Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit Airlines 5,000 Miles for Registering

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Spirit Airlines is offering 5,000 points for registering to their Mega Miles Giveaway Tour. I wrote more about this offer here: http://dealswelike.com/2011/04/04/sp...y-5000-points/

Essentially, all you have to do is register and will receive 5,000 points. You can also attend their road show in your local city and receive another 5,000 points. One lucky person will win 1 million points at each location. Go to http://www.getfreemiles.com/ to register.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, IHG Gold, AAdvantage. DL Skymiles
Thanks. That's easy to reach from my work!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Mileage Plus
Spirit 5000

Has anyone received the 5,000 Spirit miles yet?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:21 am

The offer gives a date when the miles will be deposited. It is in May or June....
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:24 am

Thanks. Now what to do with 5000 Spirit miles...
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
At the traveling events they give away 5,000-mile certificates to luggage-throw participants, but in trying to enter mine it says that one has already been entered. I don't know if they're referring to this 5,000-mile bonus for registering online or if it's a supposed duplicate with a 5,000-mile cert given for another reason (such as onboard for filling out a Visa application).

If they count the online registration as the only 5,000-mile bonus you get, then there's not much point in going to the Mega Miles traveling show except to try to win the 1M miles. (BTW, the luggage throw contest isn't easy...the bag is light, but it has to settle within about a yard-square taped-off area and be ENTIRELY within the area. People are strictly limited to one throw, and on a good day maybe 1 in 10 might get it and advance to a second round).
Old May 3, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Gold
45 days

Originally Posted by haiti222
The offer gives a date when the miles will be deposited. It is in May or June....
Just signed up and it said they'll send an e-cert within 45 days.
Old May 3, 2011, 11:55 am

Just so I don't feel totally stupid, am I reading the getfreemiles.com subsite on Spirit correctly? That you can't just show up at the luggage toss contest on your own, you must be invited by email from Spirit, correct? I would love to go try for some miles, but I don't want to waste gas going to the Latrobe event just to be told that I need some sort of invitation email.

Hope I am not the only one going back and forth over this!
Old May 4, 2011, 6:07 am

I too was expecting an "invite via e-mail" after registering for 5000 miles. Never came.So went over to the "toss" in Myrtle Beach (only 15 min. away) to catch some of the excitement. Anyone can participate in the Toss. which started at 6:00 pm and went on to 8:00. when the dozen or so people who got the bag into the "square" finished up with a final "toss" at 8:00. Winner got a million miles. (Older gentleman) Funny...all the older ladies were getting it right in the square! All the young "Studs" were overcompensating.Practice ahead. Get a sports sized duffle,fill with newspaper or bubble wrap. Map out 20 ft. and a 4ft. square and toss away. Have fun. After tossing you will receive a certificate for 5,000 bonus miles that you can give to anyone. If you registered on line ahead you only get the first 5,000 bonus miles. You can not double-dip.(so we were told!)
Old May 4, 2011, 11:00 am

ciaohound... Thank you very much for clearing this up!

Since Pittsburgh is 100 miles from me, and I have already registered for the initial 5000 miles, I am not sure that the (slim) chance of winning a million miles is worth the gas and tolls. But who knows, it sounds like it might be fun!
Old May 5, 2011, 5:02 pm

Programs: United 1K
5000 miles is a great deal if they airline didnt loose your luggage 50% of the time.
Old May 13, 2011, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by ciaohound
After tossing you will receive a certificate for 5,000 bonus miles that you can give to anyone. If you registered on line ahead you only get the first 5,000 bonus miles. You can not double-dip.(so we were told!)
What? I thought you get 5,000 for signing up + 5000 miles for attending the toss event! Many people read it that way ( http://www.insideflyer.com/articles/...e.php?key=6935 )
Why did I go to the tossing event if I don't get additional miles for attending?

I just received an email with a code for 5000 miles from the "MegaMiles" promotion. When I enter that code at the Spirit ff page it says I already got 5000, so I can't get more.

Very misleading. I had to drive a ways to go to the event.
Old May 13, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold, DL, CO, ATR
Just got my 5000 cert by email. I went to register it and it said that I dont qualify because i already received 5k when I filled out an application for the visa.

My take on Spirit;
Their Marketing and promos are very misleading,Their miles are pretty much worthless, and their FF program stinks,

Their service is horrible, but what do you expect from a 9 dollar fare. I fly them when i must, to save money, but i dont understand why they even bother with a FF program.

I Applied for a visa, and was promised 15 for joining, ooops fine print said they could offer you an alternate card, and only get 5k. that was one gotcha.

I was told that if i transfered a balance i would get a point, dollar for dollar. I went ahead and trasfered 10k, oops, sorry, you only get 1 or the other, you already got a 5k bonus for signing up, you cant get any more for balance transfers....WTH gotcha again,

The CSR's on the phone, hardly speak english, and will repeat their lines with stubborn tenacity, " sorry, I no can do it" these are the rules,

Never mind the horror stories of them cancelling a flight right before passover, my niece had to get to miami, she was on crutches at the time, they just cancelled "both ways mind you", gave her back 180, and she had to go find a flight on her own, cheapest at the time was 600 return. they gave her a worthless certificate, that she could not even use on the way back.

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, heed my advice, and stay away from their program, it is a waste of time and energy!

Look at their redemption policies, it most likely would cost you more to redeem an award than to buy it outright from them! Is that riddiculous or what!!

if you are trying to fly on a budget, and dont care if they screw up your itinerary, then by all means, fly them, but their FF program is a joke and a fraud!

I would not be surprised if they got hit with a class action soon.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I just emailed them to get my 5,000 miles due to the fact that I feel I earned the miles and that the old inflight miles signup promotion was different than the Mega-Miles event. I hope they give me the 5,000 miles I earned and was awarded.
Old May 14, 2011, 1:25 pm

Like others, I got the certificate just by signing up.

Given:
- Spirit introduced a new credit card
- This promotion coincided with the introduction of the new credit card
- Without a credit card, accumulating miles on Spirit is challenging
- Spirit's been sending multiple e-mails a week hawking its new credit card

I believe this promotion was just a gimmick to bring attention to its new credit card offering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.