How can wireless miss a "major" city

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2003, 4:34 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
How can wireless miss a "major" city

Have AT&T wireless, gsm service.

I can not use the phone while in Cincinnati.

I just can't believe that service for AT&T wireless is not offered in a city the size of Cincinnati. How can a company overlook this city?

------------------
Visit FlyerTalk Dining http://flyertalk.com/diningfr.shtml
Old May 31, 2003, 4:51 pm

Location: Port Angeles, WA, USA Unwanted by AS, Hilton-Diamond, Starwood Platnum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

I just can't believe that service for AT&T wireless is not offered in a city the size of Cincinnati. How can a company overlook this city?
</font>
It's not a matter of over looking a city. Cell bandwidth is like a radio station. there are only so many bands that are available and they are handed out via a lottery. If you don't win one and you can't lease one. You are not there. Hence AT&T is not in Cincinnati.

------------------
"A day without Points/Miles is like a day without SUNSHINE"
Old Jun 2, 2003, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
Have AT&T wireless, gsm service.

</font>
I just switched from ATT WS TDMA phone to a GSM Blackberry and was told by my national rep that GSM service is very limited right now but they are expanding it over the next few years until it finally covers the country

Old Jun 2, 2003, 10:46 am

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Now here in Cincy you actually connect though Cincinnati Bell's wireless network since they still have a baby bell relationship with AT&T. AT&T does not have any infrastructure in Cincinnati since Cincy Bell is a partner. Then when you get outside of Cincinnati you are using At&T's network. Sounds like the Cincy Bell network didn't pick you up as a AT&T partner.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 7:07 pm

https://www.attws.com/images/maps/ngnn-nat.gif

I've stayed away from switching to AT&T's "next generation" service, because while the phones are cool, the coverage is not going to be ready until at least the next generation.

[This message has been edited by BeantownFlyer (edited 06-02-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.