Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Connection in Nairobi

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:19 am
Original Poster

International Connection in Nairobi

I am flying on Emirates from New York to Nairobi, with a 2.5+ hour layover in Nairobi and then on Kenya Airways to Kigali. Separate tickets with Emirates (award ticket) and Kenya Airways (paid ticket). Is it possible to check baggage through from New York to Kigali, or will I have to collect it in Nairobi and recheck to Kigali? What is procedure for changing planes in Nairobi, i.e., will I have to go through immigration to collect baggage, and then recheck in for Kigali flight, and if so, what are logistics? If luggage can be checked through from New York to Kigali, is this a good idea or too much risk it will get lost? I have a multi-entry visa for Kenya already, if that helps. Thanks for anyone's experience and help.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
EK have an interline agreement with KQ - but I don't know whether this means they will through-check a bag on two entirely separate tickets. Perhaps someone else with direct experience can advise?

If EK are able to check your bags all the way through to KGL, then an international transfer at NBO is very straightforward. Coming off the plane, make sure you follow the signs for international transfers, not arrivals (especially if you're bussed to the terminal, there may be separate stops). Once in the terminal, if you don't have a boarding card for the KQ flight, you can get it from the KQ transfer desk or one of the self-service machines, near gate 5. You can then go straight to the gate for the KGL flight. You will need to pass through security to enter the gate area, but shouldn't need to pass through Immigration.

If your bags are not checked all the way through, then you will need to follow the signs for arrivals, clear Immigration, collect your baggage, and walk over to Terminal 1C* to check-in again, and go out through Immigration, in order to get to the departures area. Having a (multiple-entry) visa in advance will help with this (as immigration queues are often longer if you don't already have a visa) but it could still take some time. (Alternatively, you could stay airside and ask at the transfer desk for KQ staff to go and locate your bags for you. However, I am not sure whether they will do this - and with the 'new' (post-fire) layout at the airport, once you are in departures you no longer have an easy option to change your mind and go through Immigration to look for your bags yourself).

In theory, if your bags are checked all the way through, 2.5hrs for a transfer at NBO is fine. If you need to re-check your bags, then 2.5hrs is probably doable, as long as EK arrives on time - but is quite tight.

However, my bigger concern would be how flexible your KQ ticket is. As you are on two separate tickets, a delay to either of your EK flights (JFK-DXB or DXB-NBO) that caused you to miss your departure from NBO would be your problem. Neither EK or KQ would protect you in this case, and unless your KQ ticket allows no-shows, you could find yourself having to purchase an entirely new ticket. Personally, I would feel that 2.5hrs is too tight for an itinerary on separate tickets, unless the second ticket is fully flexible.

* Flights to KGL are not on the list of flights that have been moved to the new Terminal 1A, and so presumably still depart from Terminal 1C. However, keep an eye on this, as it could have changed by the time you travel (my understanding is that eventually all KQ flights will depart from Terminal 1A).
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:23 pm

Buy insurance to protect against the costly possibility of a misconnect.

Contact KQ in Dubai if your EK flight is late to avoid the no show. +97142292000
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
I actually have not looked/asked how international transfers work post-fire. It used to be quite straightforward. To me it seems that everyone is bussed to the "arrivals" but there may be a section/stop for transit passengers. Again I haven't taken the time to ask/take notice but you should ask the ground staff once you reach NBO. In any case EK719 arrives at a non-peak time at JKIA so if you have to go through immigration/get a visa it shouldn't be too bad.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by kq747
I actually have not looked/asked how international transfers work post-fire. It used to be quite straightforward. To me it seems that everyone is bussed to the "arrivals" but there may be a section/stop for transit passengers.
I've had various experiences post-fire, depending on where the aircraft was parked, and how many pax there were. Including, IIRC:
- Two separate buses, one going to arrivals and one to international transfers
- One bus, stopping separately at arrivals and international transfers
- Bus for arrivals; and international transfer pax walking straight up the steps to the departures terminal

However, I am not sure how the gradual shift of KQ departures to Terminal 1A is affecting things.

Originally Posted by kq747
Again I haven't taken the time to ask/take notice but you should ask the ground staff once you reach NBO.
Indeed. There are normally several KQ staff around (sometimes holding signboards to indicate the different options) who you can approach for advice. (However, although they will be able to direct you to arrivals or transfers as required, I very much doubt they would be able to advise on the status of your baggage).
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Just a heads up, all flights to Kigali now operate out of 1A from today.

https://twitter.com/KenyaAirways/sta...51733832196096

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.