Plastic ties on luggage

Old May 4, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
1. Locking or using a zip tie is at best useless. If anything, it points thieves to luggage containing items which pax really don't want stolen.

2. If TSA is going to open your bag, they will put a note in it saying they did and you will know. Perhaps they won't, but nothing is missing and you'll never know or care.

3. If one of the other thousand people from bag check to bag claim at however many airports your bag passes through wants to steal from your luggage, they cut the tie, take the item(s) and they will be missing when you arrive. You will know you've been victimized because the item(s) will be missing. Having a tie or lock doesn't "prove" anything.

All this does is complicate your own life and doesn't make your luggage or its contents one whit safer.
When I was using the TSA approved locks, on more than one occasion the lock was opened by the TSA using their master key, I can tell because of the red band that pops up when the lock is opened using the master key and I did not find any TSA love note in inside my luggage as required by TSA policy.

So don’t go by what the TSA says is policy, we all know the TSA does not follow their own policy.

Because of this and the knowledge that some of these master keys are missing and probably in the hands of baggage handlers I have gone back to using tie wraps, I feel that a thief will skip a piece of luggage that is locked with a tie wrap because it would be oblivious when the luggage come off the carousel that the luggage had been tampered with and any theft can be reported before leaving the airport.

Of course if the TSA removes the tie wrap and does not replace it, than all bets are off about thefts from tie wrapped luggage, both from the baggage handlers and the TSA baggage screeners.

Mr. Elliott
Old May 4, 2012, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by stifle
Slang term for the 1-litre (or 1-quart) zip-top plastic bag in which you must deposit your under 100ml (or 3.4-ounce) containers of liquids and gels prior to passing through security checkpoints at airports. So called because obviously preventing larger containers will protect our freedom
That's what I thought but for some reason I was thinking it was in a checked bag. I have to stop reading FT when I'm half asleep. Thanks!
Old May 4, 2012, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by stifle
Slang term for the 1-litre (or 1-quart) zip-top plastic bag in which you must deposit your under 100ml (or 3.4-ounce) containers of liquids and gels prior to passing through security checkpoints at airports. So called because obviously preventing larger containers will protect our freedom
lets call it what it really is. call it the "GESTAPO BAG"
Old May 4, 2012, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
When I was using the TSA approved locks, on more than one occasion the lock was opened by the TSA using their master key, I can tell because of the red band that pops up when the lock is opened using the master key and I did not find any TSA love note in inside my luggage as required by TSA policy.

So don’t go by what the TSA says is policy, we all know the TSA does not follow their own policy.

Because of this and the knowledge that some of these master keys are missing and probably in the hands of baggage handlers I have gone back to using tie wraps, I feel that a thief will skip a piece of luggage that is locked with a tie wrap because it would be oblivious when the luggage come off the carousel that the luggage had been tampered with and any theft can be reported before leaving the airport.

Of course if the TSA removes the tie wrap and does not replace it, than all bets are off about thefts from tie wrapped luggage, both from the baggage handlers and the TSA baggage screeners.

Mr. Elliott
All pointing to the fact that locking or otherwise securing checked luggage does nothing other than point would-be thieves to pax who are carrying what they perceive to be valuables. And, if there's a theft, having a lock/tie "proves" zippo.

Last edited by Often1; May 4, 2012 at 11:57 am
Old May 7, 2012, 12:03 am

Having the tie missing or cut won't help one whit if things turn up missing--the airlines will deny responsibility and so will TSA (or other national security) and both will argue that they didn't have exclusive control. So using zip ties doesn't help in that regard.

The hope is, I assume, that the visible zip ties will deter casual theft attempts. Which it might. Or it might simply highlight your luggage as having something worth protecting. It's impossible to say which, I think.

I do use zip ties or split key rings on my backpack luggage to deter quick little fingers while I'm getting between the airport and my final destination. But I don't think they do much for security while at the airport. Just my opinion.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, HH Dia, PC Plt, Hyatt Plt, SPG Gld, Marriott Sil, Carlson Sil, Red Lion Plt
Originally Posted by pianoman
I use these:

They are designed for one-time use and can be removed without tools when you arrive at your destination. They also have unique serial numbers.
I like that these can be ripped open by hand. Does anyone know where to buy these or what they are called?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by DEQ11
I like that these can be ripped open by hand. Does anyone know where to buy these or what they are called?

