: Train Edition. Not to name names.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Amtrak is stepping up its Police Presence today as they gear up for the MTA/Amtrak Fireball that is going to show up this afternoon. "Everything we do is in the interest of protecting public safety, including missing train stops and keeping people on a broken down train for two hours."
I was thinking about Yogi & Dave. I've seen Dave recently on 875 in the evening. I'm told Yogi is working one of the Frederick trains until August or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.