17 hour layover at ADD, eligible for free hotel?

Old May 6, 2016, 6:18 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Class of travel is the only way to pretty much guarantee the Hilton.

The only benefit *G has is the priority lines to pick up the voucher and go through immigration. Which can easily save you an hour at the worst times.
I am guessing/hoping business class customers will also have access to the priority lanes?
Old May 7, 2016, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by RJ1
I am guessing/hoping business class customers will also have access to the priority lanes?
Yes. Cloud Nine pax, ShebaMiles Elite and Star Gold.
Old May 10, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Class of travel is the only way to pretty much guarantee the Hilton.

The only benefit *G has is the priority lines to pick up the voucher and go through immigration. Which can easily save you an hour at the worst times.
Just used this twice in the past week. For the OP I'd request your vouchers at the departure airport rather than wait until you get to ADD. Sometimes the queues at the transit counter can be long and they have a bad habit of not paying attention to the Clould 9 lane which is supposed to receive priority.

I could only get the Hilton from the staff at Narita (*G in Economy), but the contract staff who handle ET flights here are totally incompetent (multiple mistakes, not only this), so they put the wrong dates on our vouchers and didn't stamp them. Immigration in ADD wouldn't accept them and sent us back to the transit counter. At this point, ET staff took the Hilton away from me and put us in the Friendship International Hotel (it was perfectly fine but not the Hilton). I argued about it for a good 5 minutes to no avail. Really pissed me off that they took my Hilton voucher away. In hindsight I shouldn't have given it to them because I actually have an Ethiopian visa so didn't need the transit visa package, just a hotel voucher. My partner needed a valid voucher though for the transit visa and I stupidly gave the staff both vouchers together.

On the return I got the vouchers in Cairo but didn't request the Hilton since the Cairo staff initially said they didn't have our vouchers pre-printed and would have to get them in ADD. The check in agent surprised me at the gate when he handed them to us. This time it was the Empire Addis International Hotel. Again, the hotel was fine, but it's not on the main street, you drive back a dirt (mud) road around a block to get to it. Fine in a car, but a problem later when walking out to do anything.

As for passport stamps, this time they did put stamps in our passports. The first day it was both entry and exit. The following week it was entry stamp only, and no exit stamp.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:19 am

I'll be getting the free hotel on a layover next week. I'm hoping not to have to withdraw any Ethiopian currency. The only thing I'm worried about is tipping. Would I be expected to tip the bus driver to the hotel?
Old May 26, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: TK Elite, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Vuzuggu
I'll be getting the free hotel on a layover next week. I'm hoping not to have to withdraw any Ethiopian currency. The only thing I'm worried about is tipping. Would I be expected to tip the bus driver to the hotel?
There is absolutely no need to tip the shuttle driver (this is not common outside of the USA) and it is possible to get by without any cash while using the transit hotel (as the vouchers include meals), but you may want to have some small denomination dollar bills to pay for drinks etc.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:20 am
RJ1

For anyone who has taken advantage of the hotel program, a couple of questions. Our itinerary is ET Flt 848, JNB-ADD (arrival 6:00am), then departing ET Flt 504 ADD-DUB-LAX. Travelling in Cloud 9 business class.

+ Assuming a 6:00am arrival at ADD, approximately what time should we expect to be delivered at the hotel?

+ By what time do we need to be back at the airport for the continuing flight?

ET's website says that passengers to the USA must be present at the airport 3 hours before departure, but I was wondering since our flight has a stop at DUB first, would this still apply?

Asking these questions because we are planning some touring while on this 16 hour layover.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:46 am

Traveling in Cloud Nine, you should be allocated the Hilton so expect to be at the hotel no later than 730am if the flight is on time, but more likely closer to 645am depending on the lines and traffic.

On the return, you will be advised your pickup time. Non-negotiable. The bus will be there and they will harass the life out of you till you show up in the lobby and board it. It will probably be departing the Hilton around 3 hours prior to departure. Traffic in the evenings can be a bit more so that will give you about an hour in the lounge before you need to board.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:11 pm
RJ1

Traveling in Cloud Nine, you should be allocated the Hilton so expect to be at the hotel no later than 730am if the flight is on time, but more likely closer to 645am depending on the lines and traffic.

On the return, you will be advised your pickup time. Non-negotiable. The bus will be there and they will harass the life out of you till you show up in the lobby and board it. It will probably be departing the Hilton around 3 hours prior to departure. Traffic in the evenings can be a bit more so that will give you about an hour in the lounge before you need to board.
Thanks very much for this response, and for your other responses as well. Much appreciated.

I was contemplating a situation where a local tour operator would pick me up at the hotel around midday, and then drop me off at the airport after touring and dinner. Is that an option if I make it clear to the shuttle staff in advance?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by RJ1
I was contemplating a situation where a local tour operator would pick me up at the hotel around midday, and then drop me off at the airport after touring and dinner. Is that an option if I make it clear to the shuttle staff in advance?
Yes, if you are already out of the hotel not much they can do to bother you! Just make sure you have your onward boarding passes already in hand.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Arnur
There is absolutely no need to tip the shuttle driver (this is not common outside of the USA) and it is possible to get by without any cash while using the transit hotel (as the vouchers include meals), but you may want to have some small denomination dollar bills to pay for drinks etc.
Do you think is also accepted?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Sciamano
Do you think is also accepted?
The only problem with Euro is that the smallest paper note you have is 5. I've seen many situations where exchange bureaus overseas will not accept coins, so Euro tips could end up being a mere souvenir for the average Ethiopian than something they can convert to Bir and spend. Dollar is more convenient for small denominations for that reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.