Original Poster

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
For birders / birdwatchers

I just found this article, may be useful for birdwatchers first time in Peru

http://www.peruthisweek.com/travel-5...atching-106236
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Near Lima, the parks in San Isidro are good for those from far away - El Olivar and 7 de Junio are recommended.

For good birding, Pantanos de Villa are great, with a stop at the sea village of and a stay at Paracas with visit to Islas Ballestas. Humboldt Penguins, of course.

I've done some good birding in and around Machu Picchu and around and down the path along the Vilcanota river at Aguas Calientes (the male Andean Cock of the Rock is often seen here, as well as Torrent Ducks, Blue-banded Toucanets, Highland Motmots, Golden-headed Quetzals, Versicolored Barbets, several parrots, tanagers, hummingbirds).

Andean Cock of the Rock (Phil Haber)

Lost City Bird Guides has a Machu Pcchu bird lest here.

At Ollantaytambo, check the nearby cliffs, which generate air currents, for Andean Condors. The whole Sacred Valley offers worthwhile birding, IMO.

Lake Titicaca is good for birding.

Supper birding at Tambopata Research Center, way up the Madre de Dios river from Puerto Maldonado. The clay lick alone offers 13 psittacines, all spiraling in like a kaleidoscope at dawn to beak out mineral-laden clay from the face of the collpa. Sun bitterns, well, it's an amazing place; we spent 9-10 days here and just saw more and more. Love the Harpy Eagle! Some nearby places are great too - we saw lots of Hoatzins around a oxbow lake, not to mention Giant River Otters.

Manu national park is possibly as spectacular as Tambopata.

Next on our agenda is Pacaya's-Samiria Reserve out of Nauta (Iquitos), this July. Pacaya's-Samiria bird list PDF here.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 28, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.