*G lounge at GIG?

Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
*G lounge at GIG?

I am arriving on JJ8055 in economy at 4.40 in the morning. I am *G (Eurobonus). I have 4+ hours overlay, departing on JJ3198 to SSA . Is there any chance of lounge access, or am I screwed?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
I think you are screwed.
JJ has domestic lounges only at SDU and CWB. There used to be a lounge landside in GRU, but I believe that is closed.
On your return journey (if you are flying via GIG, there is a decent TAM lounge in the basement).
But a big slice of your 4+ hours might be spent waiting at the immigration...
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jefi99
I think you are screwed.
JJ has domestic lounges only at SDU and CWB. There used to be a lounge landside in GRU, but I believe that is closed.
On your return journey (if you are flying via GIG, there is a decent TAM lounge in the basement).
But a big slice of your 4+ hours might be spent waiting at the immigration...
Is the immigration that bad? And if I have an hour or more to spare, where should I go? Need a place when one can unwind, perhaps read or work on my laptop ... a lounge ideally, but a good coffee place with soft music would be OK. I can also pay access to a Diners or Eurocard lounge, but these are normally not worth the money ?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by wazow
Is the immigration that bad? And if I have an hour or more to spare, where should I go? Need a place when one can unwind, perhaps read or work on my laptop ... a lounge ideally, but a good coffee place with soft music would be OK. I can also pay access to a Diners or Eurocard lounge, but these are normally not worth the money ?
Immigration can be anything from 5-120 minutes. If you are last off a flight, and your flight just arrived after the other morning flights from JFK, LHR, LIM, CDG, MIA, PTY etc, and there are just two or three Policia Federal officers on duty, then it can take forever. But GIG is usually better than GRU.

There are several coffee shops and restaurants landside, and also an internet caf, but can't honestly remember what the domestic airside area in GIG is like (I prefer to fly domestic from SDU).
Maybe you are better off going to spend the waiting time landside? That will also give you the opportunity to get some fresh air?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:46 am

Yes, you'll be outside security after you go through Immigration, get your bags (shop at the duty free store, if you like, even upon arriving, not just departing, on international flights), go through Customs, then go upstairs with your bags to check-in for your TAM flight. You'll go through security for domestic flights, and won't likely have access to any lounges, unless you find one, such as the American Express Centurion Club, outside security (it's down the hall from the Luxor Hotel in Terminal 1; TAM's in Terminal 2). Food court outside security in Terminal 1 is okay but overpriced. We found the restaurant in the Luxor Hotel (next to the food court) better. Or just go to your gate and grab a coffee or such in that area. Can't recall where there are WiFi hot spots in the airport other than in the lounges. Your wait won't be super long. We've usually gone to the Am Ex club (gold card or higher required; it is more basic than most airline lounges I've been in). I think there are a couple of other clubs, such as Diners Club (?), outside security.

Fresh air around the airport?? Really? There is an observation platform, but not much to see if you're already going to be at a departure gate.

As noted, when you depart, assuming SAA departs from Terminal 2 (like United), you should be able to use the consolidted VIP lounge, used by departing international passengers of a number of airlines (if one is flying biz/first or otherwise has access). We used it when departing on US Airways. A few snacks, showers, and comfortable chairs. It's downstairs from the main departure area (once in the gate area, walk to the left to the small duty free store and then go down the stairs). It's next to a TAM "Gold" lounge.

Last edited by SoCal; Aug 29, 2012 at 11:02 am
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by SoCal
As noted, when you depart, assuming SAA departs from Terminal 2 (like United), you should be able to use the consolidted VIP lounge, used by departing international passengers of a number of airlines (if one is flying biz/first or otherwise has access). We used it when departing on US Airways. A few snacks, showers, and comfortable chairs. It's downstairs from the main departure area (once in the gate area, walk to the left to the small duty free store and then go down the stairs). It's next to a TAM "Gold" lounge.
Was there Monday evening, 8/27, and the TAM lounge in Terminal 2 was closed. UA had their sign back up on the SMILES VIP Lounge.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by qfrodo
Was there Monday evening, 8/27, and the TAM lounge in Terminal 2 was closed. UA had their sign back up on the SMILES VIP Lounge.
Yes, TAM lost the bid to renew the contract on its lounge.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:29 am
Original Poster

I should have checked before booking. I could not imagine that an important airport could be such a trap. Fortunately I am going back over GRU, so the lounge closure should not hit me.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by C010T3
Yes, TAM lost the bid to renew the contract on its lounge.
VIP lounge (I thought it was just called Smiles when Varig was operating it alone) is good. Unlike, say, the United lounge at GRU, it has showers. Just for departing passengrs, however. Saw the TAM Gold lounge next door and it didn't look any nicer.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by wazow
I should have checked before booking. I could not imagine that an important airport could be such a trap. Fortunately I am going back over GRU, so the lounge closure should not hit me.
Don't feel bad: as far as I know, you would have encountered exactly the same situation at GRU if arriving there. I don't know of any airline lounges outside security at GRU, either, but I could be wrong. We have used the United and Admirals (AA) clubs when departing on international flights from GRU, but upon arrival, once past Immigration and Customs (to connect to a domestic flight), could only use the Am Ex Centurion Club. Just like at GIG. The TAM Gold lounge at Terminal 2 of GIG was inside security (unless there were two), so even if it were still open you couldn't use it upon arrival. Hope that *G (Eurobonus). whatever that is, gets you into a good club at GRU. Neither GRU nor GIG is particuarly pleasant.

Last edited by SoCal; Aug 30, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.