Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Porter Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Porter will now start charging for checked bags on US flights. $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second, and $100 for the third+ bags. At the same time, they will guarantee delivery within 30 minutes.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013...s_flights.html
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, 50K Altitude, Nexus
Horrible. They try not to be AC, but this is a very AC move.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 9:55 am
B1

In each direction, of course - from Porter's friendly web site. As if this was an innovation!
"U.S. checked baggage fees

New checked baggage fees are being introduced for all one-way travel between the U.S. and Canada. This scale is now $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second bag, and $100 for the third bag and each subsequent bag, which is comparable to other airlines."
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, 50K Altitude, Nexus
If anyone cares, interline agreement with Icelandair announced.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1199...line-agreement
Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:40 am
B1

Web Check In Problems and Overbooking

Both ways on YTZ-BOS the web check-in did not work for me. I was concerned that without a boarding pass I could be bumped. So I called and the agent told me that Porter does not overbook. I got to YTZ and there were two ferry loads in line for check in and one agent. The wait was about 45 minutes. I did get a boarding pass but when I was at the gate, that agent announced that the flight was oversold and they would offer space on a flight four hours later and $200 with a meal. If no one takes the offer, then they would bump by fare class. I don't know what transpired but Porter seems to be going down the drain. They screwed up web check in and then had insufficient staff at the check in counter. Then on an airline that claims never to overbook to be oversold shows there is untruthfulness... And immigration waiting lines in Boston are incredibly long - so make sure you have Global Entry. Sorry to say this but nexttime it's Delta or AC to BOS.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by B1
Then on an airline that claims never to overbook to be oversold shows there is untruthfulness...
I don't know whether they intentionally overbook or not, but I did have a situation where they had to bump passengers in order to reduce weight, due to weather conditions which limited the maximum takeoff weight. This was in the winter, though, and they did announce the reason rather than just saying they were overbooked. Anyway, I volunteered and got $150 (2 x $75 vouchers) to fly about 1.5h later. ^
Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:20 am

Programs: LH Miles&More Senator, KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Bronze
Grrrrrrrrr. Sitting at Newark (arrived early) and they are letting 3 flights go with empty seats rather than let me go early. Otherwise it's a $150 charge. I get that no one will buy the flex fares if they are too liberal with free changes, but when you're sitting at gate B51 for 4 hours it seems kinda dumb.

I try to support the little guy, but as a Star Alliance Gold, chances are good that I'd be allowed to go early.

Bye, bye Porter. I hardly knew ye.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
So you want an exception to the rules of the fare you decided to purchase because you arrived early? If the flights were delayed and they didn't allow you onto a flight you were watching board I can understand being frustrated but this one you're just being a cry baby. Pay the fee, buy the flexfare or don't show up 4 hours early.
When I've flown Porter I arrived 2+ hours early as traffic was less than expected. I relaxed, had some juice, checked emails and waited. 4+ hours was too much time at the airport.

Originally Posted by Kiltboys
Grrrrrrrrr. Sitting at Newark (arrived early) and they are letting 3 flights go with empty seats rather than let me go early. Otherwise it's a $150 charge. I get that no one will buy the flex fares if they are too liberal with free changes, but when you're sitting at gate B51 for 4 hours it seems kinda dumb.

I try to support the little guy, but as a Star Alliance Gold, chances are good that I'd be allowed to go early.

Bye, bye Porter. I hardly knew ye.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:36 am

Porter Airlines

I'm not being a crybaby, but merely pointing out that my past experience with other carriers has engendered more common sense. This morning Porter has let 3 flights go with empty seats as I sat at the gate. It was storming and they are expecting delays later in the day but because there is no lightening currently they say they can't allow me to change without a fee. This info is all according to their station manager.

Anyway- I'm still here. If I were flying AC, US or UA I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be and I will make a different decision with respect to carrier next time.

I mean, there's only so many shortbread biscuits one can eat before going postal.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:03 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
I'm not being a crybaby, but merely pointing out that my past experience with other carriers has engendered more common sense. This morning Porter has let 3 flights go with empty seats as I sat at the gate. It was storming and they are expecting delays later in the day but because there is no lightening currently they say they can't allow me to change without a fee. This info is all according to their station manager.

Anyway- I'm still here. If I were flying AC, US or UA I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be and I will make a different decision with respect to carrier next time.

I mean, there's only so many shortbread biscuits one can eat before going postal.
*shrugs* I hope you are not looking for sympathy, and are just venting.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
So if you were flying on the 3 airlines that are US members of an alliance you are a high level member of you'd get this service for free? oh wow imagine that. AA & DL which I fly as little as possible wouldn't do the same for me yet as I am a star alliance flyer due to my spending on that group I too get better service. Now that you're delayed you have something to complain about. But complaining that you got to the airport way way too early and they wouldn't give you a service others pay to get for free is being a cry baby.

Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by briantoronto
*shrugs* I hope you are not looking for sympathy, and are just venting.
I'm not sure I'm looking for, nor did I ask for, anything. I merely recounted an experience that I found disappointing. Nothing more, nothing less. If it disturbs you, read other posts.

Cheers!

KB
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
With UA and US you absolutely would be (speaking from experience as an AC 50K Star Gold) and with AC you would be if you were flying outside of the triangle.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:41 pm

Well, I've been put on earlier flights for no fee with United (on North America), EasyJet and Austrian Airlines (both in Europe). No fee, no status, and no delay-related events either.

If there are empty seats it makes sense for the airline. They might be able to sell your original seat to someone else, but not the seat leaving empty right now. And they avoid the risks associated with possible delays, too (especially in Europe those can be costly, passengers have a better legal standing there).

In other situations United has denied my request (I would have had to pay a $150 fee).

I understand both sides of the argument.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by laidback71
Porter will now start charging for checked bags on US flights. $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second, and $100 for the third+ bags. At the same time, they will guarantee delivery within 30 minutes.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013...s_flights.html
Bad move for them.
I have free luggage (2 or 3) with AC, UA, US with *G
I have free luggage (2) with AA with OW Sapphire (from Amex Plat)
I will soon have free luggage (1 or 2) with Delta (starwood Plat)
With Porter there is no way to have any kind of status, so I have to pay $50 to $100 for something which is free with any other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.