Search

Machu Picchu Tickets - June 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Machu Picchu Tickets - June 2013

Hey folks,

I am hitting up Machu Picchu at the end of the month and cannot get the website to work! I have been trying for many weeks but it simply wont let me pass "step three" to provide my payment info.

http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/

The tickets to climb Wayna Picchu clearly sell out three weeks in advance...how can I go about getting these? I will not be in Cusco before MP.

Has anyone purchased tickets in the past month successfully? I do not wish to go through those private tour operators...it will cost about $80 for a couple.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:55 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Have you generated the reservation code in Step 3?
I don't see a problem generating the code and then going to the payment tab (where you get asked your card info - you do need a card that is registered with Verified by Visa)...
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andreadbc
Have you generated the reservation code in Step 3?
I don't see a problem generating the code and then going to the payment tab (where you get asked your card info - you do need a card that is registered with Verified by Visa)...
I enter the info in Step 2...then push Step 3...and nothing happens at all. I have let it sit for 15 minutes and remains blank.

I have tried this on four different browsers, on a PC and Mac, from three different networks, for the past four weeks....and nothing different happens.

You are saying it works for you today? Wonder what I am messing up. haha
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by pgh234
I enter the info in Step 2...then push Step 3...and nothing happens at all. I have let it sit for 15 minutes and remains blank.

I have tried this on four different browsers, on a PC and Mac, from three different networks, for the past four weeks....and nothing different happens.

As of about 3 weeks ago, I could not get it to work. Same issue as you are. I have also heard of issues with foreign credit cards at step 3 from other forums.

In the end, I used a private service called Cusco City and they got me my tickets in about a week. A small service fee but worth it. You might like to consider this.

Cheers,
SF
Old Jun 9, 2013, 1:40 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Yes, I just tried again and it still works... but I did it on the Spanish version of the site. I tried to enter in the English version and got stuck for some reason. Do try using the Spanish version and let us know if it works!
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Do try using the Spanish version and let us know if it works!
Well, there you go...Spanish did work! Thanks for the help. ^
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:49 pm

Well, there you go...Spanish did work! Thanks for the help. ^
That's wonderful! I guess the english side of the website is not up to date ... hmm ...
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Is anyone actually getting the payment to work? I just keep getting "Operación denegada." I was actually on the phone with my bank while I did it and they did not see any payment attempt come through at all.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:19 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Is your card Verified by Visa?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:50 pm

Just a quick update to my own post from back in June.

I had mentioned that I used a service called Cusco City to get tickets to MP and I had received them via email.

Well well ... those turned out not to be tickets but just "reservations" but they were cancelled because Cusco City did not pay for the tickets (after I paid them.)

Long story short, I had to buy tickets on the spot. Contacted Cusco City, got the run-around, contested the charge with my credit card company and got a full refund.

CAUTION : Cusco City appears to have a poor track record. There are now recent reviews on tripadvisor showing the same thing to. I wish I knew this a couple months back.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Unhappy

Are there any other services/agencies that people recommend for purchasing MP tickets? I'm going to visit MP in Sept and am thinking about using http://www.ticket-machupicchu.com/. I don't mind paying a little bit more as I already spent countless time on the official site (setting language to Spanish and using IE as your web browser seemed to work) only to find that my card was denied (a rep told me that my card is Verified by Visa). I wish they also supported Mastercard SecureCode as well as I didn't have any issues purchasing train tickets.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If a little money doesn't seem to be a problem, I'd recommend a $60 membership in the nonprofit South American Explorers - they can advise you (nice website, four clubhouses - Buenos Aires, Cusco, Lima and Quito - advice, luggage storage, Internet / VOIP, bulletin boards, lectures, books, maps, you name it and possibly some discounts. They can be helfpul with a number of issues - probably including Machu Picchu purchases. In the interest of full disclosure I am a lifetime member and have been for decades.

You'll have to buy train tickets anyway - it's the only way other than hiking (with permit and hopefully a reputable company, as not all are,) to get to Aguas Calientes.

