MEA from strength to strength

Old Nov 8, 2008, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Exclamation MEA from strength to strength

Besides the recently purchased brand new 6 A320's and 4 A330's MEA has now tendered to both Boeing and Airbus for up to 8 A350's or 787's. MEA already operates 6 factory purchased A321's. This is an airline (and country) who always defy the odds. Beirut braun

CJ

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Nov 8, 2008 at 4:43 pm
Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:15 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver, Egyptair Plus Gold/*A Gold
Due to the advanced delivery date of any potential orders, what are the chances of MEA leasing something from 2010 until 2017?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by directorguy_
Due to the advanced delivery date of any potential orders, what are the chances of MEA leasing something from 2010 until 2017?
I think if they got the A350's they would probably get those quicker than the 787's...not sure if they will lease in interim. Politically I think they will wait to see how Obama treats Lebanon.

The Lebanese seem to be worried they will be sold out to syria again as a bargaining chip for greater ME peace. If that happens ME may well go Airbus. Also the Lebanese will be looking to have US travel restrictions lifted and the reopening of the Beirut - New York route, still indefinately suspended since civil war days. If the Air Canada Monteal Beirut route 11th hour fiasco is any indication this may not happen too soon!

Lets see how it goes.

CJ
Old Nov 9, 2008, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Beirut is also tipped by Lonely Planet as a hot destination for 2009.

Let's hope that just measn popular/interesting to visit.

Is anyone on MEA soon (or recently)? I'd love to index your trip reports or other posts to the ME Index of trips/flights/cabin & food pics! ^

I promise to add my cabin/food/seat pics for last weekend's QR flights, sorry for the jetlag-induced delay!
Old Nov 9, 2008, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Welcome home BB

Look forward to your trip report.

CJ
Old Nov 10, 2008, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
It's just beginning. Thanks CJ!
I took quite a few photos onboard QR, primarily the food, so I hope I can post them here tomorrow.

Still looking to get to BEY somehow, sometime.
Goodnight!
Old Nov 10, 2008, 8:25 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver, Egyptair Plus Gold/*A Gold
I'm very glad that the regional aviation market has more and more nonstop links to remote parts of the world and would be even more so if a few would include BEY. Maybe the new A350s and 787s will be able to do a few Asian routes, restart JFK and/or YUL and even Oz? It would mean a lot for travel, business and tourism if an airline like AC were to make BEY their ME destination. In the meantime, I hope they redo their 763s though

That MEA tendered to Boeing is a good sign in that Lebanon is moving towards diversifying its fleet and in a wider political context is moving towards closer relations with like-minded nations that could help ensure Lebanon's peace.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by directorguy_
I'm very glad that the regional aviation market has more and more nonstop links to remote parts of the world and would be even more so if a few would include BEY. Maybe the new A350s and 787s will be able to do a few Asian routes, restart JFK and/or YUL and even Oz? It would mean a lot for travel, business and tourism if an airline like AC were to make BEY their ME destination. In the meantime, I hope they redo their 763s though

That MEA tendered to Boeing is a good sign in that Lebanon is moving towards diversifying its fleet and in a wider political context is moving towards closer relations with like-minded nations that could help ensure Lebanon's peace.
Politically the fleet mix is a good sign for sure, however I think fleet commonality is a more sustainable economical and logistic model. Let's see what happens.

CJ
Old Nov 10, 2008, 8:33 am

Great News for MEA I have yet to try their new C class -- booked for early next year from CDG on the A330, hope I'll be able to make it!
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

MEA - Hard Product

Here is a promo about MEA's new interiors.

CJ

http://www.mea.com.lb/MEA/downloads/newmea.exe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.