Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexicana Files For Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by KBRZEZNIAK
LJA - lucky you! I'm still waiting for a $900 refund for a flight canceled prior to the bankruptcy announcement (3rd week of July). And to make matters worse, once I canceled that flight - I went ahead and booked a different itinerary for about $450 and THEN a week later the bankruptcy announcement came. I can call credit card about the $450, but the $900 flight was booked back in February - so the time has lapsed to claim through cc company... Trying to remain optimistic - but getting nervous.
booked my flights back in march. just called chase (i used a chase credit card). they will refund the entire amount within 2 business days. no paper work, nothing. just a quick phone call. that is what i call good customer service.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:22 pm

Same here. Phoned Amex as soon as I heard Mexicana were in trouble earlier in the month. Have already received a full refund on tickets booked in early June for a November vacation. According to the letter I received from Amex, it was because "the merchant has not provided us with the information we need to resolve this matter".
Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
American Airlines and American Eagle late Monday afternoon announced discounts for Mexicana customers whose trips have been disrupted by Mexicana's Saturday groundings. Here are some of the conditions:

* The carriers will offer a 20 percent discount off the applicable American/American Eagle fare. For example, the cheapest round trip between Dallas/Fort Worth and Mexico City, departing Oct. 15 and returning Oct. 22, is shown as $430. The discount would knock $86 off that. (These are my numbers, not theirs.)

* Those who want to take advantage of the offer must hold tickets and confirmed bookings on a cancelled Mexicana flight.

* It's good for travel to the customer's original destination.

* If American or American Eagle doesn't serve the original destination, the offer is good to the nearest destination they do serve.

* Travel has to be between the United States and Mexico within seven days of the original travel dates.

* Tickets must be bought by Sunday, Sept. 5.

* Travel must be completed by Thursday, Oct. 28.
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/a...le-offers.html
Old Aug 31, 2010, 3:09 am

Programs: LH Sen, OW Sapphire, Skyteam Gold
Chaos at Mexikana

I have booked two return tickets between Mexico City and Cancun 6 weeks ago for travel between the 5th and the 11th of September 2010.
After Mexicana declared the halt of all flights last Saturday I have claimed a refund with them ( and asked my cc company to refund the amount debited).
Furthermore I had to rebook with AeroMexico ( as all other travel arrangements were set) at a much higher price. Last night I have received an email from Mexicana that we have been rebooked on a different flight with Mexicana Click (the return flight won´t work out as we have an onward
flight to Europe). Is Mexicana or Mexicana Click still flying or have they ceased to operate ?? Anyone with similar experiences here ?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by KBRZEZNIAK
LJA - lucky you! I'm still waiting for a $900 refund for a flight canceled prior to the bankruptcy announcement (3rd week of July). And to make matters worse, once I canceled that flight - I went ahead and booked a different itinerary for about $450 and THEN a week later the bankruptcy announcement came. I can call credit card about the $450, but the $900 flight was booked back in February - so the time has lapsed to claim through cc company... Trying to remain optimistic - but getting nervous.
Well I figured it was worth a shot to call BOA. They are going to allow me to dispute the $900 even though I booked 6 mos. ago, because "the service was not provided to me". Another twist though is that I booked through Orbitz, so the charge on my statement shows Orbitz - not Mexicana. So BOA is actually going to take up the dispute with Orbitz. I do have documentation though from Orbitz promising me a refund. So one way or another, I hope to see something
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, UA 1K
Originally Posted by txlflyer
I have booked two return tickets between Mexico City and Cancun 6 weeks ago for travel between the 5th and the 11th of September 2010.
After Mexicana declared the halt of all flights last Saturday I have claimed a refund with them ( and asked my cc company to refund the amount debited).
Furthermore I had to rebook with AeroMexico ( as all other travel arrangements were set) at a much higher price. Last night I have received an email from Mexicana that we have been rebooked on a different flight with Mexicana Click (the return flight won´t work out as we have an onward
flight to Europe). Is Mexicana or Mexicana Click still flying or have they ceased to operate ?? Anyone with similar experiences here ?
None of the Mexicana brands are flying. No change indicated on the company's website. I would say this is a case of the IT/Reservation system not up to speed with the operational situation.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:51 pm

I received my refund today from my credit card after lodging the dispute on Saturday. now to rebook with someone else...
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:38 pm

Has anyone gotten a refund from Mexicana or American Express for flights scheduled after 9/20? I filed a dispute with American Express and they said as long as my flight is canceled then I should get a refund. I also submitted the form online for a refund with Mexicana but haven't gotten anything back from them.