Places to buy tickets locally:

Originally Posted by South American Explorers
Entrance Process to Machu Picchu

In order to purchase your actual entrance ticket, you can no longer buy it at the entrance gate itself. You can either purchase it in Cusco or Aguas Calientes.

► Places to buy your entrance ticket.
  • Cusco. Institucion Nacional de Cultura (INC) Avenida de la Cultura 1st block across from the Estadio Garcilaso. The office hours are from 8AM to 4PM.
  • Aguas Calientes. Machu Picchu ticket office (Edificio del Instituto Nacional de Cultura. Calle Pachacútec s/n. The office hours are from 8AM to 4PM.
► CostAdmission fee are S/.140 for adults, S/.70 student with ISIC card, S/.70 for Peruvians with DNI, S/.70 for children.

► Opening days and hoursMachu Picchu is open every day of the year from 5:30-5:45AM until 5:45PM
NB 140 PEN = ~USD $50 at this time.

Also:

TIPS & ADVICE

Go early. All the daily tours to Machu Picchu arrive by the morning train around 10AM, being on the site before gives you a couple of hours with less people. Plus the morning light change is really worth it. So, sleep in Aguas Caliente the day before to get there early.

Leave late. To fully enjoy the site it deserves a full day; if you have your train that same day you will have to leave earlier. If not, you can head back the next day!

Guide. There are various guides at the gate of Machu Picchu. They do not, however, provide the best information or service. For a better guide, book ahead in Cusco!
I can vouch for he above. Obviously, if you are "bien forrado" (well set with money) stay at the Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge by Orient-Express (they say "luxury", I say "it's about location, location, location), and get as much wandering in before and after the tourist hordes arrive from Cusco and Ollantaytambo - the golden light, the lack of true jerks and troglodyte tourists - some wildlife, great photos (sometimes with mysterious mists, etc.) get there early, saty late (hint: it's easier, if you miss the bus, to walk down to Aguas Calientes - by far! - than to walk UP to Machu Picchu).

If you stay in Augas Calientes, wandr around the river when you get back (or very early) and you may see Andean cock-of-the-rock birds (scarlet red males with long tails), not to mention golden headed quetzal, torrent ducks, highland motmots - well, if you weren't a birder before you saw some of these, you may well become one! And this is just around the river and railroad bed. <lost city bird list>

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 6, 2013 at 5:05 pm Reason: add / update
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
If a little money doesn't seem to be a problem, I'd recommend a $60 membership in the nonprofit South American Explorers - they can advise you (nice website, four clubhouses - Buenos Aires, Cusco, Lima and Quito - advice, luggage storage, Internet / VOIP, bulletin boards, lectures, books, maps, you name it and possibly some discounts. They can be helfpul with a number of issues - probably including Machu Picchu purchases. In the interest of full disclosure I am a lifetime member and have been for decades.

You'll have to buy train tickets anyway - it's the only way other than hiking (with permit and hopefully a reputable company, as not all are,) to get to Aguas Calientes.
JDiver,

Not sure what you mean in your post. I'm confused.

- I don't think even a membership with the South American Explorers will help you get tickets to MP without going through an agency. Advice yes, but sale of ticket, no. Unless this has changed recently?

- Train tickets with foreign credit cards are not a problem. Peru Rail seems to be ok with visa and mc.

Cheers,
SF
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: aa
Not sure if this is what you are looking for..but we just spent the last few weeks living in the home of our good friend Percy who is a private guide and can handle everything for you. His email is [email protected]. Tell him you got his name from Jeffrey. We are the US god parents of his daughter, and are very close to his family. Just wanted to say that for full disclosure . He is a great guy and can handle everything for you.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
[rant]
I'm beginning to think that "Verified by Visa" is a urban legend. So far I've tried Citi, Chase, US Bank, Capital One, and Barclays. "Operacion Denegada" every fricken time. None of the banks have a clue about Verified by Visa whether they have it, or how to sign up for it. Visa doesn't have a clue about Verified by Visa. The Verified by Visa website is utterly useless. Booking through the Tambo del Inka will cost more, but I've had it with machupicchu.gob.pe. The curse of the Incas be upon you Verified by Visa!
[/rant]

That is all.

Andyandy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.