Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Volaris Airline from Tijuana to Puerto Vallarta

Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue

I am planning going to Puerto Vallarta in April from here in San Diego. What do you all think i should do?

Option 1- Drive up to LAX and do the non-stop for about $400 roundtrip

Option 2- Have someone drop me off at the border of Tijuana and fly Volaris
non-stop to Puerto Vallarta for about $230 roundtrip.

I know Volaris is pretty new airline with a young a/c fleet averaging less than 3 years old. Anyone has any experience flying with them before?

Also i am asking for the feedback because i want to know if Volaris is a reliable source of transportation for the price i am paying on them.

And with all the drug cartel running crazy in Mexican border town, should i be worry flying from Tijuana or just a bit paranoid.?

Last edited by SDCA; Mar 11, 2009 at 1:21 am Reason: removed note
Old Mar 11, 2009, 1:11 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Depending on luggage, you can always take the SD Trolley down to the border and catch a cab on the other side.

I haven't heard anything bad about them yet, although the number of data points is small.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Palal
Depending on luggage, you can always take the SD Trolley down to the border and catch a cab on the other side.

I haven't heard anything bad about them yet, although the number of data points is small.
We are going to stay for a week so we probably just have 1 rollerbag each and a small carry on. We already have a ride to be dropped off at the border near the outlet mall.

Now my only concern is that with all of the drug cartel going rampant in Mexico, is it safe to even thinking about crossing the border to save a few hundred dollars on airfare? But for the price and time travelwise, it does sounds tempting.

Sorry if i sound paranoid.

I just read this headline today:

MEXICO CITY – Headless bodies in Tijuana, kidnapped children in Phoenix and shootouts on the streets of Vancouver: These are the unwanted byproducts of progress in the Mexican drug war.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 5:55 am

I am very familiar with both Volaris and the Tijuana border. Just cross and take one of the waiting taxis directly to the airport. I have also heard that there is shuttle service from the Santa Fe station in downtown SD which also runs to the TJ airport but have no experience with that.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 9:06 am

I know nothing about either city, but a guy told me he loves both WN & Volaris and was excited when he heard about the upcomming partnership. He said he flies to SAN and takes a shuttle to the Tijuna airport, I think he said Volaris has it's own shuttle? On their web site, at the bottom it says shuttle http://www.terraris.com.mx/
Tijuana/San Diego, CA. - $200 MXP (about $15 USD). Downtown San Diego, CA. - Tijuana Airport and Tijuana Airport - San Ysidro border $135 MXP (about $12 USD).

All our routes apply for transportation to and from the above mentioned locations. The price shown is per segment per customer. Transportation from Toluca Santa Fe is free. Please show your Volaris paid ticket and boarding pass to board the Volaris Shuttle Service.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 9:21 am

A very close friend of mine is a FA for another major US Carrier and she's from Mexico. She's dating a guy in GDL and she frequently takes Volaris to see him. She really enjoys flying on them and thinks very highly of them, she says their customers really seem to enjoy them as well.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Just booked on Volaris from San Diego

Well folks. I have just booked a roundtrip on Volaris out of Tijuana nonstop to Puerto Vallarta for only $252 roundtrip total.

I am leaving on April 13th and returning on April 20th.

Will give you a report of my experience on Volaris and see how they will handle the codeshare with Southwest.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: SWA RR
I was in San Diego Monday and I did indeed see the Volaris shuttle bus at the Santa Fe Station. The San Diego city bus Rt. 992 runs from the airport to the Santa Fe Station and it takes approximately 15 minutes.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 3:50 pm

I'm looking at flying TIJ-PVR via Volaris and saw this can be booked at southwest.com. Does anyone know if in doing so:

1) My credit card will be charged in USD or MXN?

2) Will I get 2 SWA RR points/Dollar for booking this ticket using a Chase SW Visa?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.