Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ to GIG layover JFK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:11 am
Original Poster

YYZ to GIG layover JFK

Has anyone taken the relatively new route from YYZ to GIG with a 2 hour layover in JFK?

I had thought and heard that this is actually the same plane, so it just stops at JFK.

Can anyone confirm? I assume that would give me about an hour in JFK air port to hit a lounge airside or grab something to eat. If that's the case, any recommendations for a good/quick meal?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DanTravel
Has anyone taken the relatively new route from YYZ to GIG with a 2 hour layover in JFK?

I had thought and heard that this is actually the same plane, so it just stops at JFK.

Can anyone confirm? I assume that would give me about an hour in JFK air port to hit a lounge airside or grab something to eat. If that's the case, any recommendations for a good/quick meal?
Good question. I assume they will keep you in a sterile area (and I'm not talking airside in the terminal). You can't entire the US without clearing immigration and customs.

Which airline is this, btw?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
YYZ has Preclearance, so if all the pax go thru that, they are treated as domestic on arrival in the US.

I suspect it might be TAM using a 763
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Airline is TAM.

I imagine that I will be required to go through customs first in Toronto since it's going to JFK and you can buy a TAM ticket just to JFK. That means some passengers will be getting off at JFK whereas others will be staying on the flight until it gets to RIO.

2 hours is a long time to wait inside of a plane on a tarmac. I'd like to think that I can get of and wonder around and come back. I'm not sure what their rules are though.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by qfrodo
YYZ has Preclearance, so if all the pax go thru that, they are treated as domestic on arrival in the US.
That's not going to work. Unless they only sell tix to pax who hold a US visa. And that's totally not feasible.

I suspect this will be similar to what NZ does at LAX, which is hold the onward LHR/AKL pax in a sterile room.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not going to work. Unless they only sell tix to pax who hold a US visa. And that's totally not feasible.

I suspect this will be similar to what NZ does at LAX, which is hold the onward LHR/AKL pax in a sterile room.
That sounds terrible..
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why not call JJ and ask?

For what it's worth, they do sell singles YYZ-JFK for $38 (+taxes and fees exceeding that!)
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Why not call JJ and ask?

For what it's worth, they do sell singles YYZ-JFK for $38 (+taxes and fees exceeding that!)
I read an article indicating cheap singles, but I have not seen that in practice. A single return flight for the days I booked just YYZ to JFK (and not to RIO) is well over $500.

Any idea how and when to get the cheap fare?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member

Well, per some other posts in the thread, JJ can sell just the YYZ to JFK portion. This could present an interesting logistics problem in trying to separate those continuing from those arriving in JFK and ensuring that someone without a US visa does not deplane. Far as I know, the US doesn't have sterile areas anymore (they did at one point back in the 90s at some airports, IAD for example) and all passengers are required to clear at the first port of entry, be it JFK orYYZ.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat

I fly this regularly, and preclearance is required for all passengers. The flight goes to T8 at JFK and you can deplane just as you would if you were a domestic passenger. The flight attendants do not check if you're JFK or GIG-bound.

I read an article indicating cheap singles, but I have not seen that in practice. A single return flight for the days I booked just YYZ to JFK (and not to RIO) is well over $500.

Any idea how and when to get the cheap fare?
I've noticed the pricing is a bit erratic on this flight. $245 for YYZ-JFK rt most days in September, in Business

Last edited by JamilD; Sep 4, 2015 at 6:13 am
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamilD
I fly this regularly, and preclearance is required for all passengers. The flight goes to T8 at JFK and you can deplane just as you would if you were a domestic passenger. The flight attendants do not check if you're JFK or GIG-bound.

I've noticed the pricing is a bit erratic on this flight. $245 for YYZ-JFK rt most days in September, in Business
Thanks! Can you recommend a One-World, Priority ..., or Amex lounge nearby the gate airside that I can be in and out in a short time that also has hot food?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Can you recommend a One-World, Priority ..., or Amex lounge nearby the gate airside that I can be in and out in a short time that also has hot food?
The PR I read from TAM is that they are now offering extension to YYZ from their TAM flight to GRU.

So, this changes things a bit. I bet that the GRU flight is the same plane, but they also obviously offer the connection service to GIG.

I will have to confirm. I also bet if it was the same plane, that I couldn't leave my carry-on on the plane while I get off and back on.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by qfrodo
Well, per some other posts in the thread, JJ can sell just the YYZ to JFK portion. This could present an interesting logistics problem in trying to separate those continuing from those arriving in JFK and ensuring that someone without a US visa does not deplane. Far as I know, the US doesn't have sterile areas anymore (they did at one point back in the 90s at some airports, IAD for example) and all passengers are required to clear at the first port of entry, be it JFK orYYZ.
No logistics problems at all. It doesn't matter whether you are continuing from JFK or terminating there. Either way, there's no "transit" so you must be admitted to the US. As YYZ is a pre-clearance station, that occurs at YYZ. Arriving at YYZ, you are a domestic arrival and either continue as you would on any such flight or head off into the wild blue wonder of NYC.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by JamilD
Thanks for the correction.

That must limit their potential passengers.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Yea, you'll deplane. They wouldn't hold you that long. JJ is selling the YYZ-JFK portion as others have said. According to the JFK wiki, it'll be at Terminal 8, so you should have enough time to grab whatever in that terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.