Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL/PM SM/AMEX/Plat HH/Gold Marriott/Plat Starwood/Plat
You thought Kip was an idiot, Try this one

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/03/23...ex.html?hpt=T2
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
So how well is his idea of questioning like the Israelis going to work when we have the right to remain silent when questioned by the government and maintaining silence cannot be construed as guilt?

And gee, you think that how TSA works manning the screening the booth (taking phones, etc) is how it's always going to be done? Good show though. What he should do is show up unannounced and see if actually happens or if it was just done for show for him.

Also, he's no cyberguru, but as far as he could tell, there's no way to store or transmit images? Gee, that placates my fears.

We're getting another idiot. Just from a different discipline.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Gold: Hilton Gold
What is that, a synopsis of his first public comments from the confirmation process?

Way to go guys, were your minds ever open for his (or anyone's) nomination?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dan_E
What is that, a synopsis of his first public comments from the confirmation process?

Way to go guys, were your minds ever open for his (or anyone's) nomination?
Is your mind ever open to the fact that there may be legitimate gripes with the people that have been nominated?

Put someone like Bruce Schneier in charge, you know, who actually understands security, and you'll probably get some support. You know, less kabuki, less invasion, and more substance? I know, that may be a tough concept to grasp.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
Is your mind ever open to the fact that there may be legitimate gripes with the people that have been nominated?

Put someone like Bruce Schneier in charge, you know, who actually understands security, and you'll probably get some support. You know, less kabuki, less invasion, and more substance? I know, that may be a tough concept to grasp.
Yessir, my mind is open to that fact. But slamming it shut after the FIRST reported statement? I would hope to have a few more reports or facts come in, maybe some other reporters takes on it. I will look at the blogs, listen to the word on the street, hear other points of view. I might read the full transcript, listen to a few folks in places like TSS, and balance ith with my own value system.

I guess I missed some other posts showing this nominee with his dentures wrapped around his loafers and other obvious gaffes, because surely the pots wouldnt be calling this keetle black about close-mindedness?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:02 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Another day, another scumbag.

My only response to him is the same response to any "questioning" from a government actor: Go ___ yourself.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff

My only response to him is the same response to any "questioning" from a government actor: Go ___ yourself.
Good argument there.

I guess the elements of debate are not lost on some people, who needs a point when you have mastered hyperbole?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is too bad. I had relatively high hopes for this guy, but, it sounds as if he's mainlined the Kool Aid. I agree with you -- it will take a very short time in which many passengers are denied flying because they refused to answer questions before this guy is thrown out on his retired Army butt.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
This is too bad. I had relatively high hopes for this guy, but, it sounds as if he's mainlined the Kool Aid. I agree with you -- it will take a very short time in which many passengers are denied flying because they refused to answer questions before this guy is thrown out on his retired Army butt.
I wish there was just one person in Congress who had the balls to ask this nominee if could explain what law permits the TSA to engage in the tactics he apparently wishes to adopt.

Oh, and to ask him about his financial dealings with companies doing business with TSA and DHS.

This exchange is priceless.

Harding said he also asked whether screeners could store computer images and was told they could not.

"I'm not a cyber expert, but I could tell from the way that the computer was configured that there was no storage," he said.
He's not a "cyber expert" but he knows how the machines are configured???

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Mar 25, 2010 at 1:10 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yessir, my mind is open to that fact. But slamming it shut after the FIRST reported statement? I would hope to have a few more reports or facts come in, maybe some other reporters takes on it. I will look at the blogs, listen to the word on the street, hear other points of view. I might read the full transcript, listen to a few folks in places like TSS, and balance ith with my own value system.

I guess I missed some other posts showing this nominee with his dentures wrapped around his loafers and other obvious gaffes, because surely the pots wouldnt be calling this keetle black about close-mindedness?
News of his nomination wasn't anything new, and he was discussed. Some were skeptical (including me). Others, like Flies, thought he might be good. Search for the thread and you'll see.

But if we have nothing to go on but this statement to Congress, isn't what he says to Congress worth something? Or should we just discount it because he hasn't said "enough" yet?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL/PM SM/AMEX/Plat HH/Gold Marriott/Plat Starwood/Plat

FIRST statement. Are you kidding me. For an appointment at this level do you not think he has been coached by TSA / Administration along with the hidden stakeholders (read L3..) on major issues and he comes in with these strong statements? Surely you do not think they are obvious gaffes right?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Wish I couldn't say I told you so.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by halls120
This exchange is priceless.

He's not a "cyber expert" but he knows how the machines are configured???
The entire report was a laugh a minute, it really was. This man is very dangerous and if he progresses in the nomination process, I would be very concerned.

OTOH, if one wants to emulate a psychotic, melodramatic mini-fascist state where racism, apartheid and ethnic cleansing are the cornerstone of the aviation security system, then this goy is the man for the job.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:21 pm

My favorite part was

"But it also is criticized by some civil rights and privacy advocates because Israeli officials profile passengers, ask intrusive questions and sometimes prevent people from flying."

so how is that different than what the TSA already does?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That's the truth. And this clown gives evidence toward the notion of "military intelligence" being an oxymoron.

I am not going to willingly submit to TSA's stupid questioning or the strip searches that this nominated TSA clown wants to force on all Americans.

He belongs in North Korea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.