Wiki Posts
Search

Royal Jordanian 787 seat advice plse

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Royal Jordanian 787 seat advice plse

Hi folks, apologies in advance if previously covered (harder to search on sub-forum covering multiple carriers!) but looking for thoughts/advice on Royal Jordanian 787 seat selection in business.

Will be my first 787 flight, and first-ever with RJ. Only a short sector (HKG-BKK), and I understand their J config is 2-2-2 in 4 rows, so 24 in total.

Any preferences ....?

TIA ^
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Personally I prefer an aisle seat in row 4,I just like to be at the back of the cabin. Other than that there is not much diffirence between the seats.

4D is to be avoided,as the seat next to it (4G) is occupied by the sky marshall.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response Rami Tamimi ^

In between posting my query and hearing from you, I decided to go for 1A whilst still available. I always try for a window anyway, and it's rare (though not entirely unheard of !) that 1A is a 'duff' choice on any aircraft type/carrier.

Note what you say re sky marshall, which presumably (?) explains why 4G doesn't actually appear on the map.

Not relevant to yourself given that you prefer aisle .... but I seem to recall reading somewhere that row 4 is not the best choice for window views (either because it's missing a window, or is 'misaligned' ....?)
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Thanks for the response Rami Tamimi ^

In between posting my query and hearing from you, I decided to go for 1A whilst still available. I always try for a window anyway, and it's rare (though not entirely unheard of !) that 1A is a 'duff' choice on any aircraft type/carrier.

Note what you say re sky marshall, which presumably (?) explains why 4G doesn't actually appear on the map.

Not relevant to yourself given that you prefer aisle .... but I seem to recall reading somewhere that row 4 is not the best choice for window views (either because it's missing a window, or is 'misaligned' ....?)
You are correct,the window is far from the seat (sorry I did not mention that straight away,as I said I prefer the aisle,so I did not think about it right away),also HKG-BKK operates at "dark time of the day" if I a may say so,so not much to look out for,except take off and landing.

There is a good pic of the window position here:http://www.planepics.org/spotterbrow...zrh1015/11.jpg

Re:4G,correct. The physical seat is acually there and it's exactly the same as any other seat in the cabin,but the sky marshall always sits there,so it does not show on the map. Nothing wrong with them,I took a ton of pictures,they saw that and nothing has ever been said...still I personally prefer 4C

Re:HKG-BKK itself:note that it is a cold meal service,(BKK-HKG is hot meal) and do keep the boarding pass handy until you disembark at BKK,because airport staff will check them once you get off the jet bridge,otherwise they will ask to produce your passport and search for your name on the manifest (and that may take an extra 30-45 seconds).

Do let me know if you have other questions!

PS:I mentioned that in other threads,I am a regular on that route,with next my next flight this saturday,you never know if we might end up on the same flight
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Hi again Rami T.

Many thanks for all the additional info. I do like detail, so it's much appreciated ^

Have noted what you say re boarding pass, and also the cold meal service. The latter is not a problem in itself, but does raise a minor query .....am wondering if I should perhaps eat in the lounge before the flight .....? However .....I know nothing about the actual facilities in the lounge used by RJ pax at HKG ....is it something called "The Travellers Lounge" (??), presumably a 'generic' lounge and hence very ordinary in terms of catering options ....??

PS .... Yes....who knows .....could end up travelling on same flight
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Hi again Rami T.

Many thanks for all the additional info. I do like detail, so it's much appreciated ^

Have noted what you say re boarding pass, and also the cold meal service. The latter is not a problem in itself, but does raise a minor query .....am wondering if I should perhaps eat in the lounge before the flight .....? However .....I know nothing about the actual facilities in the lounge used by RJ pax at HKG ....is it something called "The Travellers Lounge" (??), presumably a 'generic' lounge and hence very ordinary in terms of catering options ....??

PS .... Yes....who knows .....could end up travelling on same flight
Correct,at check in in HKG airport (or at in town check in/transit desk) you will be issued with a lounge invitation for Premium Plaza lounge (renamed from Travellers Lounge).As you are a J class passenger departing on a oneworld airline ,all the oneworld lounges are open to you (CX/QF),which are much much better than the PP lounge and you can visit any of them/all of them (hey,we are on flyertalk ).

As an Emerald ,I normally use The Wing/The Pier First class,so don't have too much experience with J lounges,(I only go there about an hour before boarding just to be closer to my gate),but The Bridge/QF lounge are the best in my opinion and G16 the worst.

Would be happy to guest you in The Pier /The Wing First class (unless you are Emerald?!) if we happen to be on the same flight,so feel free to let me know of your flight date in PM if you wish!

Last edited by Rami Tamimi; Apr 11, 2017 at 10:26 am
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks again.

Ok, the Plaza Prem lounge doesn't sound very attractive, and I had somehow forgotten completely about alternative OW facilities available to me when departing in J with a member carrier, so a useful reminder ^. Was focussing on the default RJ lounge at HKG (as per their own website), but will definitely take your advice and head for one of the preferable CX/QF options.

As an aside, there are (as you probably know) some very respectable lounges within the Priority Pass 'network'. A good recent experience was (surprisingly !) a newly-opened PP lounge at one of the LHR terminals ; have also used some very decent ones down in South America when travelling on low-cost Y-only carriers.

You have a PM.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:18 am

Do you get the amentinities kit in J on the BKK to HKG flight?

And given its a sub 3hour flight is it worth stumping up for J?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by DannoTheManno
Do you get the amentinities kit in J on the BKK to HKG flight?

And given its a sub 3hour flight is it worth stumping up for J?
Technically they don't,but if you ask nicely and they have some spares (which they normally do) they would not refuse you.

Is it worth it? BKK-HKG is a full hot lunch service,HKG-BKK is a late night cold snacks service. In Y it's a cold snack service both ways. It's a flat bed in J in any case (A332 or B787),but Y on 787 is still super comfortable,unlike 332.

The fare diffirence is what? 5000THB/140USD? It's probably worth it,but I personally stick to Y on this route...but then again I am Emerald with RJ and get access to the CX lounges both ways (I would happily pay 100USD just to to go to The Pier F) and I get Premium Lane (BKK) and priority check in/boarding anyways which is vital in airports like BKK. They also block the adjacent seat(s) for OWE and I know all the crew operating the BKK flight,so I don't really need more comfort/attention/food&drink. I also don't need extra miles/tier points/credits or whatever,but this maybe an important factor for some on this board.

Regards
Rami

Last edited by Rami Tamimi; Aug 30, 2016 at 1:26 pm
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
We flew JFK-AMM in 3E and 3F, and flow AMM-ORD in 1A and 1B.

Personally, I liked 1A and 1B much better. With no seat in front of you there is slightly more legroom since the "head" of the window seat in front of you impedes on the legroom in rows 2, 3, and 4.

In addition, seat 1C and 1D are back a little to make room for a small counter and storage area, so 1A and 1B are even more isolated.

Overall, I very much enjoyed the experience. The headphone and charging jacks are a bit hard to reach behind your head, but the seat is very comfortable and the service was very good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.