Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SOP discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Either Superman used to work for DHS, or this guy really should not use his middle name with the media.
Poor guy got canned by TSA for criticizing procedures:

The man who has issued many critical reports about the mismanagement and security flaws at the Department of Homeland Security was told Wednesday night that he was out of a job.

Clark Ervin made himself very unpopular by issuing a series of stinging reports on security programs that he said had failed, officials he called inept, and fraud that he suspected. His year-end report, out today, alleges that millions of dollars have been wasted or are unaccounted for by the department.
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Investigat...=316582&page=1

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Back on topic: gotta love all the comments at ABC screaming about how the media is helping the bad guys by reporting the story/linking the document.
Idiots!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is right smack in the middle of the time when all the Kettles fly once a year. What a great opportunity to send a reporter out to the airport to interview a few of them. All they need is to find a few sheep to say, "I don't feel safe anymore."
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:55 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by doober
Poor guy got canned by TSA for criticizing procedures:
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Investigat...=316582&page=1
Thanks for the link. Not quite the man of steel, but obviously one of the good guys. TSA should've listened.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by sbm12
Did they mention my blog??
No mention of you.

Clip has made it to YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf5alPFj-LA
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA's current statement should bring into question everything else they have stated over the past months.
It should. But it won't.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 7:59 pm

Just got off the phone with a reporter. The WaPo Homeland Security Corespondent is apparently putting a piece together tonight for publication soon. ^^^

They're going after the TSA pretty hard it would seem.
Nicely done. WaPo article.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Since this wasn't a released document why are they scrambling around in full damage control mode? /sarcasm

Take care since a wounded animal lashes out at anything.
I have a very safe viewing location.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Will it be contained inside TSA?
Good question. I'll know more in a few days. The damage control effort is definitely raging in DHS HQ, not just TSA.

Last edited by halls120; Dec 8, 2009 at 8:10 pm
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Anderson Cooper is doing a story on this on CNN right now.

EDIT: Ok the basic "the sky is falling" crap. The SOP is a handbook for terrorism and other such drivel.

The most damning thing in it is the inability of the x-ray to discover wire smaller than 24 gauge. Let's all pretend that the terrorist and the governments that back them don't have access to the specs of a common x-ray machine.

Handbook for terrorist my left foot.

Last edited by Trollkiller; Dec 8, 2009 at 8:24 pm
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:23 pm

I was waiting to find some spare time for my OCR and true text comparison to run during a lull at work. I haven't had a good one yet.

It seems that it is, in fact, just formatting that is different. I just happened to find that one bit my first time through. I guess I'm that good.

I will be preparing some specific details tonight on the two and will hit up the TSA with that either late tonight or first thing in the morning.
I got the post up tonight about this. I did reach out to the Public Affairs group but was told that it it too late at night to get a response about the issue tonight.

I'll press further tomorrow unless the WaPo guy was able to get an answer first.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:29 pm

The WaPo article is online. Registration may be required to view it right now. Here's my favorite part:
"After getting over the initial shock of how stupid that it seemed they were for putting out a document like that," Miller said in a phone interview, "I think the most significant risk is that when . . . you see some of the things that are marked as "security sensitive information, you have to sort of smack your hand on your forehead and say, 'What are they thinking?' "

Nothing about the FOIA in there though. I'll follow up with the reporter tomorrow.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8402909.stm

Article on the BBC and yes the Wandering Aramean was given credit for breaking the story. ^
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
EDIT: Ok the basic "the sky is falling" crap. The SOP is a handbook for terrorism and other such drivel.
Well ... considering that some TSA advocates use a similar level of hyperbole in justifying invasive security procedures, it somehow seems fitting.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Well ... considering that some TSA advocates use a similar level of hyperbole in justifying invasive security procedures, it somehow seems fitting.
But we are BETTER than they are. We are prone to logic not unfounded fear.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:47 pm

But we are BETTER than they are. We are prone to logic not unfounded fear.
Oh, don't get me wrong ... absolutely, we should be better than unfounded rumor-mongering.

Still ... when those who use unfounded fear to advance their agenda suddenly find themselves on the receiving end of criticism based on unfounded fears, there's a certain symmetry which is pleasing ...
Old Dec 8, 2009, 8:53 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8402909.stm

Article on the BBC and yes the Wandering Aramean was given credit for breaking the story. ^
The Australian media is too busy with Copenhagen, Tiger and the winner of a $40 million lottery... We're a bit slow down here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.