Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

2I / Star Peru / Star Perú / StarPerú

StarPerú / Star Perú (2I / SRU), formerly Star Up, (Servicio de Transporte Aéreo Regional is the registered business name, hence "Star"), was formed in 1997 by CEO Valentin Kasyanov with an Antonov C-32, expanding to use other Antonov (C-32, C-24 and C-26) and a Boeing 737-200 at different times. They expanded from charter to today's scheduled and chartered services, serving several airports in Perú.

Call centre: (511) 705-9000

Web: http://www.starperu.com/en/index.html

Offices:

Main office: Av. Com Andante Espinar 331, Miraflores

LIM Airport: Aeropuerto Internacional Jorge Chávez, 1er. Piso

Office Miraflores: Av.José Pardo 485 – Miraflores

Others, see website.

Current fleet (May 2015) consists of:

Code:
Aircraft	Registration	Passengers	Notes
BAe 146-100	OB-1877-P	77	
BAe 146-100	OB-1879-P	78	
BAe 146-200	OB-1885-P	92	
BAe 146-200	OB-1930-P	92	
BAe 146-200	OB-1943-P	84	
BAe 146-200	OB-1948-P	86	
BAe 146-200	OB-1964-P	92	
BAe 146-200QT	OB-1978-P	0	Cargo
BAe 146-300	OB-1914-P	112	
BAe 146-300	OB-1923-P	112
Policies:

Hand luggage policy: Passengers can carry 1 piece of hand luggage, provided that it does not exceed 4kg / 8.8 lb in weight and is no more than 40cm x 35cm x 20cm (H-W-D)

checked baggage policy: The baggage allowance for each passenger is 25 kg, distributed between a maximum of 2 items of luggage for each passenger. Baggage items must not exceed the following dimensions: 75 cm high, 45 cm long, 35 cm wide, or 155 linear centimeters.

Excess baggage policy: Any baggage amount that exceeds the maximum baggage allowance permitted is considered baggage excess. It can be ultimately transported prior payment of USD$1.77 (sales tax incl.) per each extra kilo / 2.2 lb.

Customer service

Inquiries
  • If you have a question or inquiry related to our services, please contact us at [email protected]
  • If you wish to request estimates and/or change the ticket information, please contact us at: [email protected]
  • For information related to our cargo service, please contact us at: [email protected]
Complaints:

If you wish to file a complaint about our products or services, please use any of the following channels:
Please be aware that in order to provide a quick solution to your problem we need the following information:
  • Full name
  • Telephone number
  • Flight information
  • Details of the complaint
  • E-mail address
  • Booking code
*In case of inquiries related to Star Peru Cargo, please include the CPA number.

Special services: (Disabilities, etc.)

Frequent Flyer Program and Alliane:

StarPass - no information available, 2I web link does not work (Jun 2015)

Alliance: none

Wikipedia, StarPerú and other public sources. Updated 17 June 2015.

Print Wikipost

2I / StarPeru / Star Peru Airlines

Old Apr 25, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Starperu: Some advice needed...

Hi there,

I had a recent unpleasant experience with Starperu and need some
thoughts/advice on what I should have done and what I can do to
resolve this situation ?

I booked 4 RT tickets on Starperu (LIM->CUZ->LIM). This was done
around four months back for a flight this April, 2011. I was prompted
to pay @ $120 out of $530 which I did on the website. I got a PDF
indicating ticket numbers and confirmation for my flights. The flights
were for leaving Lima on Monday AM and returning Friday AM to Lima.
I was supposed to pay the remaining at airport.

To my surprise when I logged on to check online on Sunday night before
the flight, my outbound flight was changed to Wednesday but
inbound kept on Thursday. This left me with 1 day of time in Cuzco.
This was totally unacceptible.

I called the local Lima number for Starperu. The agent on the other
end apologized and told me that they are not flying any planes
to Cuzco on Monday. She suggested returning my money for a full
refund. She also suggested finding tickets on other airlines. She would
not put me on another airline. I requested another routing if
available and she did not have any availabilty.

