Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
TAM, LAN Colombia to join oneworld!

It's finally official!

http://www.oneworld.com/news-informa...objectID=54228

Last edited by oneworld82; Mar 7, 2013 at 6:41 am
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:45 am

For most brazilians it is not a good move. It surely would happen, since Lan bought Tam and is a part of OW.
But we lost so many good european companies, , where we have flights of Lufhtansa (Frankfurt/Munich), Swiss (Zurich), Singapore (Barcelona), Tap (many cities in Brazil). Now we are left with Iberia and British. I think there won't be enough award tickets within these two companies.

Plus, Gol airlines is part of Delta Airlines and therefore eager to be in Skymiles.

If Avianca had bought Tap and made Lifemiles also valid for Brazil, it would be a nice move we surely need.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Originally Posted by geoshina
For most brazilians it is not a good move. It surely would happen, since Lan bought Tam and is a part of OW.
But we lost so many good european companies, , where we have flights of Lufhtansa (Frankfurt/Munich), Swiss (Zurich), Singapore (Barcelona), Tap (many cities in Brazil). Now we are left with Iberia and British. I think there won't be enough award tickets within these two companies.

Plus, Gol airlines is part of Delta Airlines and therefore eager to be in Skymiles.

If Avianca had bought Tap and made Lifemiles also valid for Brazil, it would be a nice move we surely need.
excellent points ^^
Old Mar 7, 2013, 1:06 pm

Do we call the new airline La Tam? Sounds French.

Everyone knew this would happen when TAM merved with LAN. TAM used to be a code share partner of American Airlines, though never joined its alliance. Then TAM became a code share partner of UA and later joined Star. Not great for us in Fortaleza, IF it makes it difficult to use TAM to connect with UA or US flights at GRU or GIG to get to the States. But the last time we flew AA from GRU to the States and back, their Web site included the leg to GRU on TAM. So the overall difference may be small except for determining what Brazilian flights give ff miles usable on what U.S. carriers. Oneworld will be gaining even more of a presence in Brazil when US Airways becomes part of American Airlines and, thus, part of Oneworld rather than Star. US currently flies just GIG-CLT, but will soon start GRU-CLT. I wonder if all of those will keep going after the merger.

I assume that Avianca Brasil, currently operating separately from Avianca International, will join the Star Alliance, along with A.I. Avianca Brasil's network of flights is much less extensive than that of TAM or Gol, so Star loses overall, IMHO.

Delta is a large shareholder in Gol, but I don't think it's true (as least not yet) that Gol is part of Delta. However, I would also assume, as noted above, that Gol will join Skyteam, with Delta, but this hasn't happened yet. Delta flew non-stop from FOR to ATL for a while, first as part of a FOR-ATL-REC-FOR circuit, and then on its own, but Delta dropped those routes, about the same time it added GRU-DTW (maybe due to number of landing slots it could have in Brazil)

Last edited by SoCal; Mar 7, 2013 at 1:15 pm
Old Mar 7, 2013, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by SoCal
Delta is a large shareholder in Gol
Is 3% large now?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by SoCal
Do we call the new airline La Tam? Sounds French.

Everyone knew this would happen when TAM merved with LAN. TAM used to be a code share partner of American Airlines, though never joined its alliance. Then TAM became a code share partner of UA and later joined Star. Not great for us in Fortaleza, IF it makes it difficult to use TAM to connect with UA or US flights at GRU or GIG to get to the States. But the last time we flew AA from GRU to the States and back, their Web site included the leg to GRU on TAM. So the overall difference may be small except for determining what Brazilian flights give ff miles usable on what U.S. carriers. Oneworld will be gaining even more of a presence in Brazil when US Airways becomes part of American Airlines and, thus, part of Oneworld rather than Star. US currently flies just GIG-CLT, but will soon start GRU-CLT. I wonder if all of those will keep going after the merger.

I assume that Avianca Brasil, currently operating separately from Avianca International, will join the Star Alliance, along with A.I. Avianca Brasil's network of flights is much less extensive than that of TAM or Gol, so Star loses overall, IMHO.

Delta is a large shareholder in Gol, but I don't think it's true (as least not yet) that Gol is part of Delta. However, I would also assume, as noted above, that Gol will join Skyteam, with Delta, but this hasn't happened yet. Delta flew non-stop from FOR to ATL for a while, first as part of a FOR-ATL-REC-FOR circuit, and then on its own, but Delta dropped those routes, about the same time it added GRU-DTW (maybe due to number of landing slots it could have in Brazil)
You should call the airline TAM and LAN, the same way you call British Airways and Iberia, being this one controlled by IAG and the first one by LaTam. And La Tam sounds spanish, btw.

Gol and Delta have already started the "fusion" process. Their motto in Brazil is being called "act as one", meaning that they will share a lot of the office stuff that surrounds these two companies, while in Brazil.
And did you know that by having Gol miles award program, Smiles, you can get awars tickets from Delta, KLM or Air France?

If portuguese is good, you can read all about here:

http://http://g1.globo.com/economia/...nstantino.html
Old Mar 8, 2013, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by C010T3
Is 3% large now?
In dollar terms, yes. But certainly not "part of Delta."

A bit more info on Delta-Gol. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gols-p...172846494.html

Hopefully Gol is recovering from its acquistion of Webjet, and later laying off of employees and getting rid of some of the planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.