Community
Wiki Posts
Search

38 mins connection in PTY

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

38 mins connection in PTY

I'm flying EWR to UIO via Panama City-PTY. The entire journey is operated by Copa Airlines. Will 38 mins, as stated on the ticket, be enough for a connection? What happens if my first flight arrives late?

Thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
PTY is a fairly easy airport at which to connect. In the event you are late - If your connection flight is on the same single ticket and it' is a valid connecting time then the operating airline is responsible to re-book you to your final destination.

If on the other hand you booked each flight seperately on unrelated tickets you will most likely be on your own to figure out and pay for re-booking.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'd be okay with that short a connection, it really is a small terminal with easy walks to all the gates. You're also not missing anything by not seeing the Copa lounge
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
If you were flying EWR-PTY on COPA metal, I would have said that it's likely that you would be in good shape. However, since you are flying UA metal, there's a good chance you will be late. The last 5 flights I've flown on UA to PTY, either from EWR or IAH have been significantly delayed (one hour or more). Fortunately for me, in all of those cases I had long layovers scheduled at PTY.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
As far as I can read, it is operated by CM. In that case 38 mins is enough, although I wouldnt spend too much time shopping in PTY. CM are known for closing their flights very early, so you will have to go straight to your gate, and it can be a bit of a walk, if you arrive at the new Gate 1-10 area and leave from gate 30-something.

However, the whole CM operation is built around swift transfers in PTY, and I'm sure you will have co-passengers with equally short connections.

I wouldnt worry too much. Never missed a connection in PTY and I connect there very often.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Milkman
As far as I can read, it is operated by CM.
Nope. CM doesn't fly to EWR. Coolcoil knows that, thus his response. There's no one on these boards more knowledgeable about flying COPA.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Nope. CM doesn't fly to EWR. Coolcoil knows that, thus his response. There's no one on these boards more knowledgeable about flying COPA.
OP wrote the entire journey was operated by Copa. Hence my comment.

Last edited by Milkman; Sep 29, 2014 at 8:17 pm
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Milkman
OP wrote the entire journey was operated by Copa. Hence my comment.
Yes, I can read

It would have taken about 60 seconds of research to determine that CM doesn't operate at EWR.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, *wood Gold
Just did a connection in PTY on Wednesday and Sunday of last week with similar time frames. Not a problem but I was on COPA flights for the entire trip.

In terms of connection distances, we arrived at gate 2 and departed from gate 33. Definitely a good distance but manageable if you bypass all of the shops.

But make sure you are at the gate early, COPA seemed to start boarding 45 minutes before most flights and either pushed back early or exactly on-time. Out of the four segments we did on COPA 3 pushed back 10 minutes early.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:13 am

Yes, I can read

It would have taken about 60 seconds of research to determine that CM doesn't operate at EWR.
So you fact check on everything written on this board before you comment? I tend to trust people enough to believe they know with whom they fly. In this case it was a miss.

I deelpy apologize for wasting your time and spamming the forum with incorrect or irrelevant information. I would have said that it wont happen again. But guess what, I'm only human.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Kacee, thanks for the kind words. I think that you and KenInEscazu are just as prolific and valuable contributors. I have flown CM a lot, but the vast majority is MDE-PTY-East Coast USA with some intra-Colombia thrown in. I have to stay silent when people ask about deep South American and Central American destinations. Frankly, I've been flying AA a lot lately since their pricing has been much better than CM and the premium lounge in MIA is great.

As for the OP saying that the flights are CM operated, well I missed that or I would have explained that they don't fly from EWR. COPA does tell you that the flight is UA operated, but they don't make it obvious and it's easy to miss.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Are we required to pick up and re-check checked baggage when flying through PTY... or is our luggage checked all the way through? I am on one Copa ticket (ASU-PTY-MDE).
Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Are we required to pick up and re-check checked baggage when flying through PTY... or is our luggage checked all the way through? I am on one Copa ticket (ASU-PTY-MDE).
They should check your bags through. You don't have to clear anything (immigration, customs, or security) on an international transfer at PTY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.