Glow sticks in carry-on?

Old Oct 11, 2009, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Glow sticks in carry-on?

Hi everyone,

Do glow sticks count as liquid in carry-on luggage?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane
Hi everyone,

Do glow sticks count as liquid in carry-on luggage?
yes
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Might be able to get away with sticking them in your pocket.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I have some considerable experience and expertise with this exact issue. I can tell you that I often carry over 120 of the bracelet style glow sticks in my carry on. I put them in cardboard tooth brush boxes left over from various hotel stays. These support them rigidly so they do not break and each tooth brush box holds about 20-25 of them. Then I distribute the tooth brush boxes throughout my carry-on so as they are not concentrated all in one place. I have passed through security at SAN, DEN, LAX, NRT, ICN, TPE, and CAN numerous times this way and it has never triggered an alarm or caused any question even when very diligent screeners were manning (or womaning) the x-ray screens. I have grasp brief glimpses of the x-ray screen and could not identify anything unusual looking. I assume they would be subject to confiscation if they were discovered but there has never been an issue. What I do with all these thousands of contraband glow sticks is highly classified.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:40 am

In the UK I would assume you would have to put them in the liquids bag that you have to use now.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by ukflyer1
In the UK I would assume you would have to put them in the liquids bag that you have to use now.
For the shorter glow sticks that would work fine but the bracelet style ones which are most common are just a little to long to fit into a standard regulation bomb proof baggie and no way are you getting 120 in there. Besides my anti-terror baggie is usually too overstuffed with mini bottles of booze to fit anything else.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
For the shorter glow sticks that would work fine but the bracelet style ones which are most common are just a little to long to fit into a standard regulation bomb proof baggie and no way are you getting 120 in there. Besides my anti-terror baggie is usually too overstuffed with mini bottles of booze to fit anything else.
Fair enough!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.