Taxi from Cusco airport to Aguas Calientes/MP Pueblo

Subscribe
I am going to be arriving at Cusco airport too late to catch the morning trains to Macchu Picchu.

So, I'd like to try getting a taxi from the airport all the way to Aguas Calientes/Macchu Picchu Pueblo. I realize that I could take the train to Ollanto but I'd much rather go all the way to AC so that I can get an early bus to MP the following morning.

I've read some horror stories of people trying to get taxis from the airport (various bait & switch techniques etc). As I'll be travelling alone, I feel that much more subseptible to this sort of thing.

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting a reliable taxi? I've emailed the hotel I'll be staying at but they would probably charge an arm and a leg (and maybe a guinea pig..) to pick me up from the airport.

Thanks
I don't think you can get there by taxi.
IIRC, there is no road between Cusco and Agua Calientes. Train or helicopter are really your only 2 options. You can take a bus or taxi from Cusco to Ollantaytambo and catch the train there.

Sorry.
Quote: IIRC, there is no road between Cusco and Agua Calientes. Train or helicopter are really your only 2 options. You can take a bus or taxi from Cusco to Ollantaytambo and catch the train there.

Sorry.
I think by the time the OP takes a taxi to Ollantaytambo, the train will have already passed by (or it will be a very close connection). Why not spend a day in Cuzco, visit the city, and then thake the train the next day. IIRC, the train to MP leaves Cuzco at 7:00 am, so even when taking the earliest flight from LIM (assuming that is where the OP is flying from) cuts it too close.
There are multiple trains each day - just take a later one?
Quote: Why not spend a day in Cuzco, visit the city, and then thake the train the next day..
That's a wise advice. That's the usual schedule people do.

There are "horror" stories everywhere, from Cusco to Amsterdam. You just need to be careful. Of course it's easier for spanish speaking people, but Cusco is not that dangerous. If you feel afraid the best way is to reserve a hotel with transport from the airport (Casa Andina hotel, etc.). There are several agencies you can find at the web that offer secure transport.
Quote: I think by the time the OP takes a taxi to Ollantaytambo, the train will have already passed by (or it will be a very close connection). Why not spend a day in Cuzco, visit the city, and then thake the train the next day. IIRC, the train to MP leaves Cuzco at 7:00 am, so even when taking the earliest flight from LIM (assuming that is where the OP is flying from) cuts it too close.
There are more trains from Ollantaytambo to MP than from Cuzco. It does not need to be the same train that originates from Cuzco at all.
Thanks everyone. I want to go straight to MP in order to make the most use of my time there - I'll be spending time in Cusco on the way back. Also, it enables me to get used to the altitude at a lower level than Cusco.

So, I will have to figure out a way to get a taxi from the airport to Ollanta so that I can catch an evening train from Ollanta to MP Pueblo
OP - I've been planning a Peru trip, and I've learned that it's much quicker to taxi to Ollantaytambo and then take the train to AC/MP than to simply train from Cusco.

So, even if you don't want to do anything in/near Cusco on arrival, it may be worth your time to take a taxi...