Wiki Posts
Search

Question on Unlocking Tmobile Phone

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2004, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; HH Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz Pres
Question on Unlocking Tmobile Phone

I have a Motorola V300 with Tmobile service. I want to use a pre-paid SIM card while in Australia for 2 months. I requested the unlock code from Tmobile and they sent it to me.
My(probably dumb) question is... I assume I need to keep this code and instructions. Then when I get the SIM in Australia and insert it - it will tell me it's locked and then I need to enter the unlock code? Basically, I don't need to do anything now?
Thks.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Yes you are correct.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 2:04 pm

Programs: Avis PP, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
Can't say for Motorola - I heard it requires another operator's SIM card to get unlocked. I had experience with Nokia and Sony Ericsson - they can be unlocked by entering a code even with a T-Mobile SIM card (or w/o a SIM card at all - don't remember) inserted.
I wouldn't trust T-Mobile service completely - the first code they provided for my Nokia was incorrect. They explained the error by telling me that my Nokia was locked in the VoiceStream times, and they had to deal with multiple databases when changing to T-Mobile.
Anyway, even though v300 is a new model and can't have problems attributed to VoiceStream, I wouldn't wait till getting to Australia. Find a friend with Cingular or AT&T, and borrow their SIM card for a minute to unlock the phone.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:17 am

Location: Portland, Or. AA Lifetime Plat, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by nyc_flying_gal
I have a Motorola V300 with Tmobile service. I want to use a pre-paid SIM card while in Australia for 2 months. I requested the unlock code from Tmobile and they sent it to me.
My(probably dumb) question is... I assume I need to keep this code and instructions. Then when I get the SIM in Australia and insert it - it will tell me it's locked and then I need to enter the unlock code? Basically, I don't need to do anything now?
Thks.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 2:48 am

Programs: Aurigny Titanium
It's the PHONE you are unlocking. You should do it now.

Hi:

I think you've slightly misunderstood what T-Mobile have done. It's nothing to with your SIM card or your T-Mobile subscription.

GSM phones can be locked in a few different ways (I think the spec has 4 different locks).

You can lock the phone so it can't use any SIM card from another network. You can even lock the phone so it cant' use ANY other SIM.

When you buy almost any GSM phone in the USA (no matter what manufacturer) they usually have a cosy deal with the carrier to "lock" the telephone to your home network when you buy iy.. This is tied to the fact the carrier probably subsidised the price of the 'phone.

And this means that you can't swap SIM cards for one from any other network.

In Europe, many networks don't do this.

In some countries, this is actually unlawful, like Finland, and - I think - Belgium where phones are sold separately from service.

In others, like the UK, the pay-monthly customer is tied by contract for 12 months - they don't care what you do with your own phone so long as you keep the 12 month minimum on their network [Pre-paid is different, however, since you don't have a continuing contract - those phonese are usually locked]

Most of these phones (there are some early and/or cheap phones which require hardware intervention) can have the Service Provider Locks removed simply by typing in a long series of secret digits which is an encoding of the phone's serial number with some magic checksum. This usually involves (at least with Nokias) a few "w" and "p" characters.

In Europe the networks usually charge between 25-50 dollars for the carrier unlock code, if the phone is locked.

What T-Mobile (who subsidised your purchase of the phone) have done is given you this magic code, so you can use the phone with ANY carrier. (Nice of them ... did you have to pay anything??)

Once you've unlocked (and be careful to follow the instructions exactly, since you can permanently lock the phone if you get it wrong!) the phone can be used with ANY sim card, including of course T-Mobile.

Consequently, all you need to do is enter that code, once. And you can do it now.

Having done that, your PHONE will be ready to accept any card. [If you have a friend with a SIM card from a different US GSM network, try it in your phone before, and after you unlock the phone].

Finally, before leaving, doublecheck that your V300 is tri-band, or at the very least dual-band. (From member, I think it is - I don't pay much attention to Moto phones).

European and Australian GSM networks use 900MHz and 1800MHz frequencies, whereas the USA is exclusively 1900MHz. Consequently, unless it is explicitly advertised as multi-band, many US phones simply won't work in Europe or Australia, which don't use 1900.

