Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with compensation from Allegiant?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Experience with compensation from Allegiant?

New to the forum and hoping someone can help me out.

I recently had an Allegiant flight 863, 12-9-12 6:45 P.M., CID to PIE...or so I thought...

I'll try to keep it short. Checked in online, saw flight was delayed 2 hours, checked bags at Allegiant counter at CID and was advised by agent that flight delayed due to mechanical problem with aircraft.

Ended up taking off at 10:15 P.M., flew to PIE. Pilot attempted to land and aborted just before touchdown at PIE due to fog.

Rerouted over to SFB (Orlando). Landed there, sat on plane while they figured out what to do. Deplaned and was told by agent there that since we were "Weather advised" in Cedar Rapids, we were on our own, have a nice day.

Near mob scene in the terminal with all the individuals on the flight screaming. Eventually, Allegiant put us in hotel at 5 A.M. Flew over to PIE the next day at 1:45 P.M. EST.

So, my question is, has anyone ever dealt with Allegiant on compensation? Despite the agent in SFB stating we were weather advised, that is NOT the case. We never were.

Now, we couldn't land in PIE due to weather but it was because in the 3 1/2 hours from the time we were scheduled to land and the time we attempted, it had become foggy.

I've emailed Allegiant's customer relations but got an auto response that it will be 4-6 weeks before they respond. Is there a better way?

I am out one day $$ for the condo rental and the rental car not to mention I lost over a day of my vacation.

Any thoughts or tips as I'm not a frequent flyer. I just know that from my previous experiences on other airlines that mechanical failures were provided compensation and weather related were not.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Sorry, but you are entitled to nothing and it's not likely that Allegiant will pony up anything as a matter of CS.

2. Your delay was due to WX. It's speculation to suggest that the landing would have been possible at PIE earlier. Even if your speculation is the case, you can't piggy back delay reasons.

3. WX delays get you nothing. But, Allegiant at least put you up in a hotel and ferried you over to PIE.

3. The COC expressly excludes compensatory damages (even real airlines exclude these damages) such as lost prepaid nights and the like. Imagine if you were in sales and lost a $1 Million sale commission.

My only question would be that given that it's just over a 90-min drive from MCO to PIE, why not hop in a rental and make the drive rather than waiting for a hotel and then a wait for a 10-minute flight? You would arrived late & tired, but ready to go in the AM and lost a whole lot less time.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

I understand your response and I appreciate the reply and knowledge. I guess it isn't speculation, though, if aircraft were landing at PIE at 10:15 P.M. EST (Our scheduled arrival time)...which they were. I don't think of it as piggybacking delays because they had a mechanical delay which caused us not to be able to land in PIE which caused all the subsequent issues.

I forgot to mention that when we landed in SFB the flight attendant asked me whether we were "weather advised" in CID...to which I replied no.

So I guess that is my whole frustration with the situation. Not to mention, why board and fly down to PIE if they knew weather was an issue there?

To answer your question about driving, the airport, transportation and everything were closed at the time of our arrival and did not open until late morning. SFB is a very small airport.

I understand weather related delays or cancellations are not the responsibility of the airline but we were not weather advised and the whole situation (from taking off, aborting landing, etc, etc) was so mishandled.

Point taken as far as compensation for prepaid lodging, etc. Perhaps, a voucher or something might be offered.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:29 am

Agree with the above that you are very unlikely to get anything from Allegiant. Best to just take your lumps and move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.