Search

Cable Car to be in Choquequirao

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:47 am
Ambassador: Peru
Original Poster

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Cable Car to be in Choquequirao

The Ecotourism Choquequirao consortium got the bid for pre-investment studies of the "cable car on the Apurimac valley" (aerial lift) that will rise to the complex of Choquequirao, Apurimac regional government reported.

I have not found previous threads about Choquequirao here. Sure because of the not enough touristic infraestructure yet. Choquequirao is a ruined Inca city in south Peru, similar in structure and architecture to Machu Picchu. The ruins are buildings and terraces at levels above and below Sunch'u Pata, the truncated hill top. Right now the only way to get there is by a two-day hike from outside Cusco, though I recently learned there are also roads from other towns, but always hiking is necessary. So right now it's a destiny more for adventure, trekking travelers.

It was found in 1710 but forgotten, and rediscovered in 1834. Hiram Bingham was there also. There are several sources with info about this place, including reviews in travelers websites, if you are interested.

Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: No preference
I would almost rather go here than MP. No tourists, (possibly) no stay restrictions, no nickel and dime-ing.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:25 am
Ambassador: Peru
Original Poster

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
No tourists, (possibly) .
I think you won't be alone but yes, far less people than Machu Picchu. It's like going to a non visited segment of the Great Wall.

Probably the most known way to get there is thru Cachora, a quiet town, and it's a 30 km trekking. No roads, no trains, but that's why that makes this place more misterious and lonely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.