Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SOP discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: SSSSS
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has become aware that an outdated version of a Standard Operating Procedures document was improperly posted by the agency to the Federal Business Opportunities Web site wherein redacted material was not properly protected.‪

TSA takes this matter very seriously and took swift action when this was discovered. A full review is now underway.

TSA has many layers of security in place to keep the traveling public safe and to constantly adapt to evolving threats. TSA has put appropriate measures in place to effectively screen passengers at airport security checkpoints nationwide.
I had a dream last night. I dreamt that we elected a president who vowed governmental transparancy to the people and the TSA published its SOPs.

The document was published in response to a vendor's questions about a TSA RFP. They published, as part of a procurement solicitation, an "outdated" SOP!!?

Let's see if I have this straight. TSA wants to hire a contractor to do what they don't do any more and pay them big bucks. Now that is progress!

I'm glad the TSA takes this matter very seriously. I hope that the swift action was to figure out it was not qualified to do its job and is in the process of disbanding itself once and for all.

On the other hand, I suspect that my dream is not coming true and the TSA at this very minute has assembled a collection of blindfolds and a firing squad.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to enjoy the next few days in seeing the TSA squirm and emphasizing the SOP being "outdated" and all the "layers" that's out there.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO
I think much of what is SSI should be so. But that is just my opinion.
Could you please explain why you think so? I'm curious about this class of information that is acceptable for communication to thousands of lowest-level TSA employees, but that must be hidden from the general public.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Why do you think the LEO would conduct the search? I've never seen it happen. What I have seen happen is the LEO threatens the pax for arrest and then instructs the TSO to finish the search.
In cases like this, what crime would the police officer be accusing the passenger of having committed were he to arrest as threatened?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
US News and World Report is now reporting TSA to Conduct Full Review After Leak of Sensitive Information.

Gee, why would that be necessary if the information was “obsolete”?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
BB is getting the puppy post together now.

Should have been a fine day to work at TSA HQ!
Something must be up, because at the moment it's really quiet - no new comments since Friday afternoon.
Originally Posted by LessO2
I'm going to enjoy the next few days in seeing the TSA squirm and emphasizing the SOP being "outdated" and all the "layers" that's out there.
Yo, Bob, you can save time and space by just saying:
"7, 9, 17, 7, 20, 7, 24a and, uh, 7." Might want to stay away from 10.

(No, it never gets old. )
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:32 pm

Too bad they don't send out redacted electronic FOIA documents.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IslandBased
Too bad they don't send out redacted electronic FOIA documents.
Heck I would be happy with a redacted FOIA document. I am still waiting from last year.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by greentips
The document was published in response to a vendor's questions about a TSA RFP. They published, as part of a procurement solicitation, an "outdated" SOP!!?
It is considered outdated now. There is no indication that it was or was not in March '09 when it was published. I've reached out to my OPA contact to clarify that though I don't expect an answer at least until mid-day tomorrow.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Flew out of MSP today. The mood at the checkpoint was decidely chilly. No yelling, bags weren't torn apart. Perhaps they had a sobering briefing from management.

PV had gone silent with no updates either. Blogdad Bob didn't have a good Monday either.

As to the validity of the document, I've written many, many documents and suspect that while some sections have changed that the meat of the document still resembles what we're reading today.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
It is considered outdated now. There is no indication that it was or was not in March '09 when it was published. I've reached out to my OPA contact to clarify that though I don't expect an answer at least until mid-day tomorrow.
I'm certain that some portions of the document have changed, but certainly most are still relevant, no matter what anyone connected with TSA may state.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

I had a chance to read the whole thing cover to cover today. Good God what a boring document. Between it and the Publix sub, I was darn near done for.

Maybe I am dense or maybe it was the carb overload but the only thing I could see in the document worth redacting is possible the examples of the IDs.

Did anyone find anything juicy in it?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by doober
I'm certain that some portions of the document have changed, but certainly most are still relevant, no matter what anyone connected with TSA may state.
Of course most of it is still relevant. The TSA is just trying to throw a load of bull and pretend it was no big deal.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Flew out of MSP today. The mood at the checkpoint was decidely chilly. No yelling, bags weren't torn apart. Perhaps they had a sobering briefing from management.
Care to expand on this part?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

This is me watching this.

The following links were found on Google news.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/...formation.html

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/12/tsa-leak

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12...edaction_fail/

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2009/12...umbest+One+Yet

http://www.gadling.com/2009/12/07/ts...t-top-secrect/

http://gawker.com/5420989/the-gawker...-travel-season

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.