Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage member flying on LAN

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2009, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
AAdvantage member flying on LAN

Hi to fellow South American FTers! (and to everyone for this matter )
I'm not familiar with LAN, so i need some help. My family is planning to fly CCS-LIM on LAN. We are all devoted AAdvantage members and i really don't have a clue how this OneWorld alliance works regarding on mileage accrual.

I'm not sure if i fly LAN metal i will get the same amount of miles to my AAdvantage account as if i was doing (hypothetically) this same trip on AA metal. I would like to know if i get the same amount of miles,less miles or whatever happens.

I'm sorry if the question seems a bit newbish, i still have to do some search. On this case, CCS-LIM would be 3406 miles for the R/T but i am also an AA Gold (25% bonus) and i think i will be flying J on the 763

I'm asking because on this scenario i don't know how the numbers add up. On what rate does American count LAN miles, or how do this works.

Thanks
Old Jul 12, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...rlines/lan.jsp gives some information that should help you calculate it.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:15 pm

Since you are flying in J, you will get the 3406 EQM miles plus the 25% bonus (Gold) and 25% for (Business Class) for the RT trip CCS-LIM. Lan calculates flying distance by kms, and AA credits your account in miles !

Don't get to confused with all of this, it's very easy to see what miles you will obtain from other oneworld carriers. Just figure out which fare code (the first letter) and then you can estimate how many miles you will get.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by colmc
http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...rlines/lan.jsp gives some information that should help you calculate it.
Yup, i found it 10 mins after making this thread. Great.

Originally Posted by ElvisNYC
Since you are flying in J, you will get the 3406 EQM miles plus the 25% bonus (Gold) and 25% for (Business Class) for the RT trip CCS-LIM. Lan calculates flying distance by kms, and AA credits your account in miles !

Don't get to confused with all of this, it's very easy to see what miles you will obtain from other oneworld carriers. Just figure out which fare code (the first letter) and then you can estimate how many miles you will get.
I'm glad to hear. Thank You for such a nice reply!
So in total i would get 5110 miles for that trip. Well if every time i fly Lan metal, i get credited exactly the same amount of miles as flying AA to my AAdvantage. I may just choose to fly Lan more often and ditch AA.

Is there any possible downside for flying Lan and accruing the miles on an AAdvantage account? Just that the miles takes a little bit to post right? I just want to make sure, because i am feeling tempted to change my AA metal for Lan.

While this comment may seem funny. I've heard excellent thoughts about Lan. Honestly speaking .. can someone tell me a non-biased experience between both?

I have quite a different itinerary from the one i yesterday posted. A bit more substantial. I just want to make sure i'll get all the entire miles as i am supposed to. I guess,even if i read it in the chart on the site, i want to be reassured by first hand experience. ^

Saludos,
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:26 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
I wouldn't say every time you fly you will get the same miles. As you can see from the chart, there are LOTS of exceptions to this, especially when flying within South America (within Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, or Peru the domestic flights on many cheap fare classes earn very few miles in AA's program or many other ones).
For international flights, as long as you check your fare basis each time, there is often no downside to flying LAN and crediting to AA, though you might get better treatment on AA as it's your "home" airline miles program and they will recognize your status more highly than LAN will (but at Gold level, I don't think this should be an important factor for you).

My experiences with LAN have been good. Clean planes, friendly staff, on-time. But that's all within South America, not on the intercontinental flights, so it may not provide much basis for you to judge.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 2:46 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Only downsides, assuming mostly cattle class flying, are not being able to choose the exit row seats when you book or self-changing your seat over time and that LAN ON THE GROUND personnel and customer service can be terrible when things go wrong.

Last edited by Viajero Perpetuo; Jul 14, 2009 at 2:49 am Reason: Changed adjective
Old Jul 14, 2009, 5:24 am
Original Poster

I've got news, i've manage to grab a steal. I will be flying CCS-LIM-MIA on I (Lan). Then i will do MIA-CCS on AA coach. The LIM-MIA leg is yet to be confirmed. If the Business from LIM-MIA is a no-no, i will have to fly coach.This is what i am not sure. Taking that leg on AA or Lan.

From what i've read on this case. I will do get the complete miles either way, so it's just about the same. I'll see if i can make that other B-leg. Thanks for the input! Feel free to comment.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 6:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, *Gold on UA, FlyingBlue Gold (matched), SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
I wouldn't say every time you fly you will get the same miles. As you can see from the chart, there are LOTS of exceptions to this, especially when flying within South America (within Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, or Peru the domestic flights on many cheap fare classes earn very few miles in AA's program or many other ones).
But, quite a few of the LAN intra Argentina/Peru/Ecuador/Chile flights are less than 500 miles. If you have any status with AA, then you can always get the minimum of 500 miles per segment, which on the cheap (book ahead of time) fares, can often be a pretty good value...
Old Jul 20, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
can you confirm my reading of the AA chart?

Economy Class *
All
Y, B, H, K, M, L, V
100%

International (outside South America)
G, N, O, Q, S
100%

I am in G NYC - SCL. That will credit 100% miles to my AA account, correct? I just want to make sure the "outside South America" doesn't mean wholly outside South America, e.g. their NYC-Toronto or SYD-AKL flights.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Anyone have any solid information as to what program to use (LAN's or AA's), when it comes to OpUps?

I am Premium on LAN (lowest of the three Elite categoris), and Exec Plat on AA, which would make me OneWorld Emerald. I have heard conflicting reports regarding who gets the OpUp first?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.