I panicked and started looking for tickets to Cuzco. Found LanPeru
tickets for $300 per person (one way) and $600 RT. I decided to
bite the bullet and buy one way tickets to save the vacation for my
family. I still wanted to keep my return leg on Starperu.

On Tuesday (after reaching Cuzco), I went to local Starperu office
and to my surprise again the local staff told me that flights
came in OK on Monday. This means that I was lied to by the call
center and made to buy some expensive tickets. This sounded like
stealing and dishonest behaviour.

The local office was able to cut the fare in half and preserving
my return flights. The return was uneventful but left me with
almost $1000 of excess fare on the outbound. (local staff in
Cuzco was very friendly and helped a lot)

Should I have done something else ? What can I do to recover some
of this money ? I plan to write a letter to the CEO of Starperu if that
can help. Any suggestions ? The ticket was issued in the US, does the
small claims court have any jurisdiction ? What is the authority in Peru
that monitors business practises of airlines ? I think Starperu sold my
cheap seats for higher fare to others leaving me with a large bill. I
do want to contest it...

Looking for some ideas...Thanks !
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:51 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Sorry to say that I don't fancy your chances, whereas the EU and the US has compensation schemes for when you get bumped and cancelled, Peru has no such schemes.

I know someone that flew to Arequipa from Lima and their return flight was cancelled due to weather so LAN returned them on a 28 hour bus ride.

LAN has pretty comprehensive Ts and Cs on its website, Peru is a signatory to the Montreal Convention etc. but that only applies to international carriage. Star Peru has virtually non existent Ts and Cs here
https://sslzone.starperu.com/2icond_comp_en.php

I think your only chance is to appeal to the company itself, but then I doubt they will be minded to refund your purchase on a different airline and presume that they will assume that their liability to you ended when they offered you a full refund.

I don't know if there is any contract law applicable in Peru whereby you could argue that you had a contract with Star Peru and they reneged on that contract despite your being able to demonstrate that your flight actually arrived. I suppose that you could argue for compensation for damages on that basis but Peruvian law is a world away from UK common law (the basis of which the USA shares)

Just be a nuisance, that's the only concrete advice in South America, took me 1 month to get my luggage back from LAN, and another 5 months to get compensated for it, but if you keep plugging away, find someone that cares and bother the hell out of them you could get results.

The irony is that they will probably compensate you with a Star Peru voucher
Old Apr 30, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Well, you asked, the answer is that actually Peru does have a fairly useful consumer protection agency, INDECOPI. You can use their website and they are responsive. Problem is, typically, the complaint form is a pig to fill out if you are external (you need to make up stuff to conform to the website form limitations). But perhaps the suggestion that you are planning to contact INDECOPI would be something you might consider mentioning. It will get people's attention.

I sympathize with the panic part... but always think FT first! it is not an atypical situation with any Peru airline, and folks here could have helped!
Old Apr 30, 2011, 4:50 pm

On second thought... your comment that they conspiratorially sold your ticket for more money... I hope that wasn't your attitude when dealing with the agents. They are always polite and helpful IMHO.

So, you panicked (your words) and bought an overpriced one-way LAN ticket. You now know had you not panicked your Monday Star flight was OK. But you did... I am not throwing stones here, it happens.

So why not take their offer of a full refund? Take the refund, buy Peruvian Air for much the same price and good to go, no? Seems like an appropriate offer. And you said they were accommodating in Cuzso, cut your tix 1/2 price. So why are you accusing them that they “sold my cheap seats for higher fare to others”?

And why did you buy one way tix? On LAN, last minute, Base Plus tix LIM-CUZ rtn cost $400. One way tix (FF only) $300. How did that make sense?

What do you expect from Star.. refund your expensive LAN tix? Others fly that route. Peruvian sells that route for $200 rtn.

So what do you want? Your tix cost $500, you refused the refund, they preserved the back end of your tix, gave you 1/2 price... what do you want from the CEO when he replies? You expect him to anti up for your expensive one-way LAN gringo tix? No. It sounds like Star did as much or more than any other airline in Peru, it was you that panicked. Sorry if I sound unsympathetic, but that accusation about selling your ticket for more money and that “this sounded like stealing and dishonest behaviour”...
Old Apr 30, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Some clarifications..

