Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAM extra bag question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:50 am
Original Poster

TAM extra bag question

hi i saw tam has rules clearly written for overweight baggage .05% of y class per kilo, does anyone know how much a 3rd bag would cost (up to 70lbs i guess)?
do they have a set price for a third bag or is it the same fee situation? thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: G3 - Diamond / A3 - Gold / AD - Sapphire
Hi,

The 3rd luggage in Brazilian airlines is charged by kilo. We don't have special fares for luggage piece.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

thanks so much!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
If it's a piece-concept trip (USA-Brazil/onward or reverse), it is $150USD.
I know that firsthand.

Also TAM has a ridiculously low 5kg carryon weight limit and if you are not Brazilian they will insist on weighing your carryons. Then send you across the concourse to buy another suitcase and come back to pay a $150 3rd bag fee. Which you have to go to the "TAM Store" counter elsewhere in the airport to pay before you can get your boarding pass.

Oh, and they will do this only after they have already taken your two checked bags so that when you discover that your light carryon is overweight, it is too late to put things into your existing bag.

Once you board, you will get slammed in the shoulder and head by Brazilians with huge, heavy, multiple carryons. The nice-but-useless flight attendants will do nothing but give some meaningless words of sympathy.

Exact recent personal experience.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by MarkXS
If it's a piece-concept trip (USA-Brazil/onward or reverse), it is $150USD.
I know that firsthand.

Also TAM has a ridiculously low 5kg carryon weight limit and if you are not Brazilian they will insist on weighing your carryons. Then send you across the concourse to buy another suitcase and come back to pay a $150 3rd bag fee. Which you have to go to the "TAM Store" counter elsewhere in the airport to pay before you can get your boarding pass.

Oh, and they will do this only after they have already taken your two checked bags so that when you discover that your light carryon is overweight, it is too late to put things into your existing bag.

Once you board, you will get slammed in the shoulder and head by Brazilians with huge, heavy, multiple carryons. The nice-but-useless flight attendants will do nothing but give some meaningless words of sympathy.

Exact recent personal experience.
I'm American and fly a fair amount on TAM (alone and with my wife) and have never had any of this happen other than the low luggage weight limits on both carry-on and checked (ditto for Gol, etc.). I have never had anyone ask to weigh my carry-on bags. In fact, the people at the counter may not even see them, and when they do have not paid much attention to them. As with other airlines, I assume this could vary from person to person. I don't regard TAM, or other airlines, organized enough to carry out a regular policy of bag weight discrimination on a consistent basis. The baggage limits are stated on their Web site. Your limits are, ofcourse, higher if the flight is part of an international itinerary, but sometimes you have to emphasize this, and show the entire itinerary to them. TAM sells emergency row seats for an extra fee.

I'd regard service on TAM about the same as Gol (other major airline in the country). Used to get meals, then sandwiches, now maybe chips and crackers.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
I believe it is an ANAC policy that sets the 5KG limit, not the individual airlines. My experience, mostly with TAM is that it depends on the airport and/or the individual gate agents. Lately, I check in online and print out the boarding document and avoid the gate area completely.
Old May 1, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Primier Gold, DL nada, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum
5kg was loosely enforced MCO-GRU last week. Required to get it to less than 8kg but allowed to put extra weight into my checked bag that had already been weighed before it was sent down. Also was told when I called in that 62 linear inches is the max for the regular extrabaggage piece and if it is greater than that (but less than the total max 115 linear inches) a "Second length fee" could be assessed for a total of $300/piece. I was at 64 in on my 4th and 5th pieces but was only charged $300 total (150/extra box)
Old May 1, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: G3 - Diamond / A3 - Gold / AD - Sapphire
Originally Posted by qfrodo
I believe it is an ANAC policy that sets the 5KG limit, not the individual airlines. My experience, mostly with TAM is that it depends on the airport and/or the individual gate agents. Lately, I check in online and print out the boarding document and avoid the gate area completely.
Yes qfrodo, the 5kg carry-on luggage is a ridiculous ANAC policy.

Originally Posted by elf618
5kg was loosely enforced MCO-GRU last week. Required to get it to less than 8kg but allowed to put extra weight into my checked bag that had already been weighed before it was sent down. Also was told when I called in that 62 linear inches is the max for the regular extrabaggage piece and if it is greater than that (but less than the total max 115 linear inches) a "Second length fee" could be assessed for a total of $300/piece. I was at 64 in on my 4th and 5th pieces but was only charged $300 total (150/extra box)
I take some international flights in TAM and don't have problems. Last year, the major airlines (TAM, GOL and Azul) reinforce ANAC's carry-on luggage policy.

I have a lot of problems with Azul. They install carry-on balance in some airports, near to the gate area. So, after a few flights they catch me with 5,5kg and denied my boarding . After this day, I canceled my next reservations (near to 10 reservations) and don't have any pretension for this airline for the next years.

If you look worldwide, the Brazilian policy is ridiculous...
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:12 am

Programs: BMI Diamon Club
I'm looking at buying a one way SDU-AJU flight and the "Light" fare is looking very cheap indeed.

However, I'll most likely need to check 2 bags in (1 know you get 1 for free). I'm not clear on how much an extra bag costs? Percentages

Wondering if I should buy the "light" fare and pay for the extra bag, or go for a more expensive fare that includes extra baggage.

The "flex" fare says "23kg + 10kg". What does that mean? A second bag at 10kg? Or the carry on baggage limit is increased to 10kg?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.