Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Does this mean the TSA will now be working the nations subways??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.

Well, well, well.......as we all know it was only a matter of time before the terrorists tried to attack another mode of transporation. And failed again thankfully.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/world/us/afghan-man-pleads-guilty-to-plotting-new-york-subway-attack-$1361881.htm

So will those blue shirts starts working underground to make us safe?

The news this morning reported that al-Qaeda wants to cause mass body count terrorism. So I guess this means that we'll have the TSA based in malls, sports stadiums or any where there is a very large group of people.

I'm sure all those people that keep spouting the line "as long as it keeps me safe" will just love having to walk through metal detectors when they need to go to Wal-Mart or stand in a nude-o-scope to just get to work in our nations cities. <insert sarcastic look here.......roll of eyes doesn't enhance it enough>
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by trvlr64
Well, well, well.......as we all know it was only a matter of time before the terrorists tried to attack another mode of transporation. And failed again thankfully.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/world/us/afghan-man-pleads-guilty-to-plotting-new-york-subway-attack-$1361881.htm

So will those blue shirts starts working underground to make us safe?

The news this morning reported that al-Qaeda wants to cause mass body count terrorism. So I guess this means that we'll have the TSA based in malls, sports stadiums or any where there is a very large group of people.

I'm sure all those people that keep spouting the line "as long as it keeps me safe" will just love having to walk through metal detectors when they need to go to Wal-Mart or stand in a nude-o-scope to just get to work in our nations cities. <insert sarcastic look here.......roll of eyes doesn't enhance it enough>
The TSA is on mission creep and subway systems are in their scope whether or not they were actually in the scope of a person who would plead guilty to anything to keep his mother and other relatives from going to prison over an immigration violation or whatever else comes up in a fishing expedition.

Originally Posted by TSA.gov
Two New York City subway cars were recently moved to the TSA’s National Explosive Detection Canine Team Program facility in San Antonio, Texas. Mass transit systems are designed to be open and accessible, and are intended to move large numbers of people rapidly and efficiently. Transit systems in larger cities have large numbers of stations with multiple entrances and exits, as well as multiple train platforms. All of these characteristics are a challenge to security, and TSA is actively pursuing programs and technologies to address those challenges.
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/..._facility.shtm
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
I don't actually think they will do an effective job of this, and therefore would oppose such a move, but mission creep? Transportation Security Administation is pretty clear - their remit can extend to any form of public transportation, it would appear.

Calling it mission creep is as misleading as blind claims by the TSA that anything they do will automatically make us safer. Take the high road
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:04 am

How soon before they start riding along on school buses?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I maintain that TSA is a cancer on the US.

Treatment should begin at once.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:42 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world
I don't actually think they will do an effective job of this, and therefore would oppose such a move, but mission creep?
I agree that it is not mission creep per Congress's description TSA's mandate. They are just doing what Congress told them to do and picking the most visible places they can do it so as to be noticed and thereby assumed useful and then line their pockets with even more funding as a member of one of the proposed-freeze-exempt depatmetns.

Transportation Security Administation is pretty clear - their remit can extend to any form of public transportation, it would appear.
It should be noted that the TSA does not limit itself to public transportation; they also pry open containers in shipping ports which doesn't fit the exact bill of public transportation. They are not the PTSA as your second paragraph limits them, FYI. Don't sell them short!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't actually think they will do an effective job of this, and therefore would oppose such a move, but mission creep? Transportation Security Administation is pretty clear - their remit can extend to any form of public transportation, it would appear.

Calling it mission creep is as misleading as blind claims by the TSA that anything they do will automatically make us safer. Take the high road
By your definition, the TSA should be able to stop you before you hop into your car, right?

How about before you walk down the street? After all, walking is a form of Transportation, right?

Stretching things? Yes, but it fits your point to a glove.

Careful what you wish for.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:58 am

TSA VIPR Teams already work in major transportation systems. Planes, Trains, Ferries, Pipelines, Light Rail, etc.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:02 am

If they put a screener in our cars, does that mean we can use the car pool lane?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by Good Guy
TSA VIPR Teams already work in major transportation systems. Planes, Trains, Ferries, Pipelines, Light Rail, etc.
TSA VIPR teams... Would that be anything like the Cobra Vipers in the old GI Joe cartoons? TSA certainly fills the role that Cobra claimed very well, only their scope is currently national instead of world-wide.

Yes, I will happily class TSA and its personnel right up there with terrorists and terrorist cells. They both actively work to destroy our rights and harm in society, only in different ways.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LessO2
By your definition, the TSA should be able to stop you before you hop into your car, right?

How about before you walk down the street? After all, walking is a form of Transportation, right?

Stretching things? Yes, but it fits your point to a glove.

Careful what you wish for.
More reading required. There is a big difference between "should be able to" and "legally probably could". Don't assume for a second that I would support it.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More reading required.
Go ahead, I'll wait.

There is a big difference between "should be able to" and "legally probably could". Don't assume for a second that I would support it.
You never made the differences clear. The modes of transportation listed are by means of public thoroughfares, paid for and maintained by tax dollars.

Your inference is that you feel that by name, the TSA has right to patrol every mode of transportation because the word "Transportation" is in its name.

Try being a little more clear in your posting, okay?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LessO2
Try being a little more clear in your posting, okay?
sorry you got confused.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
My questions...

Does the subway ticket have to match your ID? What if I refuse to show ID?

Does the 3-1-1 rules apply?

And.. do I have to take my shoes off before boarding the subway?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
More reading required. There is a big difference between "should be able to" and "legally probably could". Don't assume for a second that I would support it.
But with lawyers like Francine the Googling Lawyer® working for TSA, that probably means it's a green light to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.