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
On second thought... your comment that they conspiratorially sold your ticket for more money... I hope that wasn't your attitude when dealing with the agents. They are always polite and helpful IMHO.

>>> Nope. I did not accuse them of that because when I talked
to them I fully believed them that the flights were not operating the
next day. I was frustrated at the incompetance of the airlines but
I did not smell any conspiracy at that point..

So, you panicked (your words) and bought an overpriced one-way LAN ticket. You now know had you not panicked your Monday Star flight was OK. But you did... I am not throwing stones here, it happens.

>>> Was there another option to get to Cuzco if I had to fly the next
day ? Please remember I was on vacation with my family, hotel bookings,
Paid excursions etc. etc.

So why not take their offer of a full refund? Take the refund, buy Peruvian Air for much the same price and good to go, no? Seems like an appropriate offer. And you said they were accommodating in Cuzso, cut your tix 1/2 price. So why are you accusing them that they “sold my cheap seats for higher fare to others”?

>>> I checked all airlines for tickets. Only LAN Peru had seats available
at that price. All other airlines showed NO AVAILABILITY. It is my guess
that they probably sold my seats to someone else. Since I did not fly
on the plane, someone else must have.

And why did you buy one way tix? On LAN, last minute, Base Plus tix LIM-CUZ rtn cost $400. One way tix (FF only) $300. How did that make sense?

>>> How do you know this ? I did the pricing for both OW and RT. RT
tickets were $600 each. So buying one way combined with return on
Starperu was still going to be cheaper. I was taking a chance on StarPeru
for my return. They could have done the same thing on return but thankfully
did not.

What do you expect from Star.. refund your expensive LAN tix? Others fly that route. Peruvian sells that route for $200 rtn.

>>> Again..this may be true with advanced purchase. Not for last minute
tickets. I did not find neither the seats nor the fares that you are talking
about. I am certain that you are throwing numbers that are averages
and not last minute purchases.

So what do you want? Your tix cost $500, you refused the refund, they preserved the back end of your tix, gave you 1/2 price... what do you want from the CEO when he replies? You expect him to anti up for your expensive one-way LAN gringo tix? No. It sounds like Star did as much or more than any other airline in Peru, it was you that panicked. Sorry if I sound unsympathetic, but that accusation about selling your ticket for more money and that “this sounded like stealing and dishonest behaviour”...
>>> This part I am not sure. Hence the post. It is a situation that
Starperu got me into at the last minute. Don't they have some responsibility?
I would consider this similar to "Involuntary bump" situation. Usually airlines
compensate passengers for this, don't they ? They should have in fact
accomodated me on another airline if they were cancelling the flight. But
they refused to do it. That is not a sign of fair play in my opinion. If the
planes really did not fly, I would be less inclined to go after them. But am
I out of line in calling them dishonest ? Why did they do what they did ?
That is what I am interested in knowing along with some responsibiity
for the situation...
Old May 1, 2011, 4:52 am

Yes, perhaps you are out of line calling them dishonest. Its a tough accusation without a stitch of proof IMO. Look, you wonder if they sold your cheaper tickets to someone else for a higher price, and conclude dishonest. Maybe they just sold to someone who paid for them upfront? You did not, you had a down payment on a reservation. You compare to another flight involuntary bump. But no, those fare rules say to be paid immediately or within x days. You didn't have a ticket to be bumped, you had a down payment reservation. They sold tix to people who paid for them in full, no? When there was no seat for you, they offered you one on next available. What else could they do? You did not like that, so they offered you a full refund of your deposit. You refused. Even so, they preserved the back end of the reservation for you even though most airlines would have cancelled the reservation since the originating flights were not taken and then charged you half a round trip rather than a one way fare. Do you think if you had paid in full for tix then it might have worked out better for you? Don't know your flying history, but when was the last time you didn't have to pay in full to get tix, even when it was 6 months away? So no, I cannot see any evidence of dishonesty, but I can see they did try to work it out for you as best they could.

