Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Machu Picchu Ticket Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Machu Picchu Ticket Purchase

I am trying to purchase 2 MP tickets. Trouble is although the system generated a booking code for us we cannot seem to pay for it. There is some sort of message about high season etc. but I cannot figure out what the trouble is. Tried several Visa credit cards to no avail. There are still tickets available for my date, but I do not want to wait till I arrive in Cusco the day before.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:45 am
Original Poster

I just got an email from the company that does the Machu Picchu tickets that due to fraud you can no longer pay for the tickets out of Peru!! That is crazy considering they can sell out before you arrive! Anyone know an agency that is in Peru that can book it for me without a steep markup?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:59 am

Programs: EB Silver, Finnair silver, BA, Flying blue
Hi,
We're using a Belgian guy based in Lima for our trip - can't tell you what the actual service is like as we leave don't leave for Peru until the 12th august, but so far he has been very helpful and he was recommended by a friend.

His contact details are:
Jean-Paul Hemelaer
[email protected]
SAFE IN LIMA SAC
www.safeinlima.com
HOSTEL IN LIMA -TOUR OPERATOR IN PERU
ALFREDO SILVA 150
04 BARRANCO
TEL. 51/1/2527330
MOBILE 51/997282105 (Claro)
51/964539321 (Movistar)
#094915(RPM)

Chris
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Your hotel concierge may be able to book them for you, for a 10% fee. Mine did (Tambo del Inka)

Considering how ticked off you might be not to get to MP, I'd say it's fair...
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: SPG, HH
I am trying to purchase 2 MP tickets. Trouble is although the system generated a book

The website says that due to the high incidence of fraud with Visa products they no longer accept them; perhaps you ought to try another card and see how that goes...
Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:02 pm

Would someone mind posting the website for the Macchu Picchu tickets, or should I just google it?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
If your hotel won't do it for you or if you have trouble getting in contact with them, I used www.ticket-machupicchu.com/ and it worked for me. The markup is a little higher than 10% ($61 for the regular entry ticket), but it was better than a few travel agents I tried to contact. They got back to me in about 2 business days with a ticket that I can print out.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:31 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Antipode
If your hotel won't do it for you or if you have trouble getting in contact with them, I used www.ticket-machupicchu.com/ and it worked for me. The markup is a little higher than 10% ($61 for the regular entry ticket), but it was better than a few travel agents I tried to contact. They got back to me in about 2 business days with a ticket that I can print out.
If you want to visit Wayna Picchu, you should buy the tickets before arrival to Lima. On the other hand, if you are going see Machu Pichhu without climbing Wayna Picchu, buying tickets in Peru shouldn't be complicated.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I booked a room at Hotel Sol in Ollantaytambo, they helped me getting the tickets for 30 soles per ticket. I guess that's more than 10%. I am a bit desperate as I am using my isic card disc and wanting to buy the Huayna Picchu ticket too. Does anyone know if they check the card at the Machu Picchu entrance? I just want to make sure I carry the card with me.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
They normally double check the ISIC cards. First when buying the tickets and for the second time when entering. You shouldn't be able buy entrance to Wayna Picchu separately. It has to be bought when buying your ticket to Machu Picchu unless Ministry of Culture has changed their policies during the last 2 months. Anyway, Wayna Picchu tickets has to be bought ASAP, preferably 1-2 weeks before visiting, as they are soldout very often.

Last edited by miikkak; Aug 18, 2012 at 7:56 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by miikkak
They normally double check the ISIC cards. First when buying the tickets and for the second time when entering. You shouldn't be able buy entrance to Wayna Picchu separately. It has to be bought when buying your ticket to Machu Picchu unless Ministry of Culture has changed their policies during the last 2 months. Anyway, Wayna Picchu tickets has to be bought ASAP, preferably 1-2 weeks before visiting, as they are soldout very often.
Thank you! I managed to secure two tickets for MP and Wayna P by sending copies of our isic cards to this travel agent. ^
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
Just say this on the BBC website, which is the best I've seen on this subject: http://www.bbc.com/travel/blog/20120...r-machu-picchu
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by miikkak
If you want to visit Wayna Picchu, you should buy the tickets before arrival to Lima. On the other hand, if you are going see Machu Pichhu without climbing Wayna Picchu, buying tickets in Peru shouldn't be complicated.
I was going to Machu Picchu on my 2nd day / after only 1 night in Peru so that wasn't really an option even without Wayna Picchu.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
thanks for this, I ended up buying via the link in this thread to the tour operator who upcharges a bit..we wanted the 7 am wayna hike, so worth the extra $20 total to know we're confirmed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.