Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kuwait Airways - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Kuwait Airways - worth it?

Hi, we're looking for xmass holiday in Dubai and there are pretty cheap flights with Kuwait Airways (LHR-KWI-DXB return). Flights are 24.12.2017 LHR-KWI-DXB KU102/KU671 and return 04.01.2018 DXB-KWI-LHR KU676/KU103, if booked with OTA, the price is about £350 in Y. All 4 flight legs seems to be served by new Boeing 777-300ER. So I've got few questions, maybe someone can advice...

- I can't find any flights past October on Kuwait Airways official website (they don't answer e-mails, or phone calls), flights for December are available through OTA only. I've read some bad reports about this airline (cancels flights, long delays etc). Should I book with OTA, won't I face some issues later on?
- Those flights have long layover in Kuwait (7/8 hours), both in the night. I've read somewhere that in Kuwait airport foreign citizens can't stay for more than 3 hours. What options will we have? Book a hotel/taxi for couple hours?
- Lastly... Does it worth the possible trouble? Maybe add some extra £150-200 and fly with more reliable company, and without booking hotels for layover?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:42 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by oruvin
Hi, we're looking for xmass holiday in Dubai and there are pretty cheap flights with Kuwait Airways (LHR-KWI-DXB return). Flights are 24.12.2017 LHR-KWI-DXB KU102/KU671 and return 04.01.2018 DXB-KWI-LHR KU676/KU103, if booked with OTA, the price is about £350 in Y. All 4 flight legs seems to be served by new Boeing 777-300ER. So I've got few questions, maybe someone can advice...

- I can't find any flights past October on Kuwait Airways official website (they don't answer e-mails, or phone calls), flights for December are available through OTA only. I've read some bad reports about this airline (cancels flights, long delays etc). Should I book with OTA, won't I face some issues later on?
- Those flights have long layover in Kuwait (7/8 hours), both in the night. I've read somewhere that in Kuwait airport foreign citizens can't stay for more than 3 hours. What options will we have? Book a hotel/taxi for couple hours?
- Lastly... Does it worth the possible trouble? Maybe add some extra £150-200 and fly with more reliable company, and without booking hotels for layover?
Hi there -

I live in Kuwait/am a Kuwait Airways veteran and have seen/experienced them at their best and worst. While they definitely have made great strides in updating their dilapidated fleet with their beautiful new 773s, their overall product is still very patchy with inconsistent staff, irregular scheduling and frequent delays. To try to answer your questions:

- KU just shifted to a new reservations system so they might be ironing out some kinks. Don't waste your time writing to or calling them - their customer service is truly pathetic and if you're lucky to get a response, it'll most likely be extremely rude or misinformed. Booking with your OTA will probably be a safe bet, delays on flight day notwithstanding.
- KWI has an onsite airport hotel for passengers with layovers around your length, but I've never met anyone who actually stayed there nor do I know how you get access to it since it's located by the hangars and isn't directly connected to the terminal. If you are a national of several countries, you can get a visa on arrival and walk out of the airport, but be warned that while the city's hotels are very good, there is nothing to do in Kuwait in the night, people drive dangerously, traffic is unpredictable and jumping in one of the airport cabs will probably see you painfully ripped off [those drivers really take the mickey out of foreigners, unfortunately].
- Given all of this, I'd honestly recommend booking with a more consistent carrier like EK or BA to get you to DXB without the hassle of a nighttime stopover.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

khabah
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by khabah
- KWI has an onsite airport hotel for passengers with layovers around your length, but I've never met anyone who actually stayed there nor do I know how you get access to it since it's located by the hangars and isn't directly connected to the terminal.
khabah
khabah, do you know if KU will provide hotel for J passengers transiting at KWI for 7 hours at onsite airport hotel? My issue will not be visa but I simply want to stay at the airport for such short duration (long but not long enough for me to want to go outside).
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:31 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by vincewy
khabah, do you know if KU will provide hotel for J passengers transiting at KWI for 7 hours at onsite airport hotel? My issue will not be visa but I simply want to stay at the airport for such short duration (long but not long enough for me to want to go outside).
vincewy -

KU is NOT set up as a transit airline so, in my experience, they will not do anything for you other than offer you a pass to use their lounge at KWI [if I recall correctly, I've seen exact words saying the airport hotel is for "eight hours and above."] From what I've seen, the KU lounge was renovated not too long ago but KWI is a small and absolutely dismal airport so you won't have much to do there.

Happy to help with anything else you may need.

khabah
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by oruvin

Looks like BA non-stop is available on your dates for ~£150 more, seems like it would be money well spent
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:07 am
lsi

Thought I'd revive this thread for my own, similar purposes:

Looking at possibly flying LHR-KWI-BKK return with the family for Easter due to fares being very low (currently a full £950 cheaper in total than the next best option). The no alcohol thing is no fun but also no deal-breaker (I guess there is a thing to be said for staying sober when flying long haul with two under 12s in tow anyway), economy product looks surprisingly competitive (3-3-3 on new 777s, yey). Question is: The outbound leg involves a 6 hour 55 minute stopover in KWI (00:15 to 07:45).

So... is it feasible to spend that kind of time there without going crazy?

Do anyone have any experiences with overnighting in the Dasman Lounge (are food and drinks still available at night? Is the wifi passable? Is it full of sleeping people? Are there power sockets?)?

In general: Is this something you would subject your family to in order to save near enough £1k?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:42 pm

Dasman lounge open 24 hours with food and beverages, plenty of room, not usually very busy, especially at night. WiFi good, worth overnight to save 1000 quid IMO
lsi likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:42 pm

And lots of power sockets
Old Sep 25, 2019, 5:44 pm
lsi

Would also be interested in hearing what kind of experiences people have had flying economy with these guys... online reviews seem mixed at best...
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
My company just booked me on KU in first on the 773 KWI-JFK then connecting to a DL flight. At first I was kinda bummed out and thought about trying to get my company to change it because I found a similar fare on Turkish. After looking at several YouTube reviews of their 773 first class product, I got to say that the product looks pretty good. Enclosed pod, decent menu, decent lounge in KWI, so I'm willing to give it a shot now. The only downside is no miles partners and I'm ever so close to Platinum on United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.