Nigel Roberts

PS: I can unlock the carrier lock on most modern Nokia phones by email. PM me if you are interested.

Originally Posted by nyc_flying_gal
Thks.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:56 pm

failed to unlock mobile phone

Hi,
I tried to unlock my phone.
T-mobile gave me the wrong unlock code twice.
Now my phone is locked permanently and T-Mobile is not willing to be responsible. Is there any way to unlock it?
thank you
Old Oct 11, 2004, 4:45 pm

Programs: Delta-Gold/CRC, SPG-Platinum, HHonors-Diamond, USAir-Silver
A website that might lend some help.

Follow this link, it will take you to a website that deals with unlocking phone codes and it is also where you can order SIM's ahead of your trip.

http://www.moremobile.co.uk/unlocking-mobile-phones/

also you can go to this site for SIM's

http://www.telestial.com

Many phones can ONLY be unlocked via the cellular provider through the use of a special software and computer interface that the phone must be connected to. It is actually against the law for your phone NOT to be unlocked if you so request it of your service provider. I would go back to the store where you purchased the phone and demand they unlock the phone for oversea use. Do make sure that your model of phone will support the CDMA/GSM frequency of the country of travel. Many phones that claim to work overseas unless they are Worldband Phones, you may experience problems in certain countries. Do you homework first as I always say.

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by danil
Hi,
I tried to unlock my phone.
T-mobile gave me the wrong unlock code twice.
Now my phone is locked permanently and T-Mobile is not willing to be responsible. Is there any way to unlock it?
thank you
just sign up for t-mobiles internaionl roaming "world class" or what ever it is called. It takes about a week,. they will unlock tyhe phone for you & you are suppose to use tehn for roaming (about $1 USD per minute in Europe) but you can just exchange the sim card with a local one & call for less.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:13 am

I have an unlocked T-Mobile V300 which I have used with prepaid SIM cards in Asia. I love the V300 to no end.

Before my last trip to the Philippines, I researched this very subject. I quickly came to the conclusion that some of the Motorolas (including the V300) can't just be unlocked by typing in a code. The other manufacturers, you can buy (or obtain) an unlock code.

I ended up paying someone $20 to unlock it in a cell phone repair shop in Manila. You may have to do the same.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Unlock T-Mobile

T-Mobile gave me the unlock code after 14 days because this was the trial period. After the trial period, they freely gave me the unlock code for my subsidized Samsung V205. I unlocked it with a GSM chip in it.

AT&T would not unlock my work phone, a Nokia 3100. Fortunately, Nokia unlock programs can be found online. We also got a Nokia 3120 when going from T-Mobile to Cingular. It was also easy to unlock.
Of course it looks kind of weird now since the T-Mobile logoed phone comes up with Cingular service. If you keep the phone and change the provider, you will have to reconfigure the web access stuff, which you can also find on line.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:56 am

Programs: United 1K
This helps a great deal on my trip next week to Prague, Belgrade, and Vienna.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, SPG Plat
My understanding with tmobile is that they will provide you the unlock code to a telephone for free after you have paid for 3 months of service.

I've got tmobile and their world access program, but I just used local SIM cards in Australia when I was there. (I was amused that vodaphone will sell you a SIM card at the airport... They are all set up for that!)
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:02 pm
Mul

I got the unlocked instruction + code from T-Mobile after 2 months of service. They will ask you for the phone serial #. This number is tied to the unlocked code. If you provided the wrong #, then the unlock code will not work.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
I had the same experience as Mul. My wife and I have used our 2 V300s all over Europe. My only recollection is that the wording on the screen in going through the unlock procedure was a bit different than what was explained to me.

I expect to go through this again when the V330 comes out in about 2 weeks.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 3:52 pm

was it unlocked

i live in australia and am interested in purchasing a t-mobile phone that has been unlocked , or as in your case you say it wasnt and you used a vodaphone sim card that you purchased from the airport. did all the features work as per t-mobile

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.