Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit Airlines - How strict on Personal Item?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:32 am
Original Poster

We have never flown Spirit Airlines but we are all set to travel on Spirit for the first time next month.

We are aware of the baggage policies (free personal items and baggage check fee for standard roller carry-on), extra charges like reserving seat, no free drinks, tight seats, etc.

This question is specific to the free personal item allowance (16" x 14" x 12").

How strict do they enforce this dimension. We have a few duffle bags and backpacks at home that are apprx 17" and 18" long. We have used them as personal items for other airline carriers even putting them under seats.

Can anyone advise as to how strictly Spirit enforces the personal item size measurements?

Will they allow bags that are little longer than the stated maximum 16" length?

What if we don't pack them to the max such that they can be squished squeezed down to 16" length?

Thanks
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by NewSpiritACY
We have never flown Spirit Airlines but we are all set to travel on Spirit for the first time next month.

We are aware of the baggage policies (free personal items and baggage check fee for standard roller carry-on), extra charges like reserving seat, no free drinks, tight seats, etc.

This question is specific to the free personal item allowance (16" x 14" x 12").

How strict do they enforce this dimension. We have a few duffle bags and backpacks at home that are apprx 17" and 18" long. We have used them as personal items for other airline carriers even putting them under seats.

Can anyone advise as to how strictly Spirit enforces the personal item size measurements?

Will they allow bags that are little longer than the stated maximum 16" length?

What if we don't pack them to the max such that they can be squished squeezed down to 16" length?

Thanks
I flew Spirit for the first time this past Saturday. Group 1 is for paxs that have paid to take on large carry ons. After that Group 2 which are paxs that upgraded to the "Big Seat" (its well worth it). After that people were still bringing on fairly large carry ons (needed to go in overhead bins) and no one seemed to be stopping them. Actually boarding was no faster on either flight that what I am used to at AA. I would just squish it down.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the post

Any other thoughts from recent Spirit passengers.

How strictly do they follow the 16x14x12 personal item restriction? Do they measure at the ticket counter or at the gate? Or do they simply let reasonably close personal items bags through w/o closely checking measurements?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 2:26 pm

I fly Spirit quite alot, being in Myrtle Beach. They are pretty strict on the size of the "personal" free carryon. In Myrtle beach airport they are not as fussy,but if you're flying into or out of Boston or N.Y. they are FUSSY. If the duffle can be squished down to those measurements than you should be all right. I bring a small roll on exactly the correct measurements and a BIG pocketbook. Don't pay for seats, you'll be assigned 2 together if you're on the same locater#.The bigger roll ons that you see people bringing on...they've probably paid to bring on beforehand.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:29 pm

"you'll be assigned 2 together if you're on the same locator #"

REALLY? Their websites says they won't gurantee that.. and if all that is left are 'middle' seats you are going to be sitting in them.

Expecting Spirit to "care" about you sitting with your traveling party is not really realistic!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:39 pm

Last flew them in October. Line trolls at ORD and FLL with a wooden sizer. Had a Brookstone under-seat bag, and my wife a Ciao under-seat bag - so neither of us were asked to put things in the sizer. But they were going after seemingly everyone else at ORD...
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:35 pm

I fly Spirit all the time. They are very strict. If it can fit under the seat, you don't have to pay, but if it has to go into the overhead bin, they charge. They will not allow you to put anything in the overhead bin unless you paid the carry-on fee for that piece. Only passengers boarding in Zone 1 have purchased carry on baggage, and even when boarding is complete, the flight attendants will not allow you to put the bags under your seat in the overhead bin.

If there's any doubt your bag will fit under the seat, pay the $20 online or at check it because if it doesn't fit and you haven't boarded in zone 1, they will charge you $45

Old Feb 18, 2011, 6:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Do many airlines use "till receipt" boarding "cards" like those? Not seen one of those since I flew Air Asia ages ago.

Neil
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:25 am

Separated travellers

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
"you'll be assigned 2 together if you're on the same locator #"

REALLY? Their websites says they won't gurantee that.. and if all that is left are 'middle' seats you are going to be sitting in them.

Expecting Spirit to "care" about you sitting with your traveling party is not really realistic!
I've flown Spirit many times (over 10) with my spouse and we were never separated by using the method described. I'm not saying it isn't possible but they normally they won't separate you so as to not have seat swapping issues while on board.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:33 am

Good topic..

I am thinking of bringing red oxx air boxx, but not full to my Spirit flight.. Will they allow it? It should be squeezable.

If not, any good carry-ons in 16x14x12 dimensions?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Is the Lonchamp large tote bag within the constraints of the Spirit personal item? I think it would be.

Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Is the Lonchamp large tote bag within the constraints of the Spirit personal item? I think it would be.

the mrs has flown with one similar before and never questioned
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:59 am

slight bigger backpack?

How about a backpack that is a few inches bigger? If you can fit it under the seat is it ok?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
That should be fine as well and would appear to be, in fact, what most people use.

I use a medium-sized gym bag and never get a second glance.

As a fail-safe, you might pack it only 85% or so full to keep a squishability factor in reserve, should the need arise, but that's admittedly probably getting too conservative.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
has anyone flown both spirit and frontier out of LGA to MIA/FLL and back? It seems that they have similar policies, but is the implementation the same? has anyone had success with larger bags?

Does Spirit or Frontier now let you use the overhead bin for small bags so you can have extra leg room?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.