Materials Distributions & Supplies (Purchasing) used them along with other products, some tampered proof and others for chains-of-custody purposes to bar code & inventorize items received, shipped, released, transferrred & disposed of - here's a link

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/pull-tight-ties.php - a number of vendors specialized in these, but not in your local Staple stores

For daily checklists, designated employees do record & log them in and out ...
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:10 am

Thats a vague issue that you could not carry a scissors or a small Swiss knife on a foreign soil,these stuffs are allowed.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bradpitt
Thats a vague issue that you could not carry a scissors or a small Swiss knife on a foreign soil,these stuffs are allowed.
Swiss army knives and the like are allowed NOW, but not at the time this thread was created.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
And not in Europe.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Cable ties aren't there to secure against the interested thief. They're there to stop the casual thief and force the interested thief to carry a knife.

They also serve to function to stop bags opening accidentally under pressure while being moved around: pressure a zip in just the right way and it will do exactly what it's designed to do: open. Catch a zip toggle in a belt somewhere and it's happily open itself. Sure, the handlers might pick all your stuff up now that it's strewn all over the place. Or they might not.

Why make it easy to have stuff stolen or lost?! For the less than 1 cent it costs to put a tie on, it removes the chance of the bag opening accidentally for whatever reason.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by DEQ11
google semi trailer seals. I have tons of seals at work when we ship product and such. you can get simple plastic ones to things that are tough for bolt cutters to take down even. They will come serialized and possibly customized text too.

I have never tried to use them but have debated it if I ever have to gate check or something.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I still have a few old zip ties that I bought from, I think, Magellan's travel website. The company name on it is PrivaSeal. the zip tie is a beaded line, instead of the flat one with teeth. It zips like a normal zip tie. but, you can break them with a pen (just put the pen in and twist). If you search the Web, I bet you could still find them someplace.

For me, I now use a split-ring keyring on my zippered bags. But, if you want to use the conventional zip ties, put a pair of nail clippers in an accessible pocket or in your carryon...
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by slidergirl
I still have a few old zip ties that I bought from, I think, Magellan's travel website. The company name on it is PrivaSeal. the zip tie is a beaded line, instead of the flat one with teeth. It zips like a normal zip tie. but, you can break them with a pen (just put the pen in and twist). If you search the Web, I bet you could still find them someplace.

For me, I now use a split-ring keyring on my zippered bags. But, if you want to use the conventional zip ties, put a pair of nail clippers in an accessible pocket or in your carryon...
The split-ring keyrings are a good idea, and possibly more secure because in order to get in quickly, you need more than a nail-clipper and a quick snip. If someone has a bolt-cutter or lots of time, you're screwed anyway.

But I admit, I despise the keyrings because every time I use one for something, I break at least one nail down to the quick - even when transferring/removing a key from a ring.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:00 pm

Another vote for cable ties. Sometimes I'll wrap the tie and zipper-pull with a piece of duct tape. Yes, of course it can be cut off, the zipper can be busted, the bag itself could be slashed etc, but it at least will be obvious the bag was tampered with, and from that point I can raise hell with the airline. A corrupt baggage handler looking for a quick grab will pass on it, knowing it's going to take some effort just to get it open.

I used to use small Master locks. I do a lot of surface travel in Asia and still use them on buses and trains.

I had a lock clipped by TSA once when I was late to the gate and my bag was already in the hold, that's the kind of situation that sets off the alarms big time so I understood the concern. Yes, I got the 'love note.' I've heard stories of the TSA locks being clipped; in light of the fact that TSA people are not well-paid and that they don't seem particularly bright (I don't mean to sound smug, but from what I see their job is to follow orders, not be mindful of what they are doing) it would make sense to me that there will be the occasional master key gone missing and ending up in the wrong hands. Another aspect of this wrong-hands concern is something can be hidden in a piece of checked baggage, creating a sort of situation that TSA was put in place to prevent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.