WRT our LAN price discrepancies, unless you are on the Peru site, you will be quoted Flexible or higher hence you saw $600. On the Peru site they quote Base and Base Plus, so I see $400 in Base Plus. Some (residents jeje) pay Base at $120 rtn but you are correct, fares at this price would be limited last minute. But with a dozen flights a day, it would be very rare there would be no cheap seats available, especially in the rainy season.
Old May 3, 2011, 4:01 am

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
My only opinion on this would be.. that Star Peru did in fact proceed fairly correct and that what you claim is a bit far fetched.
As one that has flown the airline, I can say that Star Peru is a good alternative to LAN, but bare in mind, it's a low cost. I'm not really familiar with the laws involved here, but it's not fair to claim a refund for a leg (when flying with another airline).
As far as low-cost airlines are concerned, you shouldn't expect too much, that's why you pay less, you get "less".
service).
I can understand your anger "flyalways", but as "bingocallerb22" said, try to ask here before you act in cases where you're not sure how to proceed.
Cheers.

Last edited by 31dany; May 21, 2011 at 12:46 pm
Old May 30, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
LAN South American Pass is an excellent idea for 3 or more segments - inside Peru or throughout South America:
Cost $110 per leg (and a connection is 2 legs) if coming in on LAN (can't comment on other OW - many codeshare), but $140 per leg if not.

Also, the "despagar.com" or www.despagar.com domain is now "gone" / "squatted on" in that form, with a "traffic redirect" site in place --
Use the following links instead:
http://www.despagar.com.mx - It is really a Mexican site,
http://www.despagar.com.ar (an Argentinian version) OR
http://www.us.despagar.com (defaults to country of origin as USA at the top).
These all work correctly.

Internal Peru air travel:
Start here for a brief schedule overview: http://www.go2peru.com/flights_airlines_peru.htm

StarPeru
Peruvian Airlines
TACA -- availability on their website or consolidated travel websites may be inaccurate.
LANPeru -- expensive if you don't use the South American Pass.
and there is another small one for some small cities.

Last edited by flyzabit; May 30, 2011 at 9:23 am
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:05 pm

Star Peru worked great

Just to second what Adam South said, Star Peru was great last week in Peru. They were on time and had good service.

I like supporting the underdog too and wouldn't have been so nervous before if I knew that Star Peru was a decent airline.. Hopefully this helps.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
UPDATE to flyzabit's post of May 30, 2011: all the despagar sites now go to a redirect site.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Star Peru - fare classes; nested r/t's

What is the difference between "Regular", "Premium", "Premium Star" and "Star Golden" classes?

I see that "regular" tickets seem to be sold only on r/t itineraries. Does StarPeru allow nested ticketing, or will their computer void any nested tix?

thx
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Lima to Cuzco Star Peru

Hi there,

We will be traveling on 2 separate tickets arriving in LIM at 12,40pm and flying Star Peru on 3pm to Cuzco.
Is there enough time to get through immigration, customs and check in our bags with Star Peru?

Thank you
Old Jun 17, 2015, 4:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've merged the 2I threads, added a wiki, and will add information and trip reports after my trips on 2I next month.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We flew 2I 3115 LIM-TPP-IQT 12 July 2015 and 2I 3116 IQT-TPP -LIM 19 July.

Service was punctual, LCC plus. A light box lunch was served on one of the two legs, and each segment offered beverage service (2 juices, water, Inka Kola, Coca Cola, etc.)

Both flights offered 3x3 seating, 32" seat pitch, best seats 1-DEF with unlimited legroom (no exit rows on these aircraft). Baggage included one 25 kg / 55 lb bag, plus 1 4 kg / 9 lb carryon. The carryon limitation was talked up a lot, but I didn't see anyone intercepted for weight checking. Overhead bins are small, and the four bins under the wing root (this is a high wing aircraft) are very small - think RJ size. My backpack weighed more like 8 kg / 17 lbs, fit in the non-wing root bins; a full max US rollaboard would not fit. Underseat stowage is normal. See baggage limitations here.

Service down was on BAe 146-300 OB-1914-P (cn E3181) first flight 1990, flown by Thai Airways International, Jersey European, British European and FlyBe.

The return was on OB-1943-P, BAe / AVRO 146-200 cn 133, Air Nova, Air Canada Regional, Jazz Air.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 21, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.