AeroMexico Upgrade to Premier Class?

Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:15 am
Original Poster

AeroMexico Upgrade to Premier Class?

I purchased airfare from YYZ-MEX-BJX-ZIH-MEX-YYZ back in April for the crazy-low price of $408 per person. I just engaged in an online chat with AM to inquire about upgrading to Premier Class for our return flight, since it's an overnight. I was very surprised to learn that the upgrade is only $220 per person, so now I am thinking of upgrading the outbound flight too.

I have just finished reading some reviews and trip reports here, and it looks like the AeroMexico Business Class experience is not very highly regarded to say the least. But still, it would have to be worth $220, wouldn't it?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mykel67

I have just finished reading some reviews and trip reports here, and it looks like the AeroMexico Business Class experience is not very highly regarded to say the least. But still, it would have to be worth $220, wouldn't it?
If just to eat out of the salad bowls.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Haha! Yours is one of the trip reports I read. I have to admit, I am curious to see what these exceptional salad bowls look like.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Generally, I'd say if it's on a 737 or RJ (as your flights will be), then it's not really worth it for those recliner seats. However, since this is an overnight flight, then I'd be tempted to take it, just so it would be easier to sleep for a few hours.

FYI, if you don't upgrade, I would splurge $30 for a daypass to their Salon Premier lounge at MEX. If you have a couple hours between flights, I think it's worth it.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

I agree--the seats and 'cabin' don't look like anything special. If it weren't for the overnight flight I would have just stuck it out in coach. I just tried making a new booking, and a Premier Clase fare for our dates is over $2400. I don't understand why the upgrade was only $440 (round trip--I upgraded both directions).
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
At least the 738 seats have legrests, and the pitch and recline seemed better than on domestic US carriers' 738s.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by DarrenChannel

FYI, if you don't upgrade, I would splurge $30 for a daypass to their Salon Premier lounge at MEX. If you have a couple hours between flights, I think it's worth it.
If I upgrade on my Aeromexico flight MEX-DFW would I automatically get Salon access?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
If I upgrade on my Aeromexico flight MEX-DFW would I automatically get Salon access?
Unless their policy on this has changed in the past year, then yes, you should. When I upgraded a domestic AM ticket last year, lounge access was included.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, DL GM, AS MVP75K
No Optiontown for AM/Aeromexico

It may be that AM is now essentially doing on their own what Optiontown used to do when it comes to upgrades??

While you'd never know it from looking at the Optiontown website [they still list AM as a featured partner] they don't actually have anything to do with AM.

The man who answered the phone said they "don't do upgrades at this time...but we are partner with AM." When I asked what that meant - and what services they had with AM - he asked why I would want to know, and then admitted they do nothing with AM.

When I asked why they still featured AM on their website, he said "that's an internal matter."

What a bunch of b.s.!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: KE MC Premium, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, AZ FA+, Melia Gold
Just had 4 flights on AM, all in Club Premier (J):

Mad-Mex 787
Mex-Lim 737
Eze-Mex 787
Mex-Mad 777

I was actually very impressed by the 787 product and service. The crew were friendly, in both Spanish and English, and the service was completed very quickly. I know some people are not fans of the starter and main coming together etc, but to be honest, it works well on these night flights as it maximises sleeping time. Dessert was lovely and served separately. Food was nothing to wrote home about but not bad either.

The 737 was also fine, comfortable recliner, and again,very good crew. The service was efficient and more even paced, despite the crew dealing with a medical issue.

The 777 on the other hand, extremely tired product, very noisy plane in comparison, and just smacked of "couldn't be bothered". Some of the crew were great, others looked like they'd rather be anywhere else. I would avoid 777 AM flights in future.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:19 am
sw3
Used to be 'etrevino'

Programs: AA, BA, AM Plat, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DarrenChannel
Unless their policy on this has changed in the past year, then yes, you should. When I upgraded a domestic AM ticket last year, lounge access was included.
Yes, every passenger who has a boarding pass flying clase premier has access to AM lounges, it doesn't matter if the ticket was purchased in J cabin or if it was a paid or complimentary upgrade.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:29 pm

------

Last edited by savekenny; Aug 14, 2015 at 10:03 pm
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by beyond
It may be that AM is now essentially doing on their own what Optiontown used to do when it comes to upgrades??

While you'd never know it from looking at the Optiontown website [they still list AM as a featured partner] they don't actually have anything to do with AM.

The man who answered the phone said they "don't do upgrades at this time...but we are partner with AM." When I asked what that meant - and what services they had with AM - he asked why I would want to know, and then admitted they do nothing with AM.

When I asked why they still featured AM on their website, he said "that's an internal matter."

What a bunch of b.s.!
I got three emails in spanish trying to get me to buy in

MEX-GRU was $600 US approx as was GRU-MEX

LAX-MEX was roughly $90 US

I called up AM to chance my arm on a complimentary upgrade as I've heard sometimes they will process over the phone and hey presto.... LAX-MEX and GRU-MEX-LAX in Premier Class for free

The MEX-LAX is on a 787 so I'm looking forward to that
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Just got home from our 3-week trip. I ended up paying to upgrade all of our flights to Clase Premier. It was definitely an experience more akin to premium economy. We were not impressed with the condition of the planes, the service, and the lack of onboard entertainment. That being said, I am still glad we purchased the upgrades for the lounge access and luggage allotment (our bags were very heavy), and to have the larger seats for our return overnight flight. Least amount of legroom we have ever had in business/first class though!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: DL ✈️
Originally Posted by PaddyOTG
I called up AM to chance my arm on a complimentary upgrade as I've heard sometimes they will process over the phone and hey presto.... LAX-MEX and GRU-MEX-LAX in Premier Class for free
Because of DL status? (DM ? PM ?)

Originally Posted by mykel67
Just got home from our 3-week trip. I ended up paying to upgrade all of our flights to Clase Premier. It was definitely an experience more akin to premium economy. We were not impressed with the condition of the planes, the service, and the lack of onboard entertainment. That being said, I am still glad we purchased the upgrades for the lounge access and luggage allotment (our bags were very heavy), and to have the larger seats for our return overnight flight. Least amount of legroom we have ever had in business/first class though!
Did you bid or was it a purchase on checkin? Did you get J miles bonuses, or original ticket ones?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.