Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Break out the large backpack for Spirit travel!

Break out the large backpack for Spirit travel!

Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Spirit is GREAT

I just flew Spirit.

Both flights were on time if not early.

Boarding was fast because people did not bring much more than a personal item.

There were maybe 20 people with carryons (Zone 1 boarding). Maybe 2 people were crying/whining about the "ripoff" charge for last minute carryons (I think $45? Can't remember.)

But really it's all there on the web site and the box for "personal item" is basically whatever you can fit under the seat in front of you which is basically a little bigger than an average daypack and plenty of room for 2-3 days luggage.

If I needed more luggage, I would have paid for it and still come out way cheaper.

I bought a drink. Big deal.

All I care about is safely getting to my destination at a good price and comfortably.

The only BS fee that I have somewhat stronger feelings about is the stupid Passenger Usage Fee of ~$20 roundtrip on top of the usual fees and taxes.

I have just learned to use this formula:

A = advertised price i.e. $9 or $27 or $119 etc. one way

and

RTP = advertised RT price

For a roundtrip domestic nonstop on every other airline:

Price = 2A + ~$20

or

Price = RTP + ~$20

For a roundtrip domestic nonstop on Spirit:

Price = 2A + ~$40 + carryon fee + luggage fee + seat assigment fee + drink fee

So if the prices for a Spirit one way is $150 and a DL one way is $150 and you are checking luggage etc, then DL is better than NK obviously.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
The only BS fee that I have somewhat stronger feelings about is the stupid Passenger Usage Fee of ~$20 roundtrip on top of the usual fees and taxes.
Yeah, the hidden "online ticketing fee" is the only thing Spirit does these days that qualifies as "deceptive" to me. It's actually a disgrace that Spirit management should be ashamed of, but I suspect they're making too much money from it to stop. That's always the problem when you do something that your "better angels" would tell you not to do.

I've heard that you can go to the ticket counter and not pay this fee, but I don't know that for sure. Has anyone ever tried it? Especially if you were travelling with your family, it's enough money that it would be worth a trip if the airport were convenient to you (like FLL is pretty central if you live in the area).
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
You probably can, but there may be an agent fee. I don't know.

It is very likely though, that the agents can only get you standard fares, not the deeply deeply discounted fare club fares that are available online.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:48 pm

iahphx and aubreyfromwheaton...

I agree with both of you about the bogus Passenger Usage Fee being ridiculous and undercutting Spirit's "pay for what you want/need" philosophy. The fact that it is shoehorned in the taxes and fees portion of the bill --like it is government imposed or some such-- is totally deceptive.

As to whether or not you can avoid the fee and still get the dirt cheap fares at a ticket counter, I will ask a gate agent when I fly this weekend to ACY from DET. I will let you know what I find out next week when I get back.

As an aside, virtually all of the backpacks I have found in the local stores are just a tad too lenghthy, about 17 to 18 inches long, save for the undersized little kids' school backpacks. I know that the backpacks can be squished in the sizers if they are not rigid, but I am mortified at the thought of paying $90 for a backpack that is *just over* the limit when stuffed. So I am scanning the internet for "correctly sized" backpacks.

You would think some backpack company would try to market such a thing, no?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks frugal flyer.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you can't actually buy the "$9 fare club" fares at the airport, but we obviously won't know until someone asks (or the Spirit rep reading this board tells us).

I am certain that more than 90% of pax just think the ticketing "convenience fee" is part of the taxes and PFCs which, as we all know, can be a bit unpredictable so it's easy to hide in there.

Meanwhile, as long as your backpack isn't too "rigid," I don't see how they could charge you a carry on fee if you can "fold it over" into the sizer. And while we don't have enough data points -- flyertalkers seem to avoid this airline like the plague -- my impression is that they're not being particularly strict with measuring baggage at the gate.

Meanwhile, I'm kind of expecting Spirit to start selling luggage that satisfies their maximum size restriction. Anything to make a buck, right?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 3:06 pm

As long as it's close to the size of the personal item box, I think it should be ok, but YMMV.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 4:29 pm

Has anyone found any bags or backpacks that are 16x14x12?

So far the only thing I found exactly 16x14x12 is a cardboard box. All the backpacks I've come across have only about 6 or 7 inches of depth. The Zuca Pro looked great for 1 bag travel but it is 19x13x10.

I found some cheap bags here that might work if not packed fully to be able to reduce the length for the sizers:
http://www.luggage.com/Netpack-822-NPA1155.html

Luggage.com also has some NCAA team specific bags. Two that were close were a diaper bag at 14x13x9 and the Broad Bay cotton duffle bag at 23x13.5x12 (which again would not be able to be fully packed).
Old Nov 1, 2010, 5:49 pm

i have a daypack that looks similar to this:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...f4S0EHpTB5PZM=
Old Nov 1, 2010, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skink
Has anyone found any bags or backpacks that are 16x14x12?

