Wiki Posts
Search

camera tri-pod in carry-on & insect repellant

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
camera tri-pod in carry-on & insect repellant

Headed down to Central America tomorrow.

I have a small light-weight tri-pod I'd like to put in the carry-on -- any resident TSO's think it'll be a problem?

Next - any good suggestions for an insect repellent that works? Not sure that the "wipes" are all that strong. Most other repellents, i.e. deep woods off, are in larger aerosol containers.

In the past I've found 100ml bottles of wipe on repellent with a high deet concentration, but just not finding it this time of year here.

Worse case I buy upon arrival at hotel inflated prices.

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:21 am

I have a few liquids and creams in smaller bottles such as Cutter, Repel and 3M Ultrathon. Just look for a good concentration of DEET (30% and above) and you should be fine.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I take a tripod in my carry-on all the time - and it's not small either. It's only been inspected once because it showed up on the x-ray as something 'odd'. Multiple trips through various checkpoints and never a check - of course I'm smuggling a stack of liquids and gels with me and they never see those either, so go figure.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by ND Sol
I have a few liquids and creams in smaller bottles such as Cutter, Repel and 3M Ultrathon. Just look for a good concentration of DEET (30% and above) and you should be fine.
+1 Using 3M Ultrathon and it is packed small enough

(I know of people who risk malaria since they can't have their repellent in their carry-on so the moment they deplane they get eaten by mosquitoes - another thing that people don't really consider and where TSA regulations actually harm PAX).
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sebastian_R
+1 Using 3M Ultrathon and it is packed small enough

(I know of people who risk malaria since they can't have their repellent in their carry-on so the moment they deplane they get eaten by mosquitoes - another thing that people don't really consider and where TSA regulations actually harm PAX).
I'll drop by one of the large pharmacies in town shortly.

Agree with you on the latter and have heard many stories about mosquito repellent being confiscated by TSA (too large, aerosol, etc).

I won't be spending significant time in a "malaria zone", but will be passing through such areas (I have latest maps, info, immunizations, etc provided by travel clinic).

Always best to take precautions.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:41 pm

1. use an electronic mosquito repeller

or

2. the Off mosquitor repeller I have is not aerosol. there is a pump, similar to hair sprays.

3. take the liquid mosquito repeller and pour it into multiple small bottles and you will be fine. when your trip is done, empty them back into the large mosquito repeller bottle it came from.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Headed down to Central America tomorrow.
Next - any good suggestions for an insect repellent that works? Not sure that the "wipes" are all that strong. Most other repellents, i.e. deep woods off, are in larger aerosol containers.
I visit mosquito infested areas regularly. Try finding stuff that uses Picaridin as the active ingredient. Doesn't smell nasty, isn't greasy, won't ruin plastics. I find it just as effective. Try to find the 15 to 20% concentration.

Avon sells a version (the effect was first noticed with the 'Skin So Soft' products), and most other bug brands offer it too.

http://www.picaridin.com/
Old Feb 18, 2010, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mileena
1. use an electronic mosquito repeller

or

2. the Off mosquitor repeller I have is not aerosol. there is a pump, similar to hair sprays.

3. take the liquid mosquito repeller and pour it into multiple small bottles and you will be fine. when your trip is done, empty them back into the large mosquito repeller bottle it came from.
Looks like I'll just buy something decent on arrival as I do arrive during the afternoon and my first stop is an airport hotel which will have what I need before I continue my journey later in the day.

Won't be in the higher risk areas for Malaria or Dengue, but I will transit through some higher risk areas late tomorrow.

FWIW, I did get some Cutter Advantage with Picaridin, but spoke to the folks at the Intl Travel Clinic after getting home and was told Picaridin isn't very effective where I'll be, despite the claims made online.

The liquid deet I did locate was in 6 oz plus bottles, but was under 30% deet. Only thing I found with a decent deet concentration was some of the aerosols.

My travel clinic suggested a sporting goods store and not to waste time at the pharmacies (been pharmacy jumping all afternoon). I'll hit one such store later this evening if I have time -- otherwise, will just buy on arrival.

The selection of insect repellents is limited at best here in Kentucky this time of year -- which sadly doesn't surprise me. In the past I've been able to buy 30% deet liquid in 100 ml containers at the pharmacies (usually late March) - just not finding them this year.

As to the poster above -- what parts of the world have you successfully used Picaridin?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I would think that
Insect repellant on a trip is a "medicine" in the eyes of the TSA. Bring along the brand in the quantity you believe is necessary and declare it as medicine to the screener. Be prepared to not take "no" for an answer and escalate up the chain as far as necessary.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I would think that
Insect repellant on a trip is a "medicine" in the eyes of the TSA. Bring along the brand in the quantity you believe is necessary and declare it as medicine to the screener. Be prepared to not take "no" for an answer and escalate up the chain as far as necessary.
In my eyes it is a preventative medicine, just like anti-malaria RX medication is.

On some occasions I have to go up the chain just to get my RX toothpaste through.

I'm done for the day and will just buy on arrival, but will try the above in the future.

What the TSA does not realize is mosquito's and such may be annoying here in the US (set aside West Nile Virus), but in other parts of the world mosquito repellent is a necessity because of disease such as Malaria and Dengue Fever... Especially when the disease carrying mosquito's come out at night.

How many TSA screeners realize the dangers of Malaria and Dengue Fever? When this "LGA" policy was put in place, did anyone give thought to liquids / aerosols which help prevent mosquito borne diseases?

If anything, it was my mistake of looking for repellents at the last minute. In the future, will just order online to get what I want and need.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
Looks like I'll just buy something decent on arrival as I do arrive during the afternoon and my first stop is an airport hotel which will have what I need before I continue my journey later in the day.

FWIW, I did get some Cutter Advantage with Picaridin, but spoke to the folks at the Intl Travel Clinic after getting home and was told Picaridin isn't very effective where I'll be, despite the claims made online..

The selection of insect repellents is limited at best here in Kentucky this time of year -- which sadly doesn't surprise me. In the past I've been able to buy 30% deet liquid in 100 ml containers at the pharmacies (usually late March) - just not finding them this year.

As to the poster above -- what parts of the world have you successfully used Picaridin?
Is there an REI sporting goods store around there? They often have a selection even in off seasons.

I've used both DEET and Picaridin while visiting the south Asian tropics over the last 10 years. Often living next to the jungle for several weeks at a time. Both seem equally effective.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:46 pm

if you get a doctor's prescription you can carry any size bottle you want of the repeller.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:47 pm

the other thing i would do is try to reason with TSA and tell them why you need such a large bottle. that's how it works with baby formula.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.