Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit says "Lower fares generally available at the airport."

Spirit says "Lower fares generally available at the airport."

Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:52 pm

I've bought international flights at the counter without a passport.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by wcalvert
I had that happen once (being asked to wait). They relented when they saw that I had all of the info typed out (was for 3 passengers on the same flight).

I mean, I had just waited in line for 20 minutes too.
Oh, there was no one in line when I walked up, but this was about T-90 mins for the LAS flight. As it was, it was almost 7 by the time I had everything I needed and walked away, so I don't think it would have been the end of the world if I'd had to wait until then to start ticketing, with the time I spent waiting while the TA helped passengers.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
First time Spirit flyer here. Went to the airport in Orlando (MCO) today and bought four one-way tickets MCO-MSP for Christmas Eve. The online price was $88 per person all inclusive, but in person it was $65, for a savings of $23 per person or $92 overall. Flying four people to the Midwest for Christmas for $260 one way is not a bad deal.

I did not think to ask for seat assignments and they were not offered. The Spirit agent could not have been nicer or more efficient - I think we were done in five minutes, despite me booking four tickets and paying cash. She acted like people plunk down 13 $20 bills in front of her every day. It was technically $260.40 and I gave her $261 - she had 60 cents back to me immediately. I expected a help desk call.

I got into line just at the right time - about a dozen families traveling same day queued up behind me. I was in and out in an hour. Airport parking is $2.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread. It gave me the confidence to make the trip to the airport (30 min each way) and try my luck.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by flavorflav
First time Spirit flyer here. Went to the airport in Orlando (MCO) today and bought four one-way tickets MCO-MSP for Christmas Eve. The online price was $88 per person all inclusive, but in person it was $65, for a savings of $23 per person or $92 overall. Flying four people to the Midwest for Christmas for $260 one way is not a bad deal.

I did not think to ask for seat assignments and they were not offered. The Spirit agent could not have been nicer or more efficient - I think we were done in five minutes, despite me booking four tickets and paying cash. She acted like people plunk down 13 $20 bills in front of her every day. It was technically $260.40 and I gave her $261 - she had 60 cents back to me immediately. I expected a help desk call.

I got into line just at the right time - about a dozen families traveling same day queued up behind me. I was in and out in an hour. Airport parking is $2.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread. It gave me the confidence to make the trip to the airport (30 min each way) and try my luck.
Really glad that worked out well!!! I'm rather shocked they actually had change haha.

And getting to the spirit desk at the right time is most of the battle in my mind.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:59 pm

Another data point:

Booked a triangle flight as a single itinerary and still got the $17.99/leg.

Did IAH-DTW-MSY-IAH with each flight on a different day and it priced out correctly. Very nice
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:25 pm

Flew Spirit for the first time today. I paid a visit to the DFW ticket counter last week while connecting at the airport and must have found them just before a big rush, since almost every desk was staffed yet there was nobody in line. I walked away 5 minutes later with my $16 ticket and a seat assignment

The flight itself was fine, 20 minutes late but the seat was comfortable enough for my relatively compact frame. There were some really goofy people seated around me on the plane, not sure if just luck or if it's standard fare for the ULCCs.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:40 pm

In regards to goofy people flying ULCC: I volunteer at IAH and frequently stationed in the baggage claim area near Spirit/Frontier's belt and can pick their flights out 100% of the time.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: WN RR, B6 TrueBlue, AA, NK
Originally Posted by wcalvert
In regards to goofy people flying ULCC: I volunteer at IAH and frequently stationed in the baggage claim area near Spirit/Frontier's belt and can pick their flights out 100% of the time.
Ditto on a similar experience... Was in the Duty free shop at PHL waiting for a flight to London and buying my usual things I would buy for my now ex partner when flying over to visit him, smokes, cosmetics for him, and some liquor. A Spirit passenger to Vegas attempted to buy some booze and was dumbfounded and shocked when asked to produce a passport and boarding pass for an international flight. I suspected she was a Spirit PAX before even seeing this going down.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:18 pm

I want to buy a flight for a friend from LGA-ORD, but he is nowhere near LGA as he goes to school at Yale. Can I go to ORD and do it for him? What information would they need?

(It sounds like I can but I want to make sure before I go all the way there.)
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by brettneese
I want to buy a flight for a friend from LGA-ORD, but he is nowhere near LGA as he goes to school at Yale. Can I go to ORD and do it for him? What information would they need?

You would need his full name as it appears on his ID and date of birth. Receipt they give you will have confirmation code. The code is all he would need to go online to check in and print his boarding pass.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
General question: can one apply an emailed promo code on a ticket purchased at the airport? I'm guessing not, but figured this would be the place to ask.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
General question: can one apply an emailed promo code on a ticket purchased at the airport? I'm guessing not, but figured this would be the place to ask.
No but the savings you have at the airport are much better than any coupons.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:13 am

At MCO, one of my recent airport purchases of a one-way ticket (booked in end of January) took a good 10 minutes of agent time. Spirit has a new reservation system implemented in a few airports where after a purchase is made, the agent has to use another system to print the receipt. Unlike a basic login to my spirit account where a lot of information auto fills, the agent has to manually type in the information (like my name, etc.) which consumes a lot of time.

I wonder how much agent time would I consume there if I was booking for a family of four?

And, when I wanted to check-in for this flight, I got an error that I couldn't because I was a minor. Agent didn't fill in DOB correctly. I had to call Spirit for another agent to fix this issue so that I can check in online.

In general, I felt that I was taking up a lot of agent time, when most behind me just wanted to check in a bag for a same day flight. At ATL, the agents might be using the old system. However, even there, it still takes a good amount of agent time, especially noticeable when I'm there and people are behind me just wanting to check a bag.

At ACY which is a small station, I had a poor experience where I stand in a line, then I tell the agent that I want to book a new ticket, and I'm redirected to stand in another line with people there. At MCO and ATL, the agents haven't done that to me. ACY also has limited hours to sell tickets (up to 6:30pm I think), even if there are Spirit flights departing after that.

At PHL, Spirit operates at Terminal A away from the other LCCs (that operate in Terminal E) that attract their type of passenger. If I'm heading to PHL to fly Frontier or Southwest, but want to book another ticket on Spirit for a future date, it's a hassle.

Overall, I suspect Spirit offers discounted tickets at the airport to prevent fare matching as much. But wouldn't it make more sense to just email discount codes (e.g. 15OFF)? I'd think it causes more operational problems selling at the airport.

AFAIK, the FlightFlex add-on option is not available for tickets that are purchased at the airport.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by robertwcook16
No but the savings you have at the airport are much better than any coupons.
LOL... For kicks, I applied a coupon from one of my recent emails to a random trip I'd theoretically take on Spirit.

The coupon reduced the online-purchase cost from $34.10 to $34.09.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Post and run?

Originally Posted by brettneese

Sorry for missing this earlier.

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.