Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

passport almost expires/ Brazil Visa still good

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2004, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Usairways Silver

Hi Brazilian travelers,

My passport is expires at the end of janurary, but my VISA which is stamped in my passport, has another two years. I just renewed my passport today, and will get the old one back, but with 2 holes punched in it. I am suppose to go to brazil in December, and then back mid january. So hence my question...

Will Brazil allow me to use my Old passport, that doesnt expire prior to my next trip with the Visa??

Will brasil allow the VISA after the Passport expires?? There are still 2 years left on the VISA.. ???

If no.. to both of the above?? how quickly can i get that ViSA stamped?? I may only have a week to do it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
Mike
[email protected]
Old Nov 13, 2004, 3:05 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Your VISA is still valid, just bring with you your old passport. With you old passport (including the VALID VISA) and your new passport you may come in the country. No worries!

Rgs,
Hardi
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, AA, Worldperks, Asiamiles, BA Miles
Does this advice still apply now?

I couldn't find any official information about this. My old passport that had expired last year still has a valid Brazil visa with 3 more years validity to it. I would rather not have to go through the expense of getting a new visa!

Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:01 am

Programs: Varig Smiles - Diamante, LH - Senator, TAP Victoria - Gold
Maybe you are better calling the nearest Brazilian embassy/consulate?
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:37 am

Programs: AE*E
Originally Posted by sng8888
I couldn't find any official information about this. My old passport that had expired last year still has a valid Brazil visa with 3 more years validity to it. I would rather not have to go through the expense of getting a new visa!

Thanks
Previous information on the thread is correct. That is, carry your old passport along with your current one. When my passport expired in '05 I e-mailed the Brazilian consulate in Toronto. They replied promptly advising the visa, in the old passport, was still valid until expiry (of the visa). When I went in for my new passport I told them not to punch holes in the page of the old passport that displayed my Brazil visa. No problem. I have been to Brazil twice since then with no issues with imigração.
Upon departure, your airline will also likely want to see your old passport containing valid visa as well.
I carry the e-mail received from the consulate but have not had to show it when arriving in S.P.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:44 am
cpx

Programs: Many
For most part the advice given above is valid for most country visas. Just
check and see if they have any special notes on the visa stating otherwise.

Its always good to check with the local consulate or embassy to be
absolutely sure.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:31 pm

brzil visa question

any problem if my visa expires while i'm in brasil, as long as i leave within 90 days of entry?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: None no more
Originally Posted by mitchigas
any problem if my visa expires while i'm in brasil, as long as i leave within 90 days of entry?
Assuming you are talking about a tourist visa. I would think the immigration officer, at time of entry, will not grant you entry beyond the last day of validity of your visa and would indicate so in their computer and notate days allowed with the entry stamp. I would also expect the officer to ask for your outward airline ticket.

Here's the rub, the agent may not specifically ask and verify departure date is within visa validity. I do not know if the impending expiry of your visa will trigger these questions. I do know ordinarily few questions are asked...stamp, stamp, "proximo".

When you exit Brazil you will be presenting an expired visa, iow, you were in the country illegally. Brazil, by reports is pretty laissez-faire with overstays and make you pay a small fine next time you enter...thats an overstay, ie. beyond the 90 or 180 days (extension ) a VALID visa allows. I do not know if this situation would receive similar treatment or if consequences are more serious.

I would not knowingly stay beyond the terms of my visa...just my two cents.

Note: you might ask the mod's to move this to the Brazil forum and get more comments or advice.

Last edited by zackery149; Jan 27, 2015 at 4:53 pm Reason: more info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.