Wiki Posts
Search

Ethiopian and state of emergency in the country

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, TK ElitePlus
Ethiopian and state of emergency in the country

Ethiopia has declared a 6months state of emergency a few days ago with severe restrictions for travel and overall, non-essential travel to Ethiopia is not recommended by most countries.

Our trip to Ethiopia has been cancelled.

Does anybody know how Ethiopian handles refunds in this case for non or partially refundable flights?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:40 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
No experience, but I'm guessing that Ethiopian won't be interested in refunding a non-refundable ticket. This is what travel insurance is for.

[You say that your trip 'has been cancelled'.. by who?]
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, TK ElitePlus
The tour organizer cancelled the trip - which I would expect given the situation in the area we were to visit. I presume that tourism will stop completely.

We got our flight tickets directly with Ethiopian; but our travel insurance policy doesn't seem to cover this unfortunately. Will enquire though.

JJBe
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:21 am

If it is a non-refundable ticket, ET will not and should not refund.

I suggest that as you need an alternative holiday anyhow, get in contact with ET and see where you can fly to, CONNECTING in ADD. So buy another ticket to a new final holiday destination, like Nairobi or Zanzibar. See if ET will give you a special discount.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:37 am
RJ1

FWIW, the Ethiopian Tourism Organization (apparently a government board) issued the following statement to travel organizations. I found a reference to it over on the Ethiopia forum on TripAdvisor, but there does not seem to be link on the ETO website. I agree with others that it seems unlikely ET would refund a non-refundable ticket.

The Ethiopian Tourism Organization (ETO) presents its compliments and highest appreciation to all tourism stakeholders in Ethiopia and worldwide and wishes to clarify the context of the recent emergency proclamation that was issued by the Ethiopian Government on October 8, 2016.

Some of our valued stakeholders have asked us to explain the possible impact of the short-term proclamation on their travel plans to Ethiopia. Accordingly, the ETO would like to inform all concerned travelers that the purpose of this proclamation is to align and coordinate various initiatives that will allow the Ethiopian Government to increase safety measures in the Regional States, in lights of the protests that prevailed in some parts of the country.

These measures do not constitute any key of obstacles to the daily lives of Ethiopia citizens, or visitors traveling to our country and do not contain any limitations to international tourism and aviation traffic.

All Ethiopian Airlines domestic and international flights including those flights operated by other Airlines are safely and securely operating as per the schedule. Road transport is also regularly operating in all corners of the country.

The Ethiopian Tourism Organization invites leisure travelers and/or business groups to book their trip to Ethiopia with confidence. As always in the past, our guests’ safety and security is our first priority. We would like to assure all stakeholders that our tourism destination sites across Ethiopia remain safe and open to travelers.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by RJ1
FWIW, the Ethiopian Tourism Organization (apparently a government board) issued the following statement to travel organizations. I found a reference to it over on the Ethiopia forum on TripAdvisor, but there does not seem to be link on the ETO website. I agree with others that it seems unlikely ET would refund a non-refundable ticket.

The Ethiopian Tourism Organization (ETO) presents its compliments and highest appreciation to all tourism stakeholders in Ethiopia and worldwide and wishes to clarify the context of the recent emergency proclamation that was issued by the Ethiopian Government on October 8, 2016.

Some of our valued stakeholders have asked us to explain the possible impact of the short-term proclamation on their travel plans to Ethiopia. Accordingly, the ETO would like to inform all concerned travelers that the purpose of this proclamation is to align and coordinate various initiatives that will allow the Ethiopian Government to increase safety measures in the Regional States, in lights of the protests that prevailed in some parts of the country.

These measures do not constitute any key of obstacles to the daily lives of Ethiopia citizens, or visitors traveling to our country and do not contain any limitations to international tourism and aviation traffic.

All Ethiopian Airlines domestic and international flights including those flights operated by other Airlines are safely and securely operating as per the schedule. Road transport is also regularly operating in all corners of the country.

The Ethiopian Tourism Organization invites leisure travelers and/or business groups to book their trip to Ethiopia with confidence. As always in the past, our guests’ safety and security is our first priority. We would like to assure all stakeholders that our tourism destination sites across Ethiopia remain safe and open to travelers.
But the US government is advising its citizens to differ visit at this time.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/ethiopia-travel-warning.html
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:27 am
RJ1

Originally Posted by AndrewM
But the US government is advising its citizens to differ visit at this time.

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html
Yes, I got this message from the US State Dept on Oct 21, advising US citizens to defer all non-essential travel to Ethiopia.

Earlier this year I had booked travel on ET, transiting Addis Ababa both outbound and inbound. My inbound involved a 17 hour layover, and I had made plans for a day tour of the city. As it turned out, ET cancelled my flight about a week ago. Don't know if the cancellation was related to the state of emergency or not, but I had to rebook nevertheless. I am now flying other carriers and avoiding Addis Ababa entirely on the inbound. My outbound flight is still on ET, and I have a 4 hour layover at Bole. With just 4 hours, I clearly don't plan to leave the airport.

Last edited by RJ1; Oct 23, 2016 at 8:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.