So far the only thing I found exactly 16x14x12 is a cardboard box. All the backpacks I've come across have only about 6 or 7 inches of depth. The Zuca Pro looked great for 1 bag travel but it is 19x13x10.

I found some cheap bags here that might work if not packed fully to be able to reduce the length for the sizers:
http://www.luggage.com/Netpack-822-NPA1155.html

Luggage.com also has some NCAA team specific bags. Two that were close were a diaper bag at 14x13x9 and the Broad Bay cotton duffle bag at 23x13.5x12 (which again would not be able to be fully packed).
I pulled out an ancient (almost 20 year old) LL Bean rucksak from my basement that was nearly perfect. But I just looked at Bean and it seems like the newer models are narrower. One of my kids used a large Burton backpack (great sales last December at sierrasnowboard.com) that gave her almost as much room.

I don't think you have to overthink this one that much. A lot of large, cheap backpacks should work. Just make sure it's not too "rigid" in the back so that you can squeeze it into the sizer if necessary.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:04 am

[QUOTE=frugal_flyer;14886556]I just flew this past week from Detroit to Tampa, and back, on Spirit with a backpack.

That gate agent in Tampa was great. I also had him last week. He had everyone ready to go, so the slightly late arrival became an ontime departure. He was working hard at explaining everything and whipping the passengers in to shape (in a good, fun way that recalled the best of Southwest Airlines 20 years ago). By having the zone 1 people line up, the other zones did not get up and crowd the area like usual. He had people put away their IDs and tear the tickets themselves and be ready to give him the boarding pass quickly and efficiently.

He even got on the plane to help remind people to get settled in so the plane could push back....He really took ownership that he was going to turn the plane on time....

He should be a trainer for Spirit on how to do the gate right....
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Spirit is raising all their checked bag fees by $3 on Nov. 16 -- making the fees very close to the carry-on bag fees. I'm guessing we might see a few more carry-ons.

http://www.spiritair.com/Policiesbags.aspx

Another good reason to get a large backpack for Spirit travel!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 3:25 pm

haiti222...

I hope I see that gate agent again so I can get his name, and write to Spirit about how fantastic he was! I completely agree with you, he should be the trainer for other gate agents to follow!

iahphx... If the carry-on fee is the same (almost) as the checked bag fee, I would certainly think that there will be more a lot more carry-ons. I can't understand why anyone would want to wait longer to retrieve luggage that might get lost. And, yes, you are exactly right: Spirit should get in the "Spirit-sized" luggage business, as long as us $9 Fare Club members who purchase get double or triple miles!

Skink... Like you, I thought there would be backpacks/duffles that would be almost exactly 16 by 14 by 12 available for purchase *somewhere*, but there is virtually nothing out there. A lot of duffles would be alright, but they all seem to 17 or 18 inches long, i.e., just long enough to make me worry and not want to get them.

For the record, there seems to be some duffles at or under the correct size on EBAY, but the depth/heighth seems a little shallow. Even though some of the items seem like they would be cheap enough to purchase, the sellers are making sure that they make money by overcharging on the shipping. I am NOT paying $11.95 to ship a $2.00 bag.

I am not shipping savvy, per se, but I know it doesn't cost that much!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:18 pm

-I don't think Spirit reads its comments both good or bad to be honest, nor cares.

-If luggage goes up, i bet carryons are right behind

-Southwest used to be awesome, especially when det-mdw was $19! Now it is so expensive

-I think Spirit is not going to nitpick if the personal item is close. Like it has been stated, they are interested in expediting boarding (tear your own pass, line up, etc). They really don't seem to want to argue unless it's basically clear that it's too big...

-I recently applied for the Spirit credit card... and recently flew on Spirit. My miles didn't post...so I requested mileage credit...and it was only 50%...and then I remembered that I think you need to have the credit card, or elite status to get 100% miles...so I prob should have waited for my status to change once the credit card is approved.... stupid me and stupid 50% program... fool me once .... fool me twice
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:54 am

I do use a checked bag over a carry-on some trips so I can bring liquids/food back without problems....The quicker on plane/deplane is something spirit should not lose...
Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:38 pm

I just found a pretty good bag, I think, for Spirit's personal item allowance. It is a duffle bag by American Trunk and Case, measures 16 by 11 by 9 inches, and is on sale at sears.com for $10. If you live close enough to a store to pick it up, it costs less than $11 with tax. If not, shipping is fairly cheap.

It does not seem very "expandable", so that 16 inches will stay 16 inches and not cause headaches should Spirit gate agents decide to measure.

I will be in Atlantic City for 4 days starting tomorrow, and I was able to fit in everything I wanted to bring pretty easily. Only small downside that I can see is that the front pouch is so shallow, it is fairly useless. Big enough to put medications and some papers, but not large enough for an electric razor, as an example.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.