However, when I called Mexicana today to reconfirm my flight was canceled they said it was canceled for now but could be reinstated after 9/20 so I do not qualify for a refund, since my flight isn't leaving till Dec. Even though when I called on 8/28 the representative I spoke to with Mexicana said I did qualify for a refund because my flight was canceled. Did anyone else experience this conflicting information as well?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by kmsevilla
Has anyone gotten a refund from Mexicana or American Express for flights scheduled after 9/20? I filed a dispute with American Express and they said as long as my flight is canceled then I should get a refund. I also submitted the form online for a refund with Mexicana but haven't gotten anything back from them.

However, when I called Mexicana today to reconfirm my flight was canceled they said it was canceled for now but could be reinstated after 9/20 so I do not qualify for a refund, since my flight isn't leaving till Dec. Even though when I called on 8/28 the representative I spoke to with Mexicana said I did qualify for a refund because my flight was canceled. Did anyone else experience this conflicting information as well?
Welcome to FT KMSEVILLA.

I would call AMEX again and ask for a refund. As of this moment your flight is canceled and they should give you a refund. Mexicana has no clue about what it is doing.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:41 am

AMEX claims that I won`t get a refund until October 26, almost 2 months after I lodged my claim. The supposed reason is that I paid for the ticket in USD (using my Canadian AMEX card), and I am in Canada.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel
AMEX claims that I won`t get a refund until October 26, almost 2 months after I lodged my claim. The supposed reason is that I paid for the ticket in USD (using my Canadian AMEX card), and I am in Canada.
That sounds a bit bizzare to me. I also paid in USD, using an Australian visa card and had no difficulties with a refund. my flights werent until Dec also. I sent the bank a copy of the Mexicana webpage stating that they werent flying to support my claim and had no difficulties with getting the refund.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by whirlybird
Same here. Phoned Amex as soon as I heard Mexicana were in trouble earlier in the month. Have already received a full refund on tickets booked in early June for a November vacation. According to the letter I received from Amex, it was because "the merchant has not provided us with the information we need to resolve this matter".
LOL. No wonder they went bankrupt. Everybody did a "bank run" on their tickets when they heard Mexicana was in trouble.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 1:30 am
LJA

Originally Posted by kmsevilla

My outward flights were scheduled for Nov 20th with return flights on 4 Dec. I received my refund directly from Mexicana (i.e. not from the credit card company) for the full amount on 27 August. You just need to keep on at them. If the flights are cancelled then you are entitled to a refund and if the flights are not cancelled then you are entitled to cancel them. In my case, they kept telling me that my flights were confirmed so I called their bluff and said I wanted to cancel them, as I had already cancelled my holiday for I didn't want to pay for the holiday and then find that I couldn't get there. Some useful e-mail addresses - [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] - send copies of your tickets to all three of these e-mail addresses and say that as you don't think they will be able to honour the flights, that you want a full refund. Then keep re-sending until you hear back from them
Old Sep 4, 2010, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by LJA
My outward flights were scheduled for Nov 20th with return flights on 4 Dec. I received my refund directly from Mexicana (i.e. not from the credit card company) for the full amount on 27 August. You just need to keep on at them. If the flights are cancelled then you are entitled to a refund and if the flights are not cancelled then you are entitled to cancel them. In my case, they kept telling me that my flights were confirmed so I called their bluff and said I wanted to cancel them, as I had already cancelled my holiday for I didn't want to pay for the holiday and then find that I couldn't get there. Some useful e-mail addresses - [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] - send copies of your tickets to all three of these e-mail addresses and say that as you don't think they will be able to honour the flights, that you want a full refund. Then keep re-sending until you hear back from them
You are very lucky to get refund. Im sure more than 50% of the people that bought tickets are not getting money back.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:36 pm

Hello - I am looking for some advice. My friends are on their honeymoon in Costa Rica. They booked Mexicana who actually got them from their home in Canada to Costa Rica in late August - at the time Mexicana bought them one way tickets to San Jose on Continental and Air Canada. They assured them the company financial issues would be resolved before their return flight, so they are in Costa Rica holding Mexicana reseverations on the way home but are now concerned. They have been unable to reach anyone at the airline to understand how they should get home. They are planning to go to the San Jose airport next week on the day they are booked out and looking for a representative of the airline to help them. I am thinking they may need a plan B - any thoughts? I am not familiar with Mexicana myself and I dont see any other folks in this forum who have been in the middle of travel in the last week. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.