Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

More Mission Creep -- Now They're Stopping Trains!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The ever-vigilant TSA decided to stop all train traffic in & around Orlando during the disgruntled employee shooting last week. Of course, they gloated about it on their own web site:

TSA's Security Role During the Recent Orlando Shooting

November 10, 2009

While TSA is mostly known for airport security, on November 6, the agency worked to assure the safety of the traveling public when a shooting broke out in downtown Orlando.

Local TSA officials in Orlando worked with Amtrak police to quickly provide information that led to halting all Amtrak and CSX train traffic throughout the Orlando area until the suspect was apprehended and the threat contained. This quick and coordinated response is a direct result of the strong partnership developed between TSA and Amtrak while planning for and conducting frequent Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response (VIPR) team operations.

Comprised of Federal Air Marshals, TSA Surface Transportation Security Inspectors, Transportation Security Officers, Behavior Detection Officers and Explosives Detection Canine Teams, VIPR teams work with local law enforcement to supplement existing security resources and provide deterrent presence and detection capabilities. VIPR operations are done on a random basis in all modes of transportation.

"Over the past few months, we have built a strong working relationship with our security and law enforcement partners through coordinated local operations," said Orlando Federal Security Director John Daly. He emphasized: "The operational experience we have gained through these relationships proved very valuable in responding to an actual threat in our region."
"Yep, I'm going to shoot up my old office and then catch the 5:15 to Atlantic City." Sure make sense to me!

I wonder how much this little stunt cost the taxpayers, AMTRAK and CSX???
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
The ever-vigilant TSA decided to stop all train traffic in & around Orlando during the disgruntled employee shooting last week. Of course, they gloated about it on their own web site:

"Yep, I'm going to shoot up my old office and then catch the 5:15 to Atlantic City." Sure make sense to me!

emphasis mine: shame on you....you know that's ssi

but in all seriousness, total mission creep afaic
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

Oh my stars - if they were worried about the suspect getting on a train, which not just send the trains through the station without stopping?

Addendum:

A quick Google search for newspaper articles on this shooting finds only one that states a highway was closed and schools locked down but no mention of trains being stopped.

And, Flies, this post came up as the third hit on the search results list! That's fast.

Last edited by doober; Nov 10, 2009 at 3:26 pm Reason: addendum
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by doober
Oh my stars - if they were worried about the suspect getting on a train, which not just send the trains through the station without stopping?
But, but, but, you've seen the movies where they show the bad guys getting on board moving trains. It looks so easy and we have no means of preventing anyone from boarding a moving train.

/sarcasm off
/Hollywood threat